Author Topic: Fun glass off surf till dark...Then can't get into my car! sad...  (Read 12215 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fun glass off surf till dark...Then can't get into my car! sad...
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2020, 09:41:32 AM »
Good thing it wasn't transparent aluminum.

https://youtu.be/RnUszxx2pYc
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2020, 05:39:50 PM »
Thanks' Clay. Good article. I did find a little key pouch sewn into the seam near my shoulder blade on my Rip Curl 'dawn patrol' fullsuit. For the most part, I'm not using the lock box anymore. Pretty safe at SanO with everyone hanging around the cars all the time.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »
Clay, thank you for sharing, very helpful. 
I talked with a local locksmith and he said it will be ~$38 to copy my Honda key into one that doesn't have the chip (for door entry only, but is safe for salt water).  He said I just need to get the key code from the Honda dealer.
I am going to try this product from Amazon (silicone sack):
https://www.amazon.com/KGUARD-Waterproof-Windsurfing-Bodyboarding-Kitesurfing/dp/B087H3LSFG/
Today I will try a wide mouth 125 mL HDPE bottle with a lanyard, stuffed inside my wetsuit. :-\
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 03:10:53 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2020, 07:48:00 AM »
Update: Honda dealer was able to make me a "dummy" key for $20, which is a plain metal key for door entry, but no chip so will not start the car.
The Kguard product looks good if an electronic key is your only option (depending on your car).  If inserting a metal key in the Kguard, may be a good idea to cap the key with a short piece of tygon tubing to eliminate any sharp edges.
125 mL HDPE bottle worked, but was bulky. ::)
If you don't have a trunk in your vehicle to hide your keys (I typically disengage the trunk release from inside the car), something like a gun safe is an alternative, which will fit phone, wallet, and keys.  If anyone knows of a gun safe that is secure and hard to pick, I would be interested to know.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 07:58:55 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »
oops
, picture won't load

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2020, 05:52:54 PM »
I was considering a lockbox but got turned off by all the bad reviews on Amazon.

I prefer to have my car key with me when I surf. That way I know it's safe and it's easy to get to when I need it. The Nissan dealer cut me two valet keys for $13.00 each. They won't start the car. All they do is lock and unlock the doors. One key goes around my neck on a strong piece of nylon string and then goes into the key pouch in the neck of my wetsuit. The other key is well hidden on the vehicle just in case I ever get locked out.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 06:38:29 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

MaartenAir

• Waikiki Status
  • If in doubt, paddle out
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2021, 11:02:56 AM »
Here is my solution for the carkey: put the key in a balloon, balloon into a cheap Tribord pouch. Works like a charm, with me it spends a lot of time underwater lol.  On some beaches I do not feel comfortable using the keypod. I have a Northcore keypod and I've heard it can fail at times. That would suck when in the middle of nowhere.
Starboard Whopper 10
Sunova The One 9'5"
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'1"

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2021, 01:50:02 PM »
locksmiths literally call this key blank a "surf key".  I wasn't satisfied with that because its a bit too big to fit in the little pouch in my leash, so I bough a blank, filed it down in length to the minimum possible and cut off most of the handle.  Then I brought the smaller blank back to the locksmith to copy it.

I worry about salt water getting in the lock, so I stick it in my mouth and give it a saliva rinse before using it.  Too gross for you?  Working fine for me for the last 10 years several times a week.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2021, 02:34:29 PM »
Oddly enough, the best bags I've found for water use are the ones I was certain wouldn't work--the magnetic ones. They have a single fold, no gaskets, and are held closed by a bunch of magnets that I was sure would kill my credit cars. They don't seem to harm credit cards or anything else, and I've tested the heck out of numerous small phone and or key bags by putting tissues inside them and submerging them weighted, overnight, in the pool. the only ones that pass are the mag bags, and even the first one I got, which is so abused I can hardly see through the thoroughly yellowed plastic, still works perfectly.

Weird.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2022, 11:29:34 AM »
A little addendum to an old thread. A few days ago I did an exercise paddle with Boyum. When I got back to my car my open-only key wouldn't work. It went into the lock OK but wouldn't turn. I fussed at it, certain that my salt-water-wet key had turned the lock into a rusted mess. I stood up to stretch my back and noticed a van next to mine that was the same color--not only that, it had my rack on it.

On the plus side, it reminded me it was time for another shot of lithium grease into the lock.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2022, 08:22:06 AM »
It's worthwhile to take a very close look at your electronic key fob to see if it contains a open-only key. What I thought was just a metal tab for connecting a keychain on my minivan in Maui (yes, the skanky Xterra got replaced) turned out to actually be an open-only key. I wouldn't have known but I decided to take a look at the owner's manual--an unusual step for me, but I wanted to see how to remove the second-row seating. Not only did I discover the second row of seats can disappear into the floor (they'll probably never see the light of day again) but I also found instructions for removing the open-only key. Two happy surprises, maybe this "read the manual" thing has promise.

My son,who grew up with two much older sisters and mother who keeps EVERY manual for EVERYTHING organized on a shelf, says it should be called a "womanual" since no men read them :D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2022, 12:13:22 PM »
I locked myself out of the new funmobile--a hand-me-down Volt from Diane. She bought a new Tesla Model Y, probably the perfect Maui car. I have one in Hood River that showed up about four days before we left for the winter, but I expect good things.

Anyway, the Volt key doesn't remove from the dodad, So I stuck it in a new magbag phone thing, and put it in the big pocket in the back of my impact vest. When I was done foiling I opened the hatch to put my stuff away, tossed the impact vest into the back, slammed the hatch, and went to shower, assuming that it would be the same as leaving the key in the car (the doors will lock, but unlock when you push the buttons on the handles). I came back and nothing would open. Apparently, my vest was a bit too far from the radio receiver. Fuck me to tears.

I borrowed a phone from a friend and called Diane. 40 minutes later she showed up with the spare key--problem solved, but this cannot stand. So here's my solution.

Spare key wrapped in aluminum foil to create a Faraday cage. Store that in the console.

Took apart the dodad and removed the key. stuck the transmitter back in the bag for insertion into my impact vest or whatever. Made a hide a key thingie to hide the key bit.

Now if I get locked out because the transmitter kaacks or something goes wrong I can recover the manual key, unwrap the spare, and off we go. I still have the benefit of walk-up unlocking and keyless starting, but I'm going to have to get very senile to be locked out again. This might help other mindless cretins who can barely remember where they parked their car in a tiny parking lot.

If I can manage to remember to do it I'll add a spare battery to the wrapped-up key. But that's unlikely.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 12:17:21 PM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal