Author Topic: So where are you going with this winging thing?  (Read 4269 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: So where are you going with this winging thing?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2020, 02:14:04 AM »
I found one more issue with the Skydio yesterday.  We had pretty strong wind (25 gusting to 35) which turned out to be really good, maxed out 3.5 for me.  Launched the drone, selected myself as the subject and started to walk to the water.  As soon as I started to move the drone  accelerated to super speed and flew right through a tree's canopy, sending leaves flying everywhere.  It parked itself 30 feet on the far side of the tree, still flying and sat there.  I don't think it hit any branches but it sure did make some great leaf confetti.  It did lose me as a subject though.  Not knowing what had occurred, I landed it and put it away. 

I think I know what happened.  In Motion Track mode (there are a lot of follow me modes) the drone positions itself relative to your body (you can select where - for instance back, right).  It doesn't take that position until you begin to move because it needs to know your direction to position itself.  All that would have been fine but there was a tree between me and the position it was set for.  The drone has previously been perfect at sensing all obstacles such as trees etc. and avoiding them so I wasn't worried about that.  But in yesterday's wind the tree was going nuts.  I don't think the drone was able to "see" the tree or judge its behavior with that kind of motion. 

I can work around this by choosing another mode or start position or maybe sticking to more mellow days until I understand it better.

The day itself turned out to be pretty epic.  My 3.5 was making ungodly sounds. Pretty sure it was swearing at me.  Long, smooth swell to follow and play on.  Man, am I in love with this sport!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 03:03:12 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal