Author Topic: Wavestorm foil-foamie  (Read 2966 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Wavestorm foil-foamie
« on: October 01, 2020, 06:46:11 AM »
You'd think someone who cannot foil yet would/should not get distracted by exterania...  But as a kid who came home from the public dump to build bikes and scooters, I am unable to overlook what 'seems obvious'.  My idea was to build a simple foil adapter that would contain the important bits to 'foily' an assortment of flotation platforms.

Given the distain for the Wavestorm in the lineup, it simply seemed even more appropriate. Plus, it was ~$175. with free delivery from Amazon. My first try at this was with a series of bands to tension the the top/bottom plates on a 5-5 foamie, but it did not apply good tension without destroying the rails. I considered making a sleeve for an inflatable where the inflatable became a bladder like in a kite but have not found a decent candidate.

In the water, I found this unstable, and unfortunately we have not had reliable wind for weeks in the area I kited for years so I was not getting any assistance from the wing.  I could surfboard-climb up the back easily enough and straddle the board, but without assistance from the wing it was too unstable for me to stand.

One good discovery, I hear you complain about chewed up knees - but I got 5mm EVA off eBay that works perfecly.  I feel like a fricking altarboy given the time I have spent on my knees ..' no issues.  (I do have a few bits of EVA from from a couple of major board builders; they seem to prefer a more dense 3mm.)

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wavestorm foil-foamie
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 07:33:28 AM »
My buddy put a stick on track on a 40 liter foam surf board and now it's all he uses.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 07:03:35 AM »
Thanks for that, FLK...  I was afraid a foamie would buckle just forward of the mount.  I'll be back with my idea of his idea. 

Jim

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 10:02:28 AM »
I don't think he pumps a lot. I'm sure if you're aggressive, you'll snap it easily. Something small to get up on and take some waves or practice in flat water, it should do the trick.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 01:35:40 PM »
This was the 'mule', a throw-away; the Wavestorm was to have been the racehorse. But seeing FLK's friend using a small one successfully, this is now the target board. The Wavestorm will become a gift to a kid who looks like he could use one.

This is a 5-5 from Kona Surf in New Jersey.  ' Nicely done, stiff foam including stringers and still cheap at $200.  The EVA sits atop an Alu/PVC/Alu laminate routed out of a 4x8 sheet. I have one of the stick-on mounts which would save weight but I think I would make a picture-frame clamp for it rather than use their adhesive - if this works for me.  The way things look here it will be booties and gloves before I see decent wind out of a safe quadrant.

Jim

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 06:27:22 PM »
I made this one a couple years ago with aluminum plates on top and bottom. I rode it but felt too flexy for me. I suppose I could revisit it and use either longer aluminum plates or make out of carbon. I can get the aluminum free but the carbon will co$t money and defeat the purpose of making a foil board on a budget.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 08:51:27 PM »
I love it. I was that junkyard kid too man.

My version is rough cut out of 3mm ply and waiting on glass. (Distracted)

It’s based on the Gong HIPE but I haven’t settled on the mount to the board. I’m starting with duct tape because... come on!

If it work I think I might use 3m marine adhesive and 6 foamie fin screw/bolts though as I say that some bolts with 1.5” washers and EVA over the top would be better.

You’re inspiring me man. Gotta get home and dig in.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal