Author Topic: Fun glass off surf till dark...Then can't get into my car! sad...  (Read 12210 times)

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fun glass off surf till dark...Then can't get into my car! sad...
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2020, 01:16:01 PM »
All this makes me happy that my home break is a spot where you don't have to lock your car... 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 01:19:25 PM »
Have always just used the loop in the pocket of my trunks ... haven't lost a key yet.

Did give some thought to using a lockbox, but figured any low-life with the will (and a hammer) could probably bash the thing open anyways.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 02:09:34 PM »
I'm going to check out the lockbox sflinux suggested.
After my lockout I went investigating for something that had to be better, and found the lockbox sflinux linked to, and it's worked great since. Just have to make sure to remember to check it in the dark every so often to make sure the battery and light are still good...because even when brand new, the light is so dim that during the day you can't tell that it's even illuminated at all.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »
Have always just used the loop in the pocket of my trunks ... haven't lost a key yet.

Did give some thought to using a lockbox, but figured any low-life with the will (and a hammer) could probably bash the thing open anyways.
If s/he has a hammer...windows are way easier, a lot faster, and probably won't draw as much attention with one pop vs. pounding on a metal box several times or more. Not to mention costlier if s/he's gonna get in anyway, but now I've got a window to replace on top of everything else.  >:(
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »
Hi TallDude,
Time for an upgrade.  Lowes sells the new MasterLock Portable Lock Box with Light-UP Dials (Item#804058).
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Master-Lock-2-7-8-in-72-mm-Wide-Set-Your-Own-Combination-Light-Up-Dial-Portable-Lock-Box/1002648330

How does this light up lock box do with saltwater fingers on the dials?

My non-light up lockbox started "rusting" right away and need to keep greasing the dials to keep them from seizing. 

I looked into key options for Sprinters and as far as I know there is no open only key, opening the door with a non chipped key does something "bad", I don't recall at the moment but it sounded like a pain to reset.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 06:27:44 PM »
lol...at least you didn't need a ride back to the house for the keys!  ;)
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 07:18:53 PM »
Being a total geek with a new toy, I started researching the U1 chip that Apple put into the iWatch 6. The iPhone 11 has had a U1 chip fo about a year, but doesn't do all that much with it. U1 is an ultra-wideband positioning tech that lets other U1 equipped devices locate you within a few centimeters and take action prompted by encrypted messages passed very rapidly between devices. UWB devices not only know who is sending a message, they also know where the message comes from. So it's a lot easier to do secured actions like unlocking a car. You walk up with your phone in your pocket and your watch on your wrist and the car knows it's you.

There are a lot of applications for this tech, and it's going to be a land-grab race to see who gets the most useful applications and services with it. Some of the stuff can also be done with Bluetooth Low Energy, but UWB is several orders of magnitude more precise.

Some of the shit you may not like. Walk up to a cereal box in a grocery store and your watch might offer you a discount coupon for exactly the box you're looking at. Handy, yes, creepy, yes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 10:56:37 PM »
my leashlok waist leash has a really nice velcro pocket that keeps my key safe.

Thank you for this. I have the leashlok waist leash and had no idea it had a pocket. Had to go and check, and sure enough, there it was. Very cool. Thanks again.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2020, 08:18:58 AM »
And to thank you for that Mark, I gave you a cup of day old coffee. What a friend.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
And to thank you for that Mark, I gave you a cup of day old coffee. What a friend.
Lmao! You seem like an asset in the friends dept.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2020, 01:42:06 PM »
A fresh cup next time your out, will make it official:)
It's not overhead to me!

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2020, 11:00:30 AM »
This is so relatable. I have a tundra with an open only key and have two wired up under the chassis in different locations. Plus one stays in the loop of my wetsuit.
 -
I have locked in plenty of keys and done many other brain dead things but ever since one day when I was 26 I have always fitted my vehicles with multiple keys and keys in alternate locations (at the office and leave a set with my sister).

It was a late October afternoon, I was having a wonderful afternoon fishing for coho salmon on a pretty remote river. I had a 4 fish limit of beautiful fish and the temperature had dropped below freezing as dusk fell on the river. I had walked a mile from my truck to where I was having good luck. The location was a logging road and when I parked I was with 9 rigs and in the morning there would likely be at least 10 rigs, but after dark I was the only one there. I had a Chevy Truck (96 S-10) at the time.

The place I parked had a waist deep side channel that you have to cross with some substantial current. During my afternoon of fishing the river rose about 6". When I got to the crossing it was dark and I was navigating by headlight, plus I had 4 salmon on a rope, and I accidentally entered the river in a location that was slightly downstream of where I should have. 3/4 the way across where it started to get deep - the fresh current swept me off my feet.

It could have been a pretty dangerous situation, I was wearing chest waders and below me was 10' deep snaggy water, but I was able to lunge out and swim a few hard strokes and grab on a log on the side I was headed to. The fish rope was tied to me and  the fish were swept into some debris below the log, and were dragging me back and downstream I had to reach down and around the log to pull the fish out. During that operation my headlight fell off, and was swept downstream.

So was able to roll out onto the log and get out of the water. My waders were already freezing with ice by the time I got to my rig and I realized that my keys were not in my fishing vest. They had fallen out along during my swim(I thought). No matter I had a key wired under the truck, but my light was shining bright in the river. So I laid down and started feeling around up under the chassis. I could not find the key. After what felt like 10 minutes (probably less) my fingers were so numb that I could not feel anything. My hands were just lumps at the end of my arms. Teeth chattering, soaked from head to foot I realized things were getting pretty serious.

First I thought maybe I had wired the key up on the other side of the truck so I tried that for a bit. No luck I just barked my hands up more. They were bleeding but I couldn't feel a thing. The choices were a 3 mile walk in the dark to a main road to hopefully get a ride somewhere or break a window out, because there was a flashlight in the glove box. I chose the window breaking, so I hunted around for a rock and had a helluva time breaking out one of the back window panels. My hands were so cold and bloody that everything I grabbed was slick with blood, so I had to keep wiping down with my bait towel, but actually I was able to blow the back window latch apart and got in without breaking a window. I don't know how long the whole thing took, but I got a little freaked out because of how cold I was.

My stupidity paid off in that I had actually left my keys in the car on the seat so I was able to get heated up pretty fast. Turns out the key under my chassis had fallen off. I used a zip tie, but must have had brush up under there knock it off or maybe it froze and broke. So now I do duplicates with twisted wire holding them in  (one near a front tire, one near a back tire) and I do a few dry runs of finding them with my eyes closed. It is also nice to have 2 keys in case you park over a puddle or on a busy road. I also hide a starting key inside every vehicle, because now the opening keys don't start the car.

TLDR - non surf related story about why I wire up two opening only keys under my rigs.
Make paddleboarding great again!

rw2

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2020, 06:34:01 AM »
I apply the KISS rule to lockboxes and never understand why people scramble every digit of their lockbox code after they lock up (presuming here you are not using the kind where you punch the code in).

Drives me nuts at a few of my properties where I use lockboxes.

Just swipe one digit and you're good. Additionally, it's great for when it's cold out and your fingers are numb.

The fact is that if someone is going to spend time guessing your code, they'll probably just break the window instead.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2020, 10:18:56 AM »
I apply the KISS rule to lockboxes and never understand why people scramble every digit of their lockbox code after they lock up (presuming here you are not using the kind where you punch the code in).

Drives me nuts at a few of my properties where I use lockboxes.

Just swipe one digit and you're good. Additionally, it's great for when it's cold out and your fingers are numb.

The fact is that if someone is going to spend time guessing your code, they'll probably just break the window instead.
Sorry, but that makes way to much sense to be posted here.
It's not overhead to me!

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 07:01:10 AM »

If s/he has a hammer...windows are way easier, a lot faster, and probably won't draw as much attention with one pop vs. pounding on a metal box several times or more. Not to mention costlier if s/he's gonna get in anyway, but now I've got a window to replace on top of everything else.  >:(

Not all windows are equal  8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdvwHg6nOQc&t=14s&ab_channel=JakubHerrmann
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal