Author Topic: Wind Speed for Kneeling Stage  (Read 6139 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wind Speed for Kneeling Stage
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 06:39:37 PM »
Tony we have to have a deal. Neither of us can be jerks in the water or else the other guy might get punched in the parking lot for something the other did. If it happens to you I owe you lunch lol. “That damn guy with the beard and the orange wing...”

Keys, glad you are standing. And yes, running out of room is why you learn to get up fast lol. It’s the reward. I figured that out quick. Same for getting on foil. You are close now. If you’re standing, all you need is wind.

As to keeping the tip up, you will learn to instinctively push your front arm up and out. Yes, wind in the wing helps. It gets heavy. And yes, being on foil helps. This sport actually gets easier and less strenuous once you learn to do it, unlike a lot of other sports.

And yes to what was said, you need wind and if you’re not in a windy place, you need patience. I’m going to get 2 days a month if I’m lucky where I am now and with my work schedule. But those days are fun for sure. Trips to FL, TX, and HI will be on my list now more than ever.

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 07:39:49 PM »
Thanks Surfcowboy. Going to one day off a week so I feel your pain. The wind doesn't like to cooperate on the one day.

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 11:18:23 AM »
15-17.Started out good standing up and got 2 lifts but was so stunned didn't push my front foot down. From there it was all down hill. Wait for a gust stand up and wing tip catches the water over and over. I think the wind was dropping after I started. Progression!!!
 The wind takes me to the rocks so I run out of room.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 11:20:48 AM by Keys Sup »

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 11:20:04 AM »
This is the guard rail and rocks I climb over to get to the water. Also added more scratches to 1020 sliding over a coral rock.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 11:21:45 AM by Keys Sup »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 08:52:15 PM »
The nice thing about scratches is that they hide other scratches. I tried to explain this to Admin and Chan after one of them, I'm not saying who but her name begins with "C", came in a little hot yesterday and got a little scratch on an otherwise flawless wing. I could see that none of my demonstration of the camouflage benefits of having foil wings that look like chew toys for a pit bull was actually having the desired effect. They will have a new wing on the way shortly. Stand by, you'll be able to buy a nearly new Axis 760 for half price in about a week.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2020, 05:31:04 AM »
Plus the scratches help keep the water from sticking to the foil making you faster.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2020, 07:51:18 AM »
Nice to hear you got up man!! It’ll come fast now. I did the same thing, 2 short hops where I breached and then the next session it clicked.

And yeah, scratches just show you’re trying. ;)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 07:51:20 PM »
Tony we have to have a deal. Neither of us can be jerks in the water or else the other guy might get punched in the parking lot for something the other did. If it happens to you I owe you lunch lol. “That damn guy with the beard and the orange wing...”

Keys, glad you are standing. And yes, running out of room is why you learn to get up fast lol. It’s the reward. I figured that out quick. Same for getting on foil. You are close now. If you’re standing, all you need is wind.

As to keeping the tip up, you will learn to instinctively push your front arm up and out. Yes, wind in the wing helps. It gets heavy. And yes, being on foil helps. This sport actually gets easier and less strenuous once you learn to do it, unlike a lot of other sports.

And yes to what was said, you need wind and if you’re not in a windy place, you need patience. I’m going to get 2 days a month if I’m lucky where I am now and with my work schedule. But those days are fun for sure. Trips to FL, TX, and HI will be on my list now more than ever.

Cowboy, aren't you in southern California?

My learning curve has been a slow-go also. So far this year the lake here in Atlanta has wind about 2 times a month. The hardest thing for me with zero wind sport experience, was tackling the going upwind thing. Oh my goodness that was a big hurdle which took me all year to finally get right (especially not on foil).

Typically the wind here is like 9MPH average with 25mph gusts. So i go out with a 7m and wait on your knees for enough wind to get going,  then at some point you wish you had a smaller wing, then a little while longer I can find myself wondering if i'll have enough wind or have to paddle just to get back in, LOL. Never the less the journey is fun and interesting. I'm looking forward to some short Florida trips just to find out how steady type wind works out.

Ps. The knee pad suggestion made by FLkiter was gold for me. Thanks for that FLkiter

SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2020, 04:49:02 AM »
Fishman, yeah, I was talking to TonyG who is up where I go for wind (Ventura, SoCal. Not to be confused with Ventana MX)

I got sucked into taking the wing out where I was today in maybe 10mph instead of driving north to where there was wind. Damn it! Foiled again lol. At least I had a buddy with an efoil who graciously towed me back upwind and saved me a few hundred yards of walking.

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2020, 08:18:48 AM »
Fishman, Stay away from the Florida Keys if yopu are looking for steady wind!

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2020, 11:17:54 AM »
Is that just the fall you’re referring too?  I always felt the winter months gave pretty steady pre and post frontal winds, at least compared to the OBX. The launches were always pretty sketchy but I discovered Cocoa Plum beach in Marathon this last trip. Have you tried it? Pretty decent side-on E-SE wind for mid March. I kite foiled and wing foiled there and it was great. Easy beach and a bit more room to work with before having to turn. They had just closed the beach while we were there and I had to launch from the boat towards the end

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 11:23:40 AM by obxDave »

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2020, 02:32:32 PM »
Have not been to the OBX. Maybe some North Easters are close to steady but for me it is mostly gusting with holes when I am windsurfing.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2020, 04:24:32 PM »
Have not been to the OBX. Maybe some North Easters are close to steady but for me it is mostly gusting with holes when I am windsurfing.
My feeble advice is that it’s totally worth it to travel to an easy launch with a long fetch for the most steady unobstructed wind. That location in your picture looks way tougher to me. But hats off for trying to make it work ;)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2020, 05:20:53 PM »

Maybe not steady if you're on one of the islands but in the back country where we go by boat it's some of the cleanest wind you'll ever ride. Keys is best with North winds but most beaches that becomes off shore in the keys.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2020, 05:52:44 PM »
I feel for you folks, that's some pretty wimpy wind. There's nothing quite like the Gorge--Mother nature's wind machine. Dead flat and rain today, but tomorrow is 17 to 35 at 9:00 AM which means 25 to 45. Hang on to your fucking cojones. Straight west too. It's going to be one of those days. At least I got a day of rest. iWindsurf says early, early in the morning, like 1:00 AM it's going to be 16 to 50. Imagine being out in that. iWindsurf averages, so if they say 50 the peak gusts will be at 60+.

That also means tomorrow will probably be mega-swells. When it's nutty like that in the early morning the whole corridor rings like a bell, and the wind has something to push against all day long. I remember a day a few years ago when it was 30 to 50 at Swell City after a long night blowing triple-nail shingles off roofs. I went for a downwinder on my bullet 17 and had it get blown over my head on faceplants and hit the end of the leash while the board was still in the air--three times.

Even guys with a shitty memory like mine remember those days. Having your ass pucker so hard your farts are dog whistles tends to focus one's attention.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 06:02:26 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal