Author Topic: wing leash  (Read 6410 times)

WindJunkie

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: wing leash
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 10:22:28 AM »
i never really thought about it til i started riding waves.  i put it on my wrist that I'm going to be luffing with.
I do the same.  Awkward feeling having the leash across my body.  I switch sides depending on which direction the wind is coming from when wave riding.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 05:49:47 PM »
A little off topic -- board lease instead of wrist (wing) lease.

In the video linked below Alan Cadiz talks about and shows his breakaway board lease (sea anchor).  It's a work in progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR5AGh4NcOM&t=2s

I'm ready to see someone try the drogue chute attached to a wing leash so you can ditch the wing after self towing into a wave.  Long paddle back, but could be good with the right spot/conditions. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »
What length board leash are you all using?

As the north shore has awoken from it's summer slumber I've realized having a board leash and wing leash that are similar lengths is not the best idea while being tortured in the whitewater...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 09:48:51 PM »
That's a good idea. Which one you thinking longer?

In shorebreak I've been letting the wing go and holding the board.  But in waves I'd probably try to hold wing and let the board flail. Choices.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 07:47:19 AM »
Hmmm, I should probably send Alan an email about that, though he'll figure it out quickly enough. I made a breakaway drogue leash years ago after being dragged underwater for a ridiculously long time by my F18 after I got tagged on a Maliko run. A light nylon drogue connected to the second leash plug pulled into a thin nylon sock (just a tube I made out of the drogue material). It was held parallel to the leash with rubber bands, with the sock connected to the leash. When the breakaway connector pops the leash is released and the sock got pulled off the drogue. I fiddled with it for a few weeks and gave up--too unreliable to be counted on, and in the surf all the drogue did was pull the board away backward at high speed.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal