Author Topic: Epic day  (Read 2592 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Epic day
« on: October 05, 2020, 09:33:56 AM »
October is generally iffy in the Gorge, and when there's wind it's usually east wind, which I'm not a big fan of. Yesterday was west wind, 25-35, and it was fabulous. Blowdrier wind, spicy swells, and not too crowded. Looking ahead at the next few days I realized I should grab all I could get. I might have overdone it a bit. I had a hard time eating dinner--my shoulders ached, and I couldn't read or work on my projects this evening. Every time I sat still I started falling asleep. 6:30 is not bedtime. I managed to stay awake until 8:30 by watching Sherlock Holmes and standing frequently.

I started out on my 4.2 with the 101. Switched to 3.5 after just a few upwind/downwind passes. Then came in and changed the 1010 for the 860.

The 860 is great fun, but in big swells I find it a bit unforgiving--suck a little air and it falls out of the sky. After my fourth full speed faceplant, including one where my board blew over my head and landed in the wing (upside down, thank the gods of wind) I went in and got the 1000 for more civilized recovery.

It was a perfect day for upwind/downwind with enough south in the wind early on to be able to reach the hatchery in one go. Then turn around and ride pumping swells back to the event site. So much fun. I'm not sure how long I was out, but I finished at 2:30, completely toasted. I came in twice, thinking I'd had enough, only to look at the conditions and go right back out. It took me 40 minutes to put all my stuff away, about twice as long as usual. Getting my wetsuit off was horrific, it would have made a good comedy TikTok vid.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Epic day
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 09:46:31 AM »
Sounds fun. Jealous. Winds havent been great for winging here in Rhode Island the past week or so. How do you like the 1010 compared to the 1000? How are the foiling footswitch jibes comin along?

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 12:17:48 PM »
After spending 9 summers working up on Hood, I usually try to make it back there for a few days every summer. Obviously this summer it never happened.  I'm hoping next summer I get to fly around on the river with a few of you.  The conditions you get sound super fun!

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 12:53:48 PM »
October is generally iffy in the Gorge, and when there's wind it's usually east wind, which I'm not a big fan of. Yesterday was west wind, 25-35, and it was fabulous. Blowdrier wind, spicy swells, and not too crowded. Looking ahead at the next few days I realized I should grab all I could get. I might have overdone it a bit. I had a hard time eating dinner--my shoulders ached, and I couldn't read or work on my projects this evening. Every time I sat still I started falling asleep. 6:30 is not bedtime. I managed to stay awake until 8:30 by watching Sherlock Holmes and standing frequently.

I started out on my 4.2 with the 101. Switched to 3.5 after just a few upwind/downwind passes. Then came in and changed the 1010 for the 860.

The 860 is great fun, but in big swells I find it a bit unforgiving--suck a little air and it falls out of the sky. After my fourth full speed faceplant, including one where my board blew over my head and landed in the wing (upside down, thank the gods of wind) I went in and got the 1000 for more civilized recovery.

It was a perfect day for upwind/downwind with enough south in the wind early on to be able to reach the hatchery in one go. Then turn around and ride pumping swells back to the event site. So much fun. I'm not sure how long I was out, but I finished at 2:30, completely toasted. I came in twice, thinking I'd had enough, only to look at the conditions and go right back out. It took me 40 minutes to put all my stuff away, about twice as long as usual. Getting my wetsuit off was horrific, it would have made a good comedy TikTok vid.

What mast were you using in swell yesterday?

We've been having a pretty good early fall here in SF Bay too. I slept 9h last night after a good afternoon wingfoil session with some swell at 3rd Ave (on Axis 1150/500/standard fuse with a Cedrus 65 cm mast) following a morning overhead glassy SUP surfing session.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 01:16:50 PM »
Yup, that was an outstanding Westerly for October :)
Nicely powered on the 3.6 Naish. I launched from Luhr Jensen and did a bunch of upwind to mini downwinders as well, great swell all things considered.

Live2surf, how does the 65cm mast work out for winging? I've kited 3rd Ave before so am somewhat familiar with the conditions. Having used the Axis 19mm / 90cm mast all summer, I'm wondering how the 70cm I just bought might work with these newfangled absurd wingspans. Got it mainly to try some sup foiling but it will probably end up under me for a wing session occasionally too.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 01:29:43 PM »
Super fun 3.5 for sure.  I could have easily been on the 2.8 but we only have one.  It would be nice if F-One would make a smaller size. Women and kids need at least one smaller size. 

It has been a pretty good Late Sept / Early October if you are open to Easterlies.  Easterlies can be great.  Strong, steady wind a lot of the time.  There were 4 great Viento days last week. 

A little surprise Westerly today as well.  Just hit double digits at Swell.  Gradient looks good for an afternoon session. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 01:37:34 PM by Admin »

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 01:44:33 PM »

Live2surf, how does the 65cm mast work out for winging? I've kited 3rd Ave before so am somewhat familiar with the conditions. Having used the Axis 19mm / 90cm mast all summer, I'm wondering how the 70cm I just bought might work with these newfangled absurd wingspans. Got it mainly to try some sup foiling but it will probably end up under me for a wing session occasionally too.

It works well (but it is all I have used with the wing. Have never used my 90 cm Cedrus mast with wing).... but when riding swell I usually faceplant hard 2-3 times per session due to wings coming out of water. I would like to go longer mast.

I am pleasantly amazed that flat connection of Cedrus mast (with adapter) to Axis fuse with 2 through bolts seems to be holding up fine with big front wings: Axis 1150 wing (115 cm wingspan) and 1020 (2050 cm^2).
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »

What mast were you using in swell yesterday?

We've been having a pretty good early fall here in SF Bay too. I slept 9h last night after a good afternoon wingfoil session with some swell at 3rd Ave (on Axis 1150/500/standard fuse with a Cedrus 65 cm mast) following a morning overhead glassy SUP surfing session.

96cm Carbon. I'm not a fan of the carbon baseplate, the aluminum mast baseplate is much more convenient. I've been riding the 96 with the ultrashort fuselage since it's the only one I have that fits it, and I don't like that at all. I'll probably switch back to aluminum until I get some more fuselages.

Cnski--the 1010 is a completely different animal from the 1000. The 1010 is flat so it turns oddly, the 1000 has anhedral at the tips and deep scallops on the trailing edge, so it carves nicely. My switchfoot jibes still suck toads. I need to get the heel/toe thing going and then get back to switchfoot. It's particularly hard for me to make myself do this since I managed to teach myself to foil just as well goofy as regular. In fact for turning downwind and staying in bumps my goofy foot stance works better. Go figure.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 02:41:14 PM »
Sheesh, the damned wind is blowing again. Not crazy like yesterday, but it looks good from here. I've got to get it while it's here. Winter is coming.

I'm headed to Palm Desert for November so Diane can play golf and I can drive two hours to get to the beach. Then December in Cardiff/Encinitas. I'm bringing my el Cheapo eFatbike so I can jump the line at SanO. I assume that still works.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 04:40:49 PM »
I'm bringing my el Cheapo eFatbike so I can jump the line at SanO. I assume that still works.
Yep, still good. But seems to be slowing down a bit, with more and more going back to work...or at least the kids having to be at home in front of a computer for "school"...so weekday lines are getting shorter and shorter. Hopefully by Dec we'll be driving right in any time during the week, but I'm sure the weekends will still be a crapshoot.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 07:14:53 PM »
Where do you park if you're biking in to SanO

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 05:16:46 AM »
A little surprise Westerly today as well.  Just hit double digits at Swell.  Gradient looks good for an afternoon session.

The Gorge!  No forecast at all (calling light and variable) but the Portland/Dalles gradient was not notified of what it was supposed to do and it it decided to rise anyway. 

Bill and I jumped in at Swell after 2:00.  14 MPH with a 5 MPH range.  That's perfect 4.2 for me (Axis 860/390 o the 960 mast) and Bill went 5.0.  Just us and a couple of windfoiler amigos on 5.8 and 6.2.  We had it to ourselves for and hour and then a few more wingers joined in.  It slowly increased to 16/17 mph but stayed super steady with only a 5mph gap.  Fun thigh high swell to follow (Swell City always kicks up something).  Probably a dozen wings out by the time Bill and I got (crawled) off the water. 

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 06:11:08 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 11:29:29 PM »
Pono, I hear Trail 1 is the parking.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal