Author Topic: Wing foil board build  (Read 9131 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Wing foil board build
« on: October 17, 2020, 11:04:42 AM »
so going to build a board to learn on. Thanks for the help from people so far for dimensions, volume etc. Its going to be about 6x29. See on the thickness.
 I had some pieces of foam left from some SUPs.
Vac bagged them together with PU glue.
Cut a 30 cm section out of the middle.
 Glued 5mm airex to the sides and top of the middle section.
Made a sled to get a nice flat section on the back half of the board.
Looks like it will go back together!

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wing foil board build
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 11:07:23 AM »
looks like I need to re-size my photos differently!

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 11:52:22 AM »
Try this size?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 03:38:53 PM »
Looks good man! I like the idea of the foam stringers. I think your size is right on for learning and more.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 10:19:58 PM »
Here are the pics again.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 10:41:41 PM by tarquin »

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 11:29:10 PM »
I have tacked it all back together with a little PU glue. The idea is too shape it now. Then break the sides off and wrap the central part separately. What could possibly go wrong?
 I am thinking the PU will stick better to the HD foam and just rip out chunks of EPS where the glue is. I can just fill those areas.
 Maybe I should have shaped it first then cut out the central part. Not much planning just attacked it!
 Is it better to make a template for the outline or just mark the foam and cut it?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:38:10 PM by tarquin »

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 11:11:55 PM »
Look what came in the post.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 06:39:47 AM »

Are you going to reinforce that track box to the TOP deck with high density foam or steel?  I have never trusted Dual Tracks unless I knew DW built them with Dual Chinook extensions that look like Tuttle boxes going to the top deck. 

I had a board with that type of cassette and it lasted 5 sessions before melting down.  And that was on my small wave 6' board that I only rode in the summer on small waves.

Beware, enhance or use a Tuttle box. 

Here is what the replacement looked like 5 hours into the repair.  Not fun on a new board.

You can see the purple foam only goes down ~3" which was to the depth of the crappy 2 track cassette. 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:47:04 AM by Beasho »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 07:24:34 AM »
Those boxes are easy to reinforce. I got 2 scrap pieces of HD foam and put them at the front and back of the boxes and then 2 layers of carbon, 2 of glass and it’s bombproof.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 11:09:11 AM »
So the carbon has arrived and yes I plan to reinforce the box somehow. Need to get it shaped first.
 Got a few skateboards on the go now!
 So as normal its going to take longer than expected.
 But thats not a problem as we are back in a semi confinement in France and water sports are not allowed again.
 My Dad always said its only stupid the second time you do it! So the second wave being worst than the first is,well stupid!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 04:21:43 PM »
Man, hang in there and yeah, we are gonna have a tough winter, though I keep hearing it’s going away any day now.  :o

Good thing you have a project to keep you busy. Reminds me, I’d better order some foam and glass before we lock down again.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 05:06:36 PM »
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=36637.0;attach=107460;image
You might think about stringers next to the boxes to tie/glue the boxes to for greater strength to distribute the forces along the length of the board, and not just rely on the Divinycell foam and carbon overlayment to hold them.

Just a drawing for example...but what I've had done with my boards.

If you look closely at one of my first boards....

...you can see the cuts already in it to glue in the stringers since the blank didn't come with them, and that in that one we didn't use any Divinycell, and I didn't have a single problem with it at all, and have unintentionally banged it on the bottom plenty of times w/o any problem at all.

The boards after that one do have Divinycell in the box area similar to yours, but the stringers are cut through it, and boxes glued to them the same just as an added precaution (maybe overkill, but "better safe than sorry" as they say :) ).

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 05:10:24 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 06:22:24 PM »
I did this on my orange prone board too. I’m curious to see how it holds up. No HD foam either. But my SUP is just the foam cassette and it’s been fine too. But my weight is easy on boards compared to a grown ass man like San O.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal