Author Topic: Riding offset - advantages ?  (Read 4623 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Riding offset - advantages ?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 08:16:32 AM »
A couple of things.

If you have inserts everywhere you're probably going to wind up with a board full of water. Most inserts in common use are ganged--5-hole is typical. The typical chinook 5 hole body is 1/2" wide and an inch deep--very stiff. They're glued into EPS with at best a few layers of glass over them. Even a sandwich board flexes when you step on it--that's just macro-level physics. It could be a very small flex, but a mouse walking on a steel girder flexes it. You ain't no mouse and your board ain't no girder. When you step on an insert the board flexes and the insert--not as much. If you ever see bubbles coming up around your insert you know what happened--it cracked away. You can limit that by putting a screw and washer in both ends of even unused inserts, but I rarely see that. My new board will have NO inserts. I'll use the NSI stick-ons if I need some.

As far as offset goes, everyone who is successfully foiling puts their feet where they need them. That generally means the toes or the ball of your front foot on or close to the centerline. You can cheat your weight to your heel or your toes. The location of the footstrap is an approximation, and if your strap is loose, as most front straps are (if you're not jumping), it's even less meaningful.

I've enjoyed watching Derek do his thing several times. His control of the foil is amazing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal