Author Topic: wing leash  (Read 6411 times)

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
wing leash
« on: October 09, 2020, 03:46:24 PM »
here's a random question I have, which hand do you put your wing leash on, and why?

I always put mine on my left wrist, don't have a good reason, except for maybe it's the downwind side when I'm walking down to the water.  Just wondering if there is a rhyme or reason for the side you choose...

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: wing leash
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 04:49:52 PM »
Right wrist since I am right handed and right calve for SUP.
No reason, just thinking right side is stronger since I use it most. Also crushed left wrist snowboarding. Doctor mentioned to treat it nicer and quit snow boarding. So now I longboard with a land paddle.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 04:52:14 PM by Keys Sup »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 05:15:20 PM »
I teach my students to put it on their dominant side. So right foot forward they go on their right wrist. Reasoning is that they'll ride more with their dominant hand forward on the wing. Heal side, toe side mostly, and then switch foot usually to relax the other foot or get up wind stronger on the switch stance. But that way the leash is mostly not being tensioned to the rear handle all the time.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 05:58:26 PM »
Allan Cadiz tells students to alternate what wrist they put their leash on. I ignore him and put it on my right wrist because, well, no good reason.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 11:15:08 PM »
Left handed here. Ride regular stance but switch all the time. Always a coil leash, always on the right hand. Just started that way for no particular reason and stayed with it ever since.

Only time I completely change the wing leash is when I add a 3 ft extension and attach the wrist cuff to my board leash waist belt instead of my right hand. Required for behind-the-back tacks, .....which I might start up again since the fingers are doing pretty well.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 11:51:40 PM »
Left handed here. Ride regular stance but switch all the time. Always a coil leash, always on the right hand. Just started that way for no particular reason and stayed with it ever since.

Only time I completely change the wing leash is when I add a 3 ft extension and attach the wrist cuff to my board leash waist belt instead of my right hand. Required for behind-the-back tacks, .....which I might start up again since the fingers are doing pretty well.
Was wondering how the behind-the-back tack worked - I was inspired to try one the other day and thankfully tried on land first with my normal wrist leash. Glad it was on land first, as the leash wrap-around bondage salad made me realise a wrist leash would never work unless you made it extra long and pre-wrapped your leash prior to attempt.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 12:20:34 AM »

Was wondering how the behind-the-back tack worked - I was inspired to try one the other day and thankfully tried on land first with my normal wrist leash. Glad it was on land first, as the leash wrap-around bondage salad made me realise a wrist leash would never work unless you made it extra long and pre-wrapped your leash prior to attempt.
Even when you attach the wing leash to your waist belt, you still need to make sure it’s wrapped around your back so that when you pass the wing behind your back the leash is “unraveling” instead of creating an extra wrap. That extra wrap would result in insufficient leash slack when I went to regrab.  Same bondage result!  However smooth and fast you need to be for a plain vanilla tack, multiply it by 2 for behind-the-backs......

https://youtu.be/9Qm8k7S9gwU

Side note: It’s not a wing leash setup I would normally choose if I wasn’t planning on doing any behind-the-back-tacks. It can sometimes be a tangly mess to sort out after a crash
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 12:43:05 AM by obxDave »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 04:52:16 AM »
I use my lead hand in main stance, right, as I’m goofy.

But I do like using waist belt for coming in and going out in surf. I need to extend my leash however as I can’t get a clean side flip due to my leash being too short if it’s not on my hand.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 10:42:53 AM »
I just switched to a non-coiled wrist wing leash. I like it for not getting stuck to itself (coil to coil) and to harness line. Unlike coil, when resetting after falling in, I find this straight leash is a bit more in the way and I often have to lift it on top of the board. So, it is almost a wash which I prefer, but I like straight well enough.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 11:31:27 AM »
i never really thought about it til i started riding waves.  i put it on my wrist that I'm going to be luffing with.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 03:41:26 PM »
For larger surf, I like a waist leash for both board and wing--or at least for the board. I got caught in the Portuguese Triangle with an ankle leash and a wrist leash. When whitewater is taking wing and board in different directions and you're in the middle the result is unpleasant enough that I decided on a different solution.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 01:45:02 PM »
Never gave it much thought either....left, front hand forward in dominant surf stance.  But I prefer to attach it to my belt or harness.  I am careful not to attach it to same belt as my board leash is attached to though -- as worst case scenario, belt failure = losing both wing and board = possible big trouble.  Wearing harness means attached board leash to rear pull line and wing leash to the clip for kite leash, perfect.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 02:08:11 PM »
We think alike. In Hood River I don't worry much about it, I use a calf leash strap attached to one of the dinky FCS leashes, and the standard F-One wrist leash. In Maui I have a board leash attachment on my impact vest and always intended to hook the wing leash to my waist belt/harness, but I haven't extended the lines on the F-Ones enough to make that work. I'll probably do that when I get back to Maui.

lieutenantglorp

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 03:01:53 PM »
I'm a big fan of the bicep leash.  Had a runaway wing when learning using stock Ozone wrist leash where velcro strap doesn't double back through a ring like most leashes  (workaround is to reroute the leash though the big pull ring on the wrist strap).  One wrist hit the other when switching hands and the velcro very quickly and easily released before I could grab it.  After experiencing that I figured there must be a better way.  With bicep leash, there is no interference switching hands.  Huge improvement.   
Infinity B-Line 8'5"
FoilSurfMachines v4 4'9" Rocket 75L
Project Cedrus 85 CM
F-One Phantom 940
Ozone Wasp v2 2.3, 3,4,5

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 08:58:53 AM »
A little off topic -- board lease instead of wrist (wing) lease.

In the video linked below Alan Cadiz talks about and shows his breakaway board lease (sea anchor).  It's a work in progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR5AGh4NcOM&t=2s

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal