Author Topic: Which type of foil makes tacking easier?  (Read 2440 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Which type of foil makes tacking easier?
« on: October 07, 2020, 08:56:12 AM »
I have less than a handful of successful tacks behind me but was curious whether or not a large, thick lower aspect wing is any better or worse than a thin, high aspect wing.  Just want to better my chances going forward.  I have used both and do not seem to have any greater success with one over the other.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Which type of foil makes tacking easier?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 01:49:36 PM »
How are most of your failed attempts occurring? Any detail you can provide would be helpful. What gear are you on?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 02:03:33 PM »
Good question.. I’m guessing a thin gliding HA foil would work best.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 02:06:19 PM by DavidJohn »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 04:30:19 PM »
Big fat low stall speed wings are easy, because they allow you to be sloppy and clumsy and still stay on foil. You don’t even need to make it any farther around than half way, and the foil will stay airborne, while you fumble with the wing, then finally grab it on the other side, sheet in and complete the rotation without falling.

A faster gliding, farther gliding, foil will be more fun, after you get past the fumble-bumble stage.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 11:51:45 PM »
What Dwight says + some sweep in foil makes the foil roll and yaw less which makes the transition from powered up with both hands on wing to releasing back hand more manageable.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 01:11:17 AM »
Big fat low stall speed wings are easy, because they allow you to be sloppy and clumsy and still stay on foil. You don’t even need to make it any farther around than half way, and the foil will stay airborne, while you fumble with the wing, then finally grab it on the other side, sheet in and complete the rotation without falling.

A faster gliding, farther gliding, foil will be more fun, after you get past the fumble-bumble stage.

What Dwight says + some sweep in foil makes the foil roll and yaw less which makes the transition from powered up with both hands on wing to releasing back hand more manageable.

Interesting. A big ole “thick” (meaning slow)  foil would be the last thing thing in the world I would think of for learning tacks but what do I know. You certainly don’t need an ultra fast, ultra glidey foil to start with (they can be pretty pitch sensitive and not as carvy as you’d like) but some of those original big fat foils (Axis 1020 comes to mind) have such low top end speed and carving ability, I wouldn’t choose them for anything but your first few foil rides. Sort of like the equivalent of a big floaty board that you quickly graduate from.

General All round balanced foils with nice wide gap between (comfortable) top end speed and stall speed was/is key for me,.....along with easy pitch control, and easy to carve. You want to go into the tack with plenty of speed and be able to stay on foil coming out at a much slower speed. You can use the exact same foil to practice with in light winds with a big hand wing and higher winds with a smaller wing. You can (and should) also use the exact same foil for practicing heel to toe-side tacks, 360’s, foot switching, behind-the-backs, and other variations/combinations

You want to be super comfortable on the foil in different conditions.  For me it was the Gong Pro (Carve) XL with the matching stabilizer. Most manufacturers have a foil wing in that category. I rode it for 8 months. No shims, no short or long fuselages, one stabilizer size, mostly one mast size. Never used a  smaller size foil for high winds. I just rigged down the wingding and did everything possible to stick with flat water for learning. Get to know the foil like the back of your hand. This way you concentrate on learning the move without constantly relearning your gear.  It’s a new sport and we all tend to chase gear rather than chase skills :o

My worthless 2C
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 01:31:27 AM by obxDave »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 07:33:37 AM »
I started to really put effort into tacking on my Veloce XL, and it felt like a decent foil to learn on. It's fast but got a reasonably good stall speed so as long as you don't hesitate on make a mistake you'll get through without difficulty (it's the not making a mistake that's the issue!). Tacking the Veloce L needs less input effort but needs more precision and a bit more wind is helpful to power up quickly on exit.

Maybe I'd have been better to just learn on one foil, and although they both are a bit different, I adjust fairly quickly each time I swap. The XL gets a bit bouncy when it's windy and choppy so the L is easier to control.

My tacks (heelside) are still progressing but are starting get some consistency especially on my strong side.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 11:00:44 AM »
The key for me was getting back to power quickly once through eye of the wind (same for 360's). Just focus on that rear handle and sheet in. I also don't expect to get through one without a pump or two. You pump through most everything else, it'll probably be necessary here too.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 08:14:30 PM »
The answer to the question, I think, is the foil you are most comfortable with. I can't speak from experience since i've only made two tacks, one accidental, on more or less on purpose. But i think one big problem for me is that i need to stop screwing around with gear and learn some stuff. Right now the foil that works best for me in the most conditions is the axis 1000. It's not idea, but it works more or less all the time. I'd like it to be the 860, but if the wind is even a little light I struggle to get up on it. I need a 960, but I'll just settle on the 1000.

Richard Feynman famously decided one day that from that day on on his dessert would always be chocolate ice cream. Not because there weren't other desserts he liked better, but because of the amount of time he could save by never having to choose. The 1000 is officially my chocolate ice cream.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 09:59:24 PM »
The answer to the question, I think, is the foil you are most comfortable with.

...the amount of time he could save by never having to choose. The 1000 is officially my chocolate ice cream.

There you have it, get to know your foil so you can keep it moving down to 1 mph 'cuz that might be your speed once you're heading straight into the wind. Other helpful tips: Tack in a lull, a few well placed pumps, tighten that turn as you're heading through the eye and get back to power quickly.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 12:48:37 AM »
My one tacking tip would be not to try and force it. Before learning it, I had in my head that it's a fast and frantic transition, but the harder I tried to chase it the less successful I was - I started having more success after I started getting tired, so was actually being smoother. When you nail one, it's fairly effortless. You have to be committed for sure, and quick, but it's not rushed or panicked if that makes sense.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 05:04:30 AM »
Thanks everyone!  those are all great tips.  Went out yesterday in 30-35 knts  with a 5m wing, wishing I had a 3m wing.  Absolute chaos but ohhh, so much fun. Needless to say I was not going to practice tacks at all.  Just full on survival mode and getting some long foil rides with the wing flagged out.  I will just keep on practicing and some day I may make my  tacks look as smooth as most of you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal