Author Topic: Wing foil board for learning  (Read 7115 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wing foil board for learning
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 04:43:41 AM »
Word of warning, you need a flat area (or at least predictable) for the foil to mount to. Also, most wing boards don’t really have rocker, in the traditional sense (at leas not as much as that.)

That looks more like a traditional surf board whereas I started from a dead flat piece of foam so I knew my deck and foil mast were at 90° and my volume was consistent throughout the board.

You can cheat the nose thickness a bit, but the tail really needs volume as that’s where your weight will be when getting up. Look at the side profile of pro boards. They are at least the same thickness through the tail and a lot have a bit more volume (the thickest part of the board) at the foil mount.

Any way you can get a sheet of foam to start from? Even 2 layers of eps insulation  from a builders supply would be better I think, if you don’t have a foam source nearby.

I’m just saying be careful to not waste a few hundred dollars/euros in glass and epoxy and boxes over $40 of foam.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2020, 08:17:36 AM »
???

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »
That looks painfully like the Geezer Foil.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:35:46 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2020, 08:35:25 AM »
Ah, yes, much better view! You’re good to go.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2020, 08:39:07 AM »
I had honestly not seen that. Did it work?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2020, 08:59:17 AM »
Yes and no. Well, okay, actually just no.  I did the math wrong, it was supposed to lift 250 pounds at 4mph. Instead it was probably about 600. I never put enough weight on it to test it. With it barely moving--probably 2mph--it would lift 250 pounds of sandbags and it leaped out of the water and got way up on just a couple of inches of the front wings. The back wing was one of the wooden foil wings from a kit--I forget the name. I made it with no fuselage, just the wing directly on the mast and the whole thing covered in carbon. I was so disgusted with the entire experiment that I never fiddled much with weight distribution but it was easy to get the back wing to overfoil and aerate, which made the thing porpoise uncontrollably.

But you don't get lift without drag, and it dragged like crazy. I could barely get it to maybe 1 mph with a paddle. It turns out that surface-piercing foils are much draggier than submerged--about double the drag. I didn't know that and none of the books i read mentioned it.

Also, it didn't turn--at all. I chickened out for standing on the thing while it got dragged by the boat after watching it porpoise--even with duct tape and foam there were a lot of things on the deck I didn't want to fall on, as you can guess by the picture--but I cheated the weights toward the rail to see how it turned. It didn't. I moved all the weight as close to the rail as i could and it still didn't turn. In fact it barely tilted. Maybe with 600 or so pounds we could have made it tilt and turn, but as it was, nope.

Total clusterfuck, but fun in retrospect. Based on my failed experiment I'd say you have far too much wing on that thing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 09:11:35 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »
Did those wood foils look like these. I bought some too and never used them! The foam wings are RC glider wings.
 Wanted to do exactly what you did on the front of a 14 ft SUP. Decided they were to big and never got around to it.
 Gong has some of there old G10 foils really cheap. I have been thinking about buying them and making something.
 So the 2 blocks are foam are in the bag and clamped down to help get them flat. I will screw a guide either side and sand the back half flat. Again Gong has HD foam blocks with the 2 tracks. So i will buy one of those.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2020, 10:58:51 PM »
Not sure what happened to that pic!
 I need to order hardware.
Front and back foot straps or just front. 2 at the front or 1. Looking at different boards there seems to be a mix.
 Burchas any help with measurements would be appreciated. Distance of foil box from tail and where to put the foot straps especially.
 The block of foam seems huge!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 05:50:21 AM »
For me it was straight forward since I've used existing models on the market to model mine after.
Gong for instance have very detailed shots of their models on their website so for a 6' you can take that pic and Ghost it in Shape 3D over you model
and you'll get exact tracks and straps positions. I've used 2 other makers with board sizes similar to mine for comparison and made and average, they were all within an Inch range or so.
in progress...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2020, 08:00:33 AM »
Yes went to do that and realised my license had expired.  Guess I'll renew it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal