Author Topic: 75 lt board vs 40 lt board feeling  (Read 6683 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: 75 lt board vs 40 lt board feeling
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 12:46:16 PM »
Here is a perfect example of why you need volume. Typical east coast northeaster with current so strong it rips your legs out from under you. You literally cannot walk in it.

https://youtu.be/hxzzppBhcNM
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:48:17 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 02:47:40 AM »
We have been getting amazing easterly days here at locations where weeds build up over the warm months and are a problem by fall.  They are super dense and cover the surface near shore.  It is really nice to be able to flip your board over and paddle out on the base, above that grabby, tangled mess.  There are a lot of weird little situations where having a full floater is nice.  I see a sinker as an amazing possibility for sweet conditions but keeping a floater in the car just in case.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 04:07:58 AM »
It's something I've pondered for a while. Everyone seems to be obsessing about/aiming for smaller boards, but there's comparatively little chat about getting onto smaller foils, which would give equally impressive increases in performance.

Assuming we're all on a journey to 'competence' where small foil and board as possible is the destination, is it a better progression to have a smaller foil on a bigger board or smaller board on a bigger foil?

FWIW I'm working on using smaller foils before smaller boards...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 04:33:00 AM »
That is great point.  When it is light I can use a smaller foil and small wing on my 95 liter board when it is a struggle on a smaller board or when a bigger wing or foil would be needed on a smaller board.  Once you are up on a small foil and wing it is so low drag that you can stay moving through surprising lulls.  It is really nice to lose all of that extra bulk.  When the wind is stronger and reasonably steady, that is when I see the extra benefit of a tiny board.

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 04:47:42 AM »
Good point on foil size.  I ride a Moses 790 1550cm2 and just got a 720 only 780cm2, I’ve ridden it once and got up easily enough on my 6’ 115L board with a couple of extra pumps, it then felt I was on an electrified race horse. So plenty of performance to get to grips with before a sinker. Mike

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 08:21:46 AM »
i feel like going shorter with my board and going smaller with my front wing.
comparing to last year that i was using the 2100cm now my smaller front wing is 1550cm and i have the same low end.
Last weeks i tried the 800cm and i loved the speed and i could use +1 size wing foil, but of course it can't be the only front wing.
i'm interested in the New 1250hs from Armstrong and the new Takuma Kujira, especially this one they say it has the lift of a 1600cm.. we'll see...

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
I just put an order in for a 4'10 70L board from Dwight. My current board is a 7'0 that had the tail chopped off, so now it's a 5'9. Its been the perfect board for learning, but when I try to ride waves it's way too big. Just too wide and too much nose. It catches too much wind coming up the face, and the rails catch the water too often. Multiple people have told me it's time to go smaller, haha. I've got a 4'8 39L prone I've been wanting to try, but we just don't get enough good wind for it. I could see me using it on those good days where everything comes together, but those are rare.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2020, 05:02:05 PM »
I think going smaller with the foil is very different from going to a smaller board.  Once on foil, the smaller board really has no disadvantages and some very clear advantages.  Downsizing the foil (like any changes to the foil) has to lead to performance trade-offs.  Even when very windy, I prefer a larger foil that doesn't outrun the waves.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 11:01:13 AM »
I think going smaller with the foil is very different from going to a smaller board.  Once on foil, the smaller board really has no disadvantages and some very clear advantages.  Downsizing the foil (like any changes to the foil) has to lead to performance trade-offs.  Even when very windy, I prefer a larger foil that doesn't outrun the waves.
I agree that a board as small as the conditions and your skills permit has only advantages, but what about going sideways when you are faster than the waves?

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2020, 12:59:12 AM »
I agree that a board as small as the conditions and your skills permit has only advantages, but what about going sideways when you are faster than the waves?

Works great when the waves have a decent face that holds up but that is not always the case.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal