Author Topic: Epic-er Day  (Read 1300 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Epic-er Day
« on: October 08, 2020, 02:42:10 PM »
Holy fukowitz, what is going on? October is supposed to suck in the gorge. At best a bunch of cranky east wind days. Today was supposed to be 10 to 14 in the afternoon. Admin called me before 10 and said "It's cranking, we're going." I take everything he says with a grain of salt since he'll go when it truly sucks because he's a sad wingfoil addict. Unfortunately, I am too, so I dropped everything and went. I got to the event center first and was stunned by the wind level. Well over twenty. I rigged a 4.2 wing and an Axis 1000/440 combo on my short fuselage and 90cm mast. By the time I hit the water the wind had boosted at least another 5mph. It was coming right down the middle of the river, so my plan of immediately heading to the hatchery for a downwind run took quite a few more long reaches than usual.

When the wind rips straight down the middle the swells are even bigger and spicier than normal. These were mega-spicy and the wind built another few mph has I turned to start my run. I held my wing by the stub of my fake boom sticking out past the front handle and the boom just behind the front handle. I could bear down a tiny bit to chase peaks and didn't have to fiddle with bringing the wing back up when I need power. I covered the mile or two back to the Event Center in what felt like second, on a bump and flying the entire way. The river cleared of most people as the wind continued to rise.

I went in and got my 3.5. Survival. The 4.2 was spending all it's time luffed. I blasted around, super powered-up and had a blast. Carving on the swells is pure joy. I went back up to the white salmon bridge to do one more short downwinder. I got up on top of a ridiculous swell that looked like a cliff face on the upriver face and ran along the face to the middle of the river, where I found a prodigious lull--glassy and flat. I stayed in the swell, pumping lightly, and looked upwind for some help. And here it came, an odd band of white rushing towards me. I thought "that's intense" just as I was lifted completely off my board and flung down into the trough. I have no idea how much wind it takes to lift a 215 pound guy in five pounds of wetsuit with a 3.5 meter wing, but I now know it's feasible.

I had to come in to get ready for an oppointment at 3:00pm. It's 2:40. Ciao.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Epic-er Day
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 10:29:32 PM »
I have no idea how much wind it takes to lift a 215 pound guy in five pounds of wetsuit with a 3.5 meter wing, but I now know it's feasible.

Can't believe my Gorge season is over already :(
I will miss this one in particular. All this new fun stuff to learn and how far we came from the way it started out in April. It was always great to see you guys (and others from here), out there.

After a week of chaotic preparation and stress, I made it to Frankfurt. Thought it best to get going while the doors were still relatively open. Walked right through immigration and customs without so much as a temperature check or single health question. So much for travel bans, there are dozens of exceptions available with a little research... I'm just supposed to get tested within three days.

I won't be doing much foiling here for a while but maybe my fingers and sacroiliac will get a chance to heal ;D  Hope to get to the Canaries though asap assuming travel is still possible. Brought my 3.6 and 5.3 Naish along with the 100cm Gong mast, just waiting on some Veloce wings which should arrive any day :)

Have a great winter wherever y'all end up and see you in the spring! I'll be lurking...

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 04:06:40 AM »
Drone Down, Drone Down!  I drowned my drone in the mighty Columbia.  ARGGHHHH.  Entirely my fault.  Who forgets to set return to home?  I can answer that one.  Well, I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later but I was hoping for later. 

Aside from that, wow, was that fun.  Wound up 3.5 and freaking incredible Swell. 

I think/hope we have a month left here.  Last year we went pretty deep into November.  We are going to work hard in November/December and then head to Baja until spring (if Covid allows).  Fingers crossed.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 06:22:29 AM »
I have no idea how much wind it takes to lift a 215 pound guy in five pounds of wetsuit with a 3.5 meter wing, but I now know it's feasible.

Holy Schmitz! It takes 20kts to lift a 185lb kook on a 2200 wing with the 3.5meter FOne... That's without being late for a meeting ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 06:24:29 AM by burchas »
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 09:24:00 AM »
Can't believe my Gorge season is over already :(

I was wondering where the heck you were, it wasn't the kind of day I'd expect you to miss. The river was blissfully empty for most of the time we were out. The crazy days definitely trim the crowds. That and probably most folks didn't expect any wind or didn't bring their nuking gear. As I was leaving a guy went out with a wing that was certainly more than five meters. He looked like he had some idea what he was doing but he got blown onto the sandbar very quickly.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard