Author Topic: Moving to NZ because of the virus  (Read 3083 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Moving to NZ because of the virus
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 12:10:19 PM »
stay where ya are thanks

SimonP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 12:46:18 PM »
NZ will be closed to most mainland US citizens for a very long time, given the continuing US government mishandling of the virus response. I'm surprised she was allowed in, I thought we were only allowing film directors and America's Cup yachtsmen :-)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 01:29:04 PM »
I think it is probably a lot easier to move to the US than to NZ. It is sure as hell a lot easier to keep people out of NZ.

But the easiest thing, is to get a "why America is bad" article published.

The US is one of the most open countries in the world. Couple that with "rugged individualism", 70 times more people, 3.8 MM square miles vs 104 K square miles  and the NZ program probably falls apart pretty quickly. The Author saying it "could" be done in the US is plain wrong.  I just don't think you can get enough buy in to a test and trace program. I know the husband of a contact tracer, and she has "named names" to him. He told me he is flat out shocked at how many people he knows that are very liberal (at least on Facebook), and that when the contact tracer has reached into their personal lives, they bristled right up and told her to leave them alone (in some very nasty ways). This husband has told me he wants to punch people in his community in their face for the stuff they said to his wife. Most Americans are very private (and selfish) by nature, both political sides.
Make paddleboarding great again!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 09:27:13 AM »
stay where ya are thanks

You're welcome, Container.  I understand.  Even my friends in Canada are blowing raspberries my way.

Jim

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 07:27:09 PM »
It doesn't help to have a Federal government in the hands of people who have no idea of what the term "Public Servant" means. I don't expect much from the federal government--I never have. I view them as a monopoly we can't escape. But this is nuts. I saw a bumper sticker today that I wouldn't mind having though I don't know what I'd do with it--certainly wouldn't stick it on anything I own. It said "If you elect a clown, expect a circus". We've got a lotta clowns.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 09:10:05 AM »
I could think of worse places to move to. Just surprised they let them in.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »
From the comments:

"Suzanne Buckspan

October 8, 2020

I am in my 70's and personally would not give up 7 weeks of freedom if you promised me that I would never catch this virus. I also stand with Ben Franklin, Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
All I have to say is, good for them. But the United States has been a beacon to freedom and no where in our constitution are our rights suspended if we are faced with a disease."

And THAT is why I lose sleep. Pure unadulterated selfishness.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 07:13:15 AM »
"I am in my 70's and personally would not give up 7 weeks of freedom if you promised me that I would never catch this virus."  Is she already feverish? That's bravado of the ignorant.  I could get that coming from a college freshman or some young guy who got big tires for his F-150.  She (I don't know her) is nuts  ...stupid even. Even tho' the acutal likeyhood of catching this is small on a global scale, her prospects on becoming ill, compared to that college freshman, are not so rosy.

I can't say three years in the Army was 'giving up freedom' or waiting for my tomato plants to fruit was giving up the freedom to eat store-bought, but C'hit... if there was a 7-week, stay at home, pre-cure:  Here's my keys.

Jim

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 10:59:45 AM »
My wife is a school counselor and most schools are not open here in WA except for private and a few in rural areas. What keeps me up at night is my wife dealing with kids experiencing actual trauma caused by these school lockdowns. Literally, last night I was up consoling her between midnight and 2 am. Every student gets a school provided Chrome book and if they are in grades 1-5 every time the kid triggers a key word "abuse, suicide, kill, etc" it pings on my wife's computer and she gets to try and deal with it. What is really troubling her is that she had a case load of kids she knew would suffer, but is now getting a lot of extra kids who she would have never expected to suffer. Last night was sobbing "These are babies!" "They are doing their best, and their parents still can't handle this stress." Even worse are the kids she can't even find. Teachers come to her every week asking where students that they had concerns over are, and no one can find them.

She calls Child Protective services, but states that the CPS staff is so over taxed with called in abuse cases that they will not even look at a keyword case unless it is already on their case list. You can't blame them, they have to triage in some way. Sometimes her and the vice principal drive around last known address just to try and get eyes on the children.

Closing schools has been medically useless for children (at best). Seeing a generation of students caught in the middle of a political issue makes me sick. I have emailed my school board, county commissioners and county health department as these guys are the un-elected bureaucrats setting the case load requirements for schools to open. Nothing more dangerous than an unelected bureaucrat.
Make paddleboarding great again!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 02:23:59 PM »
I feel for your wife SUP Leave, and the stress she's experiencing. But quite honestly (and politics aside) it just boggles my mind how people have children, and then somehow it becomes society's or someone else's fault when they have to take care of them 24/7/365, and can't push them off on the schools to get them out of their hair for however many hours in the day, five or so days a week.

Now yes, my two boys are in their early 30's and late 20's so we never had to experience this year round home schooling thing so maybe I'm talking out my arse. But we also never had sitters or nannies for them at any time in either of their lives. My wife was a full-time ICU/ER nurse and I a firefighter before we decided to have kids, but we both agreed she'd go part time once we had them, and would schedule around my work schedule so that one of us was at home for the boys at all times, and not dependent on anyone else to raise our boys for us.

I'm sure some will bristle at my belief that kids are not a right, and that not everyone should have them just because they can. If a parent or really parents can't commit to raising their kid(s) on their own, well maybe get a dog instead that you can leave at home alone for short timeframes, and leave the kid(s) out of the picture until you can commit to them 100%, and not go out of your mind when you have to spend more time with them than you thought you'd have to when you decided to have them.

Then let's talk about the kid suicide thing...WTF!? This didn't just suddenly start because now all kids have to be home schooled..it started because parents weren't/aren't spending enough time with their pre-teen and teenaged kids to know wtf's going on in their lives. How many parents give their kids computers and cellphones, and are then surprised when these young kids are locked away in their rooms traveling who knows where in cyberspace...many where they should never be at their young ages.

Yep, my boys got to have a computer, but it was in the family room, right behind the living room, and all it took was a turn of my or  my wife's head to see wtf they were doing, where they were visiting, or who they were visiting with online. Neither got a cell phone until they went to HS where they were both involved in sports which varied their after school schedules depending on coaches' whims, and they needed to call one of us to drive over to go pick them up. Sure, they used their phones for more than that, but an unannounced weekly check of the apps they had on their phones made it pretty easy to restrict their "social media" to only being social with their friends at school or who they visited after school when they had the rare time for that because of their sports.

So to finally land this soapbox airplane, I'm troubled at how a pandemic opened our eyes to more than just the medical, financial, and social impact of it, but how apparently parents can't stand being with their kids for extended periods of time - and vice versa - to the point that the kids want to take a permanent solution for a temporary problem. Not blaming right or left, red or blue...but really a bigger statement of the decline of the family unit, and a nation that's going the wrong way when it comes to what's acceptable in terms of really "parenting" vs just having kids cuz it seems like it'd be a cool thing to do.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 09:41:18 AM »
Leave,  She sounds like she is in first trench on the frontline. I admire her empathy for even taking that job.  I don't think there is a good solution. Even before COVID, when 30mil kids qualify for school-provided food, there are clearly massive social cracks in our social fabric.  I cannot imagine the stress of being stuck with a small apartment with kids that 'don't understand' why they also do not have their prior life.

Just imagine ruinning the calculations for the future impact on our so-called lower classes.  This is a good time to be on Medicare, we can relax like Swedes. 

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal