Author Topic: Wind Speed for Kneeling Stage  (Read 6138 times)

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Wind Speed for Kneeling Stage
« on: October 04, 2020, 01:53:49 PM »
Working on the kneeling stage. Wind 10-12, did not cut it. It seems you need to have enough wind to fill the wing to go upwind. So will 15-17 work? Thinking it should be 7.0 windsurf sail wind.
Grabbing the wing where DW showed me when there is wind pushes the board upwind. Just need wind.
Grabbed some knee pads and my knees are loving it!
Low tide this time so less workable area to use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wind Speed for Kneeling Stage
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 07:08:31 PM »
I might not sure but I’ll bet you are dang close to no longer needing to kneel.

How’s it going? There’s wind in the forecast for the weekend. I’m determined to stay upwind on foil. Here’s to the determined beginners.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 02:26:12 AM »
Hi Keys,

It is really hard to do anything when the wind is too light.  If the wing won't hold itself up (when you need to push up on it to keep it in place) you are going to struggle.  10-12 is definitely possible.  How heavy are you?  What wing size and board are you using?  Foil underneath?

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 05:26:19 AM »
Admin, 210#, Blue Planet Easy Foiler 7'6" 144lt with your old Axis 1020 and Naish S25 6.0. Noticed in windsurfing at this weight have to use bigger sails then before.
Tuesday wind is predicted to be 21mph and Wednesday 20-24. Tuesday looks like the day to go upwind and stand up too!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 05:29:39 AM by Keys Sup »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 05:50:09 AM »
Nice.  Really light wings are a lot more manageable when the wind is vey light.  They float themselves more easily and can provide a little drive.  You will be fine in 12-15.  Have fun on those windier days coming up!

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 07:10:22 AM »
Thanks Admin. Had one day 13-17 and it was great except had wrong hand position.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 07:26:14 AM »
10-12 is fine if you're standing and your wing is very light, but it has to be a very steady wind (meaning no lulls, though gusts are good) to do much with it, and I need a strong gust if I'm going to get up on the foil. When you're on your knees the wing is necessarily luffed, and you need a substantial amount of wind to keep it flying.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 09:30:17 AM »
Beginners need WIND in Florida. There is no Gorge current adding power to your wing. Our current takes power away.

Just stick to windy days and save yourself the headache until you’re very good.

I have a 210# buddy who needed 20 and a 6m to get on foil and he was an very good kite foiler. He just couldn’t figure out the skills of pumping a foil and wing for a very long time. Today he rides in 12. Kiters are spoiled by the power of sine flying a kite. No skill needed, just dive the kite.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 09:38:58 AM by Dwight (DW) »

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 10:10:13 AM »
Getting the right wind speed is my biggest frustration. Only been able to try twice in the 10-20 range; once standing on sup and then once on knees on foil board. I am hesitant (afraid) to try when it's really blowing (20+). As a beginner seams foolish to go out in really challenging and possibly dangerous conditions. But then trying to ease into it in lighter wind was really hard. The more the wind came up, definitely easier it was. It's hard to think of really strong wind being ok beginner conditions. Makes learning very frustrating.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 10:16:31 AM by WHS »

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »
DW has a point with the wind. I think I'll save the frustration till I learn and use higher wind.
WHS luckily the wind will blow me into the shoreline. Have to watch the tides too.
Tuesday and Wednesday is looking good for Key Largo. could probably go windsurfing but want to learn to ride the foil board with wing.
Looking forward to after learning and being able to use my 7.2 on lighter days.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 01:49:22 PM »
Been a while since posting here.  Windsurfed '84-2000 ( three years of that in Maui )
Began kiting in 2000 ( quickly sold all windsurf gear )
Kite foiling last 6 years pretty much exclusively unless it's well above 20 , then sometimes strapped surfboard for wave riding and boosting.
Three years now using a SUP foil board to ride surf ( no Kite )
This  August I Got a 6m F One Swing ( and quickly ordered a 5m & 4.2m ) and started the learning process.
I live near Santa Barbara/ Ventura. In the past two months I've used each of the wings multiple times.
All skills from aforementioned activities have a component to winging.
The biggest thing I've learned so far is that you have to have enough wind for your weight and gear used.
I weigh 155 , use a 95L 5'8'' board with a Lift 200 Surf Foil ( same as I ride on waves with no wind )
In my opinion it's always better to err on being overpowered when choosing what wing to ride.
With regard to wind on the wing, It is far better to Spill it than Fill it.
If the wind gets lighter after going out, be patient and wait for a gust before trying to pump up on foil.
I wore myself out completely a few times before figuring ( and being told ) this out.
Most importantly,  keep at it and make sure your gear suits your weight.  Proficiency will come with time on the water.
For the record,  I'm completely stoked on winging as are many of my friends in my area.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 05:14:13 PM »
Tony, hope to see you out and about in the Ventura area. Blue board, orange wing, black impact west, long beard, permanent smile when on the water.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 06:15:39 AM »
As a kiter, I would sit out 'shiny water' waiting for it to get 'gray with some lines' and could ghost along, actively flying the kite.  It took small whitecaps before I could relax and cruise.  (I often changed the size ratio differential of kite and board.)

C'hit!   I've been spending waaaay too much time on my knees - or standing in the shallows.  G-D, these wings are a lot harder to milk 'something' out of versus a kite.  In the last month the only time it blew enough would have had me in open fetch with zero easy walkouts. 

The box should read: 'Patience Required' ...or, 'Quit whining and relocate.'

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 10:25:17 AM »
Tony, hope to see you out and about in the Ventura area. Blue board, orange wing, black impact west, long beard, permanent smile when on the water.

Must be my lost twin....

I ride blue board , all my wings are orange , long white beard........

I'm at  Emma a lot or ,   C St. if there's  not many surfers to threaten....

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 04:47:01 PM »
Pono took your advice and started standing up. Way more upwind capibility. Did not make every stand up attempt.LOL. Should have practiced getting up on my bad side at the cable park but it was easier then I thought.
Probably 15-17 with unsteady wind ( Florida Keys usual winds ).
Unfortunately by the time I stand up I'm almost out of runway. High tide helped making the runway bigger. Definately need wing to be powered to make any of this happen just like DW mentioned.
When the wing tip dives towards the water I read a post that mentioned push, pull up or down in or out with rear hand, maybe front hand? What is the action to keep the tip out of the water? Or is it more wind with no lulls?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 04:49:18 PM by Keys Sup »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal