Author Topic: Shape 3D Questions  (Read 4238 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Shape 3D Questions
« on: October 05, 2020, 06:16:01 PM »
It seems like some of the features that used to be available in the free version of Shape3D aren't there now so I just paid for a one year subscription to Shape 3D. Swear to gawd, this is one of the most unintuitive programs I have ever used.

Here are the issues...

1) I started to make a new design and saved it to my Macbook Pro's desktop. When I open Shape3d and click "Open Existing File" I can see the design file I made previously (8' Roku - Original) but I can't find that file on my desktop or anywhere else on my computer. I can open that file in Shape3d but I can't find that file on my computer unless I open Shape3d. So, where is this file located on my computer? A full search of my computer shows all the other Shape3d files on my computer - just not that one. I did a search on my computer for hidden files and can't find it either.
Here is what I see: https://www.evernote.com/l/Ag5DYRX0LsRAdJ7jXPdd-VKqrB3jF6chT9s

2) When I created this new design I clicked the "Create a new document" button and inputted the measurements I took off of a surf sup I have that I want to make a little longer, wider and thicker. I clicked the Guidelines wizard and inputted the rest of the measurements like tail and nose, thickness, etc. The sup I took the measurements from is only 8' but it has a longboard outline with a wide nose and the design Shape3d is showing me has a narrow pointy nose with a tail that doesn't match the measurements I inputted. As far as the outline goes, the only measurements that came out accurately were the 8' length and width of 28 5/16". The rest of the outline is of a radically different looking board. Most of the measurements in the Master Scale aren't what I originally inputted either. What happened? Why doesn't the outline look anything at all like the measurements I inputted and how can I fix that? In other words, if I type in that I want a 21 9/16" wide nose then why does the Design view (and all other views) in the program show that the board has a pointy nose??
https://www.evernote.com/l/Ag4oG-ldLhZKu4UuPcIVt12RYk_HCKt7MxA

Thanks
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Shape 3D Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 06:22:34 PM »
First, I love Skitch. How good I should that app?

As to the Desktop, it appears it’s not using your Mac desktop. I’d open it and try to navigate using the pulldown menu above instead of the “Desktop” button on the sidebar. This was clearly ported and not a Mac native app so it’s likely pointing to some weird place. Note that the dialog box and even the locations look like Windows locations. (With a Linux-looking UI, wth?)

As to your measurements I’m not sure that 15” wide 12” back from the nose will give you a longboard shape. Don’t have a ruler handy but maybe TallDude will pitch in and dig you out of the hole.

I need to suck it up and buy a year and learn this damn app too lol.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 06:37:46 PM »

As to the Desktop, it appears it’s not using your Mac desktop. I’d open it and try to navigate using the pulldown menu above instead of the “Desktop” button on the sidebar. This was clearly ported and not a Mac native app so it’s likely pointing to some weird place. Note that the dialog box and even the locations look like Windows locations. (With a Linux-looking UI, wth?)

As to your measurements I’m not sure that 15” wide 12” back from the nose will give you a longboard shape. Don’t have a ruler handy but maybe TallDude will pitch in and dig you out of the hole.

It was only $36 for a year.

The two files I created aren't visible on my computer and a search can't find them. And yet, the free board files I downloaded from the Shape3D website (as well as all other Shape3D files I have) are clearly visible on my computer and when I open the program.

The tail is supposed to be 19 5/8" at 12" from the tail and the nose is supposed to be 21 9/16" at 12" from the nose, but clearly that isn't what the different Views in the program are showing me here.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 06:39:29 PM by magentawave »

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 08:04:34 PM »
On my Win10 computer, Shape3D files show up as a wave inside a circle icon, regardless of what folder they are in. Regular *.BRD files are attributed to BoardCAD with a different icon.

I did your numbers on a new board 19.625" @ 12" from tail  and 21.5625" @ 12" from nose and got a pointy board too at 6 foot something. I resized it to 8' and 24" wide and still pointy. I grabbed the control point for the nose in plan view and pulled it up and it started to get that longboard look.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 08:08:24 PM by jrandy »
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 09:42:00 PM »

It was only $36 for a year.

The two files I created aren't visible on my computer and a search can't find them. And yet, the free board files I downloaded from the Shape3D website (as well as all other Shape3D files I have) are clearly visible on my computer and when I open the program.

The tail is supposed to be 19 5/8" at 12" from the tail and the nose is supposed to be 21 9/16" at 12" from the nose, but clearly that isn't what the different Views in the program are showing me here.
I'd have to download the same level ($36/year) version to see what's going on. A lot of these subscription based programs operate thru a cloud. The file icon does look a little cloudish:) Meaning your files will show on your file tree but actually be located in the cloud. Thus, you won't find them on your drive. This may just be a path setting within Shape3D set itself under preferences that you can change? 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 11:07:40 PM »
Thanks but if you click on the Guidelines measurements and then enter all of the measurements and the program does NOT show what the outline of the board is supposed to look like then what's the point in entering the measurements to begin with? This makes no sense.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 05:57:47 AM »
Thanks but if you click on the Guidelines measurements and then enter all of the measurements and the program does NOT show what the outline of the board is supposed to look like then what's the point in entering the measurements to begin with? This makes no sense.

It could save you a lot of headache further in development as this inputs the measurements on the origin curves. Once you start enabling secondary curves to fine tune you might encounter glitches and unexpected behavior where curves just get out of sorts for no apparent reason. While the measurement you input are going to be included, the shape will follow the original curves setting of the template, that's why it looks the way it does since the original template is of a shortboard.

As for the file. You might be better off running "Save As" command to save the file somewhere you can access. Shape3D runs on "Wine" environment for mac and to the best of my knowledge
it is self contained within the  Application file so you won't find the root directory (where this file lives) anywhere on your mac since it's indexed on your system so search won't help.

If you find your self designing certain shapes often, you could replace or add a default template file to Shape3D. It lives inside the Application file
Applications\Shape3D X.app\Contents\Resources\Shape3DX\New.s3dx

You could either replace the New.s3dx file with your own template and rename it the same or just create a template folder where you save your template to and click the Browse button when starting a new file.

Shape3D has a lot of good things but on a Mac it's a really poor experience. Now with Apple transitioning to Arm chips it's still unknown if there is a good enough support to run it at all
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 06:23:12 AM by burchas »
in progress...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 07:22:49 AM »
Thx for explaining that save as better. As to the template I usually start from something close to what I want from the Warehouse and edit from there.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 08:52:06 AM »
Thx for explaining that save as better. As to the template I usually start from something close to what I want from the Warehouse and edit from there.

That's a good suggestion. Good place to start learning how to construct by analyzing pre-made shapes.

In general I have my own "blank" file where just basic slices (cross sections) and edit points are included and all curves are set to zero at the point tangent edit and tangent are set to loose to
there's no pre-assumption on how the curve would look like, that's usually what throws-off many of the measurements one would input manually.

I've attached the blank file. if you do open new file in shape3D and browse to this file, shape3D will remember the last place you opened a file from and will default to this file.
I found it a lot easer starting to work from a blank file and add elements as I go.

BTW, I was very generous on the initial size of the blank ;D
in progress...

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 11:36:51 AM »

That's a good suggestion. Good place to start learning how to construct by analyzing pre-made shapes.

In general I have my own "blank" file where just basic slices (cross sections) and edit points are included and all curves are set to zero at the point tangent edit and tangent are set to loose to
there's no pre-assumption on how the curve would look like, that's usually what throws-off many of the measurements one would input manually.

I've attached the blank file. if you do open new file in shape3D and browse to this file, shape3D will remember the last place you opened a file from and will default to this file.
I found it a lot easer starting to work from a blank file and add elements as I go.

BTW, I was very generous on the initial size of the blank ;D

I did do a "Save As" and renamed it and the file is still nowhere to be found on my computer. I emailed the company and the guy basically said to "search your computer" for it. Well, I did that before I ever contacted him.

1) I don't understand at all why when I input all of the measurements into the Guideline wizard that the program doesn't convert those numbers into a nice outline. Unless I'm doing something wrong, that isn't the way the free version used to be and I paid for this one.
UPDATE: I got another reply back from the company and they said I have to buy the Pro version to get the program to show the outline. He also said that even then it won't accurately show the outline the way it's supposed to be. This makes no sense at all! How are you supposed to see what the board will look like before you send it off to be CNC'd??

2) So, if you manually pull the lines out then how do you know when it matches the numbers you inputted? How do you match the outline you manually manipulated with the numbers you entered?

When I first opened the paid program I started with a Blank design and entered my numbers and the outline the program produced was seriously the most retarded looking thing on earth. It looked like something I tried to scrawl with a pencil jammed between my toes.

3) What is the difference between the blank file you provided here and the one I'll get if I click "Blank design" in the program? I opened your blank file in the program and inputted my numbers and in the views it still looks like a big block.

4) If I start with an already completed sup design file (maybe one on my hard drive or downloaded from the Shape3D website) and then change the numbers would that give me the outline I want?

I'm asking these questions because I'm going to HAND SHAPE this board and the only reason I want an accurate representation of what it will look like on the program is so I can determine the volume.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 11:51:13 AM by magentawave »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 12:55:58 PM »
I'm asking these questions because I'm going to HAND SHAPE this board and the only reason I want an accurate representation of what it will look like on the program is so I can determine the volume.
Thanks

If that's your end goal you should really download a file from the warehouse and do some minor tweaking. You'll be close enough to the volume you'll have in 5 minutes.

As for the saving the file. make sure to browse to a location you know and only then save it. saving it in the same place under a different name is not going to make any difference.

Starting from a blank file will not give you the outline you're looking for right from the get go. There are not enough data points on that path. Nor on MY Blank file for that matter.
BTW, entering your measurements in the guideline section will not modify the board at all, only add guideline points so you could design it manually after loading the file.

As for pulling the handles manually, all these handles has numbers attached to it on the side panels so you can eye ball it until it looks right and then just punch-in the number to bring it home completely, this is where you could use those guidelines you carefully added, to guide you visually while you're hand shaping it on the computer ;)

See attached file, it's a 7'x22. change the basic numbers in the property window to match yours and you'll be very close to where you want to be.
in progress...

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 02:15:01 PM »
burchas, I used your file and tweaked it and got the volume I need. It will be 8'-2" x 29 1/2" x 4 1/4" x 117L

Thanks!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 03:01:54 PM »
burchas, I used your file and tweaked it and got the volume I need. It will be 8'-2" x 29 1/2" x 4 1/4" x 117L

Thanks!

Done. Good luck with that shape, hope you'll post a build thread.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal