Author Topic: More NH surfing with the Maltese brothers.  (Read 4837 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: More NH surfing with the Maltese brothers.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 06:36:52 PM »
Now back to the West Coast SUP hater's  ;D Love that! Live that.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 06:59:57 PM »

Yeah, that California attitude is weird. There is no SUP hate in New England that I know of. Just good vibes most of the time.

Kooks are another matter, but even they are usually dealt with politely. If anyone ever started yelling profanities at someone they would look like a total idiot. A good vibe in the line up is something worth protecting.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 07:15:57 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 09:49:54 PM »

Yeah, that California attitude is weird. There is no SUP hate in New England that I know of. Just good vibes most of the time.

Kooks are another matter, but even they are usually dealt with politely. If anyone ever started yelling profanities at someone they would look like a total idiot. A good vibe in the line up is something worth protecting.

There is the California attitude and then there is Santa Cruz. Speaking about SUP hate ...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 05:01:52 AM »
There is the California attitude and then there is Santa Cruz. Speaking about SUP hate ...

I had to Google it. Santa Cruz appears to be very SUP friendly. 
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 09:24:29 AM »
The tide is probably wrong for it, but that point with the rocks on the outside looks like it might kick out some decent surf.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 10:15:54 AM »
The tide is probably wrong for it, but that point with the rocks on the outside looks like it might kick out some decent surf.

The rocky point is called Corner Rock which is actually an exposed ledge. It's only ridable around high tide when it's shoulder high or bigger. It's rarely crowded because most people prefer the beach break and it's a bit of a hike or a long paddle to get there. It's a nice SUP or longboard wave with very long rides but it's not consistent. Wave quality is sensitive to wind and swell direction. It does have some dangers. The water over the ledge is very shallow and if you take off too close to it when the wave begins to break, it can drop you right on the rock. If you can avoid that, the rest of the ride is fairly safe.

This is what it looks like from Google satellite.  https://goo.gl/maps/g7ZL3RP7L1Lxx1Kq8

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 10:54:22 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 02:00:16 PM »

I've never been to to any New England states so it's not for me to dispute, but plenty of SUP surfers I know on the East coast (New Jersey, North Carolina, Florida) have said SUP hate is alive and well. Also several East Coast surfing forums, including New England say the same so it's interesting for me to see people ask if this is a California thing.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 03:16:22 PM »
I've never been to to any New England states so it's not for me to dispute, but plenty of SUP surfers I know on the East coast (New Jersey, North Carolina, Florida) have said SUP hate is alive and well. Also several East Coast surfing forums, including New England say the same so it's interesting for me to see people ask if this is a California thing.

Can you give a link to those forums?  I'd love to read what they have to say.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 06:51:46 PM »
I've been both places, up and down the coasts everywhere you can surf without a passport. I've seen it in spades in California, Oregon, and Washington, never on the East Coast. Not even a hint. Someone is blowing smoke up your ass. Seeing something in a forum has NOTHING to do with what happens in the water. I've had people get right in my face on the West Coast, and the vibe is constant, even if it's just an undertone. Nothing but smiles on the East Coast. Everybody is happy to see Creek and my brother (though I will admit, most people woud think twice, or maybe five times before giving Bob (stoneaxe) shit. He looks like he'd pop your head off like a zit.) I think most of the folks posting hardass shit on the surf forums are wannabees living in their mom's basement buying Pringles by the case.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 07:21:02 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 10:13:13 PM »
I wouldn't say it's all smiles. There are one or two hardcore shortboard spots in NH where SUPs might not be welcome, and that's perfectly understandable because there are very few paddleboarders who are competent enough to control a SUP in those conditions when it's crowded, but I think if someone did show up with a 7'2 X 23" SUP at these places, and could ride it well, they would likely get some respect once they are seen catching a few waves. Being a local would help a lot as well.

Still, even if a typical SUP rider did go to one of these spots which does happen occasionally, no one is going to get aggressively angry at you unless you become a threat to safety. If you were getting in the way, they would simply block you and not let you have any waves. They might also mention that you probably shouldn't surf there and explain why. If there was a collision, you would likely be blamed.

We aren't missing much by not surfing these spots. They are usually so crowded that everyone's wave count is very low.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:15:01 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 09:11:17 AM »
I wouldn't say it's all smiles. There are one or two hardcore shortboard spots in NH where SUPs might not be welcome
I've been sup surfing Plum for the past few years but have been wanting to venture north for better breaks that aren't so dependent on shifting sandbars and tide and this is the reason I haven't done so yet... I don't want to roll up to a non-sup spot. For the most part it's been really relaxed at Plum, but there was definitely a couple good days I can remember when it got "competitive" and some words were exchanged.
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 10:15:35 AM »
I wouldn't say it's all smiles.

Of course I'm just talking about my own experiences. It's a huge difference. I've paddled out to a cold, sharky, fairly miserable spot on the Oregon Coast with one surfer out and had him rant at me about being on a SUP.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 02:19:54 PM »
I've been sup surfing Plum for the past few years but have been wanting to venture north for better breaks that aren't so dependent on shifting sandbars and tide and this is the reason I haven't done so yet... I don't want to roll up to a non-sup spot. For the most part it's been really relaxed at Plum, but there was definitely a couple good days I can remember when it got "competitive" and some words were exchanged.

Hey, do you know Chris Cronin and Craig Grimes? They live nearby and SUP Plum Island a lot. They also come to NH fairly often.

I think the only spots in NH you might want to avoid are Rye on the Rocks and Fox Hill. The same guys that surf these two rocky points also surf at the Wall across from 10th Street. You might get some stink eye there but no one will say anything. The Wall is a long beach so just choose a different access point than 10th Street.

SUPs are usually tolerated at all the other point breaks and ledges, but if you don't know how to control your board, don't surf these places. I tell all beginners, learn to turn and kick out of waves off the beach. Don't come to a point break, fall down a lot and get in the way or you'll just ruin it for everyone, and you'll make SUPs look bad. All the point breaks are rocky so it's easy to tell if you are at a point break. There are close to 20 point and reef breaks in NH. The point break etiquette is different than the beach. Mostly, wait your turn, stay out of the way of people surfing the wave, and don't hog the best waves. If you aren't familiar with surf etiquette, Google it.

All the sandy beaches are SUP friendly. If it's sandy, you can surf anywhere you want with no worries. It's always good to smile, nod and say hello to people on the water as you paddle by them. Almost everyone will smile back. That's a good way to check the vibe on the water.

The two best NH beaches are the North Beach Wall in Hampton and Jenness Beach in Rye. The beach in the video is the Wall. The beaches rarely get crowded this time of year so there is usually plenty of room for everyone. If the tide is high at the Wall, go to Jenness. All the beaches up in Maine are also very SUP friendly.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:01:10 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 05:26:10 AM »

One more thing. NH beaches are very different than Massachusetts beaches. The sand is very hard packed and doesn't shift around much like it does at Plum Island. This makes the surf conditions very consistent. Tide is less of a factor. Some swell directions are better than others but it's always surfable. You can usually depend on certain spots along the beach to always break the same way no matter what time of year you go.

As for those two point breaks I recommended avoiding, you probably wouldn't want to surf those spots anyway. Everywhere else, enjoy. You won't see any SUP hate.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 05:41:21 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal