Author Topic: 75 lt board vs 40 lt board feeling  (Read 6684 times)

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
75 lt board vs 40 lt board feeling
« on: September 28, 2020, 01:26:09 PM »
As I progress I jumped from the 106 lt Sky sup board (6”3’) to the 75 lt Sky wing board (5”0’) It’s such a better feeling to go shorter, lighter and smaller, I improved my riding skill a lot.
I’m wondering if going smaller with a 40 lt board using a sinker one will also upgrade my riding.
Guys more skilled then me that already did that choice can answer me.
I just know it will be almost impossible to go with really light Wind, but except that, will it worth to go smaller?
Thanks!

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 75 lt board vs 40 lt board feeling
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 02:32:42 PM »
Thanks for posting that. I also own the sky SUP as well as a Jimmy Lewis Flying V and wondering about moving down to a wing specific board
Good to hear that your riding improved after downsizing.  No way i can go to 40 liters but 80-90 for sure
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 03:27:51 PM »
There is no doubt that a 40L board will feel and work better than a 75 L board once on foil for the experienced foiler.  It is unclear whether one's overall riding experience will be better due to the challenges of starting a sinker board.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 05:27:57 PM »
From the perspective of riding the foil, the jump from 75L to 40L will be similar to the jump from 110L-75L (assuming all are made in similar weight construction).  In other words massive.    The reduced swing weight makes a really big difference and is immediately noticeable when riding and especially pumping.  Can't speak to the difference in getting out of the water and getting going

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 09:07:14 PM »
From the perspective of riding the foil, the jump from 75L to 40L will be similar to the jump from 110L-75L (assuming all are made in similar weight construction).  In other words massive.    The reduced swing weight makes a really big difference and is immediately noticeable when riding and especially pumping.  Can't speak to the difference in getting out of the water and getting going

I'm expect that as impressive are the on foil benefits of going from 75L to 40L, will also be the getting out of the water and getting going disadvantages of going from 75L to 40L. I believe low volume improves performance. I am motivated to get to 95L or 85L from 130L.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 10:13:14 PM »

I expect that as impressive are the on-foil benefits of going from 75L to 40L, will also be the 'getting out of the water and getting going' disadvantages of going from 75L to 40L. I am motivated to get to 95L or 85L (not even 75L) from 130L, so take what I say here with a major grain of salt. 
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 05:55:51 AM »
I like my 90 liter for winging more than my 44 liter due to the extra liters helps with the drive of the foil as I pump. Less force needed I feel since the extra liters add swing weight. also if I'm in rougher sea's then it's way easier and quicker to get up on the 90 liter. If I'm going for jumps then 44 liter for sure. Low end is a little better on the 90 liter but 10 mph and I can easily get going on the 44 liter. So my take away is it you want to jump, work on the smaller board water start but if you're just surfing waves then you're not missing out on anything by going 50 liters or less.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 11:15:09 PM »
I like my 90 liter for winging more than my 44 liter due to the extra liters helps with the drive of the foil as I pump. Less force needed I feel since the extra liters add swing weight. also if I'm in rougher sea's then it's way easier and quicker to get up on the 90 liter. If I'm going for jumps then 44 liter for sure. Low end is a little better on the 90 liter but 10 mph and I can easily get going on the 44 liter. So my take away is it you want to jump, work on the smaller board water start but if you're just surfing waves then you're not missing out on anything by going 50 liters or less.

Nick, have you tried Dwight’s 71 or 65 liter boards? Any desire to downsize to either of those boards from your 90?  You and I have the same 90 right now.  At 167# (butt nickked) I have no desire to down size to a sinker. But I am wondering if another 20 liters will still provide the best of both worlds....(?), or wether there just isn’t enough difference from the 90 to make it worth giving up another 20-25 liters.  Might just have to head down to Cocoa Beach to take a test drive ::)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 02:29:40 AM »
I've used Dwight's 105,90,65 and I think 100 in the past. If I was in an area with calmer waters then the 65 would be great but I like going into victory at sea conditions so the extra stability is really appreciated to get going faster in on shore winds and big shore breaks. I've found in the same size board with change of liters, very little change to pump efficiency and swing weight effect. Plus if the winds drop, I can still get in standing on the 90 liter in off shore winds. Florida winds are so up and down and it sucks swimming in on a prone from a few 100 yards off shore. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 03:45:19 AM »
I swear my ability it knee start in near no wind, has never stopped improving. Like learning to water start a windsurfer, it continues to get easier over the first full year of learning the trick.

Getting home standing, not paddling prone, remains my standard for board size.

That number is weight +5 liters for me. If you never screw around in 10 mph wind, I’d ride weight +0, but would never go negative unless I was age 30 again.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 04:48:13 AM »
Hey winged, did you mention your weight?  Unless you are very lightweight you are going to miss days on a 40 liter board.  I admire and envy the riders on sinkers but I can't imagine using one as an only board. 

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 05:02:25 AM »
Thanks everybody for sharing their experiences and opinions.
I’m 58 kg.
I will have the chance to try a 40 lt board in the next weeks and I will let you know.
But I think I will have to find a balance between low volume but not sinker since I don’t want 2 boards and I don’t want to be unsafe if the wind drops with a total sinker.
I think with the right technique my board will be around my weight in liters as Dwight suggested.
I’m so curious to try now the 4’8 Sky Wing 55lt and see if there is a noticeable difference to my 5’0 Sky wing 75lt.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 05:23:52 AM »
Chan uses the Sky Wing 4'8 every day at 115 lbs (52 liters).  You will be able to make it work but once you get negative to weight things get harder while on your knees in rough water.  I am 81 kg and the 75 Sky wing was doable in smooth water but was a PITA in churning swell (Chan preferred the 55 so we sold it).  The 95 is very manageable for me.  I have spent a good amount of time now on other boards at 80 and 85 as well.  Those have been manageable as well but I haven't found one yet that matched the Sky 95 overall (both had way too much rocker). 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:35:53 AM by Admin »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 09:49:44 AM »
I've used Dwight's 105,90,65 and I think 100 in the past. If I was in an area with calmer waters then the 65 would be great but I like going into victory at sea conditions so the extra stability is really appreciated to get going faster in on shore winds and big shore breaks. I've found in the same size board with change of liters, very little change to pump efficiency and swing weight effect. Plus if the winds drop, I can still get in standing on the 90 liter in off shore winds. Florida winds are so up and down and it sucks swimming in on a prone from a few 100 yards off shore.
Ok, cool.  I’m starting to think I’ll just stick with the 90. I’m not always out in crazy conditions, but I’ll ride pretty aggressively so lot’s falling and restarts. Plenty of times when the wind drops out and I’m limping home. If I got a 71 L, I wouldn’t give up the 90 and that seems kinda silly.

volcano dweller

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 10:07:57 AM »
All, just want to say "thanks" for the advice on this string..more food for thought. I have Dwight's 82L board and weigh 81kg, so close to neutrally buoyant. I live on Oahu and have been thinking of going down to one of Dwight's 65L or 70L boards, but the trade-off seems questionable. Like FLKiter, I like going out in victory at sea conditions with a smaller foil wing (now NL190/160). I'd like to start boosting / jumping; doing so strapless isn't working out thus far. However, when I have to re-start in the surf, I like to be able to get out of the trouble as fast as I got into it, a more buoyant board would seem to enable that much better than a lesser buoyant / volume board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal