Author Topic: 14 ft board, going narrower  (Read 3251 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
14 ft board, going narrower
« on: September 28, 2020, 03:52:11 AM »
The 14x25 board I built is so stable I am thinking about going narrower. It's also over built and heavy. So a lighter narrower board. How narrow though. I guess by going 1 inch narrower you loose a lot of stability. Do I risk going down to 23" ? It will just be for calm days obviously.
 Has anyone gone from a 25" to 23" in a RS or blackfish style board. How big a difference was it.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 14 ft board, going narrower
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 07:37:04 AM »
Demoed both mentioned boards on said widths on calm conditions. Pretty quick adjustment. You could always compensate with a good fin setup for different conditions.
in progress...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 07:45:23 AM »
Yes I was thinking thruster. Maybe a small ventral ?
 Have to decide if I want to do the hollow thing again or just get a CNC cut foam blank. I now know I can go much lighter on the panels if I go hollow again.

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 08:23:07 AM »
If your going for a flatter water board I would look at the Clearwood V 14 in a 23 wide and change the rails so they are not as tucked in. I use my VLZ, the non-dugout version of this board, in every condition from flat to 4-5 foot wave downwinders now that I have gotten used to the rolling caused by those rounded and tucked in rails. I would also change the sides to be a little more parallel and increase the tail width a little as well.

I think a combination of the dugout and the rail change would make this a very stable board.

I have a ventral on my VLZ which does help with stability and tracking. I also  had a Infinity Whiplash with the 4 fin and did not see a major speed increase vs a single fin. I mostly liked it for rivers as I was able to have much shorter fins which did not catch on things in the water as much as a single deep fin.

for all my fins I used 12 inch fin boxes to give me more adjustment room.
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 08:36:02 AM »
Yes I was thinking thruster. Maybe a small ventral ?
 Have to decide if I want to do the hollow thing again or just get a CNC cut foam blank. I now know I can go much lighter on the panels if I go hollow again.

4Drive system is the most versatile setup for race/touring boards imo. I have it on few of my boards.
More details on that thread: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,22706.0.html

Based on your build post, the CNC blank way seems like a much easier/faster job?
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »
CNC a 1 pound EPS foam blank........... Wayyyyyyy less work.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 11:06:05 AM »
Yes SupSimco thats what put me off the Vlz14. I wanted a more allround board. And at 82 kgs I was worried the 23 would be too narrow in the bumpy conditions around here. It looks like a really fast board though. I am sure it would be faster on flat water than mine.
 He now has it in different widths as well.
  I am happy with my design. Maybe one or two little things I will change.
 I know a foam bank is less work. I just like the hollow thing. I might even go back to wood.
 Get the design done and get a quote for the blank then see. Its not going to be cheap here.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 11:36:42 AM »
You can also use 4x8 x 1 or 2" ridged EPS insulating sheets from HD or Lowes and Gorilla glue them together. Then just hand shape the laminated blank with templates and jigs. More hands on. I'm a carpenter so working with foam was new to me when I first started shaping. It's like shaping a piece of soap but softer. No grain direction or hardness to worry about. Do most of it low speed (non-powered) shaping and your shop won't turn into a foam mess. Put a power planer to it and you'll have a big mess. Router is ok with a vacuum attachment.
Here's a link to an old project of mine.
 https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,14206.0.html
It's not overhead to me!

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 12:35:18 PM »
Great work but I hate to think what a 14 ft block of foam would look like if I tried too shape it.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 02:52:06 PM »
I hand shaped my 18' unlimited with no power tools. I'll send a link on that build too. If I can find it?
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal