Author Topic: Surfer Magazine furloughs its entire staff  (Read 3512 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfer Magazine furloughs its entire staff
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 07:01:52 PM »
I suspect the Instagram post was a big "fuck you" to David Pecker, an aptly named dickhead, because they knew what was coming. And it probably prompted pulling the plug immediately.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 07:05:41 PM »
Nobody reads magazines anymore. They look at their phones or their computers. I do get free subscriptions to a few trade related e-mags. I'll flip through them on my computer. Not a single magazine in my office either. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 03:29:16 AM »
Waiting a month to get new info on a subject?  It seems impossible that we ever did that.  Our immediate access to info now is astounding.  I am not sure which is more interesting, the availability itself or how little the majority does with it. 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 03:48:01 AM »
Good for them to use their fading voice for a positive goal. Hopefully David Pecker will follow Trump's advice on how to treat covid19.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 10:43:24 AM »
I suspect the Instagram post was a big "fuck you" to David Pecker, an aptly named dickhead, because they knew what was coming. And it probably prompted pulling the plug immediately.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. The writing was on the wall so they figured they might as well go out with a bank. Good on them.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 10:46:27 AM »
Nobody reads magazines anymore. They look at their phones or their computers. I do get free subscriptions to a few trade related e-mags. I'll flip through them on my computer. Not a single magazine in my office either.
I know quite a few people at least a couple decades younger than me who are actually tired of looking at their screens all the time. I don't know what their take on print magazines are but they do prefer actual printed paperback books over phones and tablets. I don't think their way of thinking is as uncommon as a lot of people assume.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 10:48:38 AM by surf4food »

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 12:48:30 PM »
To me the issue is often content. A littlebit like other topics than sports. I could see myself getting a magazine for in depth review of equipment. In depth technique. And interesting perspective on spots and industry. Things that are not really that time sensitive. The time i  received a sup magazine, neither were presents....dpevially review soundedmore like an infomercials for the brand.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Kevin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 05:25:37 PM »
I made the cover on the final issue!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 06:58:31 AM »
I felt immediate pity (but did not subscribe - 'not that much pity) for the lady who bought the SUP magazine maybe two years ago.  I still have lots of copies of Kite-Boarding.de, Kiteboard and Kiteworld from the early 2000s. Not only were they quite well done, but print was the only source outside of Toby's Kiteforum for new information if you didn't live in Hatteras or other prime areas.

I view print as an absolute necessity. I am surprised our satellite provider doesn't consider sound an upgrade .."Would you like Single Channel or Stereo?"  At a minimum I need Bloomberg and The Economist to have a clue as to what goes on outside the country of Maralago. 

In a country with 800 military bases in 70 countries ...'you'd think' - there would be ...a better connection to the internet than what you would get in the jungles of Guatamala ...100mi (as the crow flys) from the White House.  Oh ya, my wife drives about a 1/3mi out to a clearing to get two bars.  F'ing-A!

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 08:02:41 AM »
I stopped subscribing to Surfer mag years ago Surfing mag years before that.  I do still subscribe to The Surfer’s Journal (I have every issue from the beginning) I like the articles and minimal ads.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 08:41:55 AM »
I still read and buy a number of magazines. My favourite magazine publication is free, released bi-annually and is called Kootenay Mountain Culture. The coastal publication is called Coast Mountain Culture and I get my hands on this one whenever I can as well. Well written articles on a wide array of topics and excellent photography capturing a number of outdoor pursuits in BC. When the release date arrives, locals here pursue the Kootenay Mountain Culture truck in Nelson, trying to get a copy before they are all gone.

I got a subscription to Standup Journal for my birthday. Not much to the mag but I still enjoy reading the articles and checking out the pics.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal