Author Topic: The Last of the Tropical Cyclone #12 Back Swell  (Read 2485 times)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Last of the Tropical Cyclone #12 Back Swell
« on: September 27, 2020, 06:32:04 AM »
The last of the back swell from Tropical Cyclone #12. This thing gave us many days of good waves. Sunday late afternoon runners. More experimenting with the paddle cam, and some slow motion. Shot at 1080P/60 and slowed in places to .400.

Youtube video is slowed down. The Instagram version is at full speed.

Board is a Blue Planet Pocket Knife 8'8"x29"x116L with Futures F6 Honeycomb fins set up as a thruster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiw5ho1KQzI

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFpCHz7HdUg/

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Last of the Tropical Cyclone #12 Back Swell
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 01:45:23 PM »
You got that paddle mount angle figured out now! I felt I was right there with you on those waves. The way I see it when I'm surfing. Yes.. you have to edit out all the actual flat paddling, but the result looks great! Well done. Fun looking waves.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 02:23:56 PM »
You have a nice rhythm on the wave... always an easy watch!
Looked like a nice session.  :)

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 10:05:36 AM »
love that style! I have been thinking about a paddle mount for my old hero. Which one do you use?  I bought a cheapo handlebar mount for it that seems pretty good. But I'm thinking paddling will put alot of stress on it.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 10:34:55 AM »
This is the cheapo mount that I use. I have to waste two tie-straps with each remount. I keeps the camera really close to the shaft as to not create some weird paddle swing issue. Plus the little foam floats do actually help the paddle float with the added weight, in case I lose it. What I don't like from a video framing position is that it's too close to the paddle shaft. Maybe the handle bar mount would work better? It stands off the shaft more and can be easily removed.

BTW, this mount was the one that was attached to the GoPro display box.

One more note, I've surfed with this paddle mount tons of sessions. In all that time, I've never hit my hand on the mount or my board with the camera.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 10:38:23 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 12:11:23 PM »
Nice carving and paddle mount pov. Oki got some stokey!!  8)
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 06:45:31 PM »
Thanks all.

I use the GoPro handlebar mount. It comes with a couple of inserts you won't use with a paddle (too small), and without the inserts is a little big for the paddle shaft. What that means, is that when clamped, it's not a perfect fit, and puts stress on the shaft in only one axis. OK if you clamp it lightly, but you need to be pretty careful when clamping something on a carbon tube like that.

In my case, where the paddle blade goes over the shaft, it's not perfectly round, and still has the seam. This plus a little tape I put on there makes it a perfect fit. I can clamp it tight enough that it won't move.

I like this mount, as you can also swivel it, but if I were putting it somewhere on the main shaft, I would do a custom mount for sure.

My paddle shafts are 29mm ( 1.14").

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 10:20:02 AM »
Now that I look at your mount I remember I why I didn't like it. That big screw sticking out the bottom. I like to prone paddle out when it gets big and there is no channel to paddle out through. With my Tie-straps I can lay the paddle on my board and wedge the paddle under my chest as if the camera wasn't there. Plus I could see that screw taking a chunk out of my rail on a missed stroke.
It's not overhead to me!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 12:54:39 PM »
Here is  Pro-Mount that Pono Bill built for me.

It's been working for 5 years.  Never slips.  Clips on and off (not easily).

I can keep the mount in my CamelBack or pocket, put it on and start filming.  This does take a bit of work to make but has lasted forever (5+ years now).

It's the cut-away from a Shaft with riveted GoPro mount.

PS: This mount is so light I just left it on my shaft for the entire summer while I was on the East Coast.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:56:14 PM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal