Author Topic: Should this site be renamed the foil zone?  (Read 5242 times)

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should this site be renamed the foil zone?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2022, 11:43:33 AM »
I love the zone and learned so much in the beginning from reading threads . It truly made me a better surfer . I know the foil thing is big and made it to a beginner intermediate winger given I live Portland close to the gorge.  I would hate to see it change. Just my opinion. Maybe remember to post sup content and foil content to balance it out?

The new forum ruler for high performance sup surfing is on FB .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/446598407248720/?ref=share&mibextid=NSMWBT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2022, 03:22:49 AM »
I just don't understand why Facebook is so popular. It's just a place to post photos. Impossible to have a conversation of any kind. Comments are very short if there are any at all. You can't search the archives for information. What's the point?
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supthecreek

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2022, 06:09:10 AM »
Badger
You have made a number of “definitive proclamations “ here. Interesting ….

I have been a surfer since 1964.
SUP is my surfing.
I couldn’t care less about foiling or the next new thing. SUP surfing will always be my passion.
I never lose interest in the amazing new products that are being innovated in my SUPs… the new models are light years better than older designs. I am super stoked about SUP but can’t post anything on here since I am no longer a sponsor.

Facebook IS currently the best place to connect with SUP surfers from around the world. I talk with people I meet there almost everyday.

My YouTube channel is very active with stoked SUPsters from around the world.

SUP surfing is alive and well, and venues that make information sharing are fun and easy are attracting a bigger and bigger audience.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2022, 06:22:29 AM »
Rick, As noted many times, you are encouraged to post here.  As with all brand associated individuals, branded content is what is not allowed.  Thanks!

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2022, 12:27:23 PM »
Grateful for the discussion gentlemen. These were the sentiments that motivated my o.p. I don't have the financial or time bandwidth to dip my toe in to foiling. I appreciate the skill, novelty and game changing aspect...but I can't let myself go down that rabbit hole.

Taller than most, shorter than others.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2022, 05:13:28 AM »
I was as stoked as anyone with the introduction of SUP and SUP surfing, and it rejuvenated my hibernating surfing career.  I started surfing in 1970 at age 9 and I lived and breathed surfing through my college years.  Jobs scattered around the country and world didn't always offer me the  opportunity to surf.  Enter windsurfing which I was drawn to and a way to be on the water and adrenaline pumping despite the lack of surf.  Once I started wave sailing, I became addicted to windsurfing, and I'd pray for wind as much as I would pray for surf. Conditions at my Caribbean home favored windsurfing to surfing, so there I was. I also loved the fact I could windsurf alone, far from any maddening crowds.   Then I discovered SUP..it allowed me to surf outer breaks which I never would have experienced or ventured out to investigate.   Suddenly I was praying for no wind again.   I could catch waves on my SUP that I could never prone paddle into. It was a new world for me and one I enjoy to this day and a part of my exercise routine.  Flat water SUP I also enjoy very much, and I have 10 Cape Cod Bay Challenges in the books as a result.  As years went by and more and more people got into SUP surfing here in the U.S. , I found the crowds, parking issues and altercations in the water all too common, and my stoke was quickly fading.  I still enjoy many solitary surf sessions in the Caribbean which I relish, but back in the U.S., I just wasn't enjoying SUP surfing any more and would find excuses not to paddle out or even check the surf cams...  next Covid hit and I spent hours upon hours on YouTube checking out windsurfing videos which led me to some Naish foiling videos, and I knew I had to try wing foiling.   At 60 I couldn't believe there was a new sport, aside from pickle ball that someone at my age could learn and be totally stoked all over again.  With a surfing and windsurfing background, wing foiling came pretty easily to me.  I also had many great suggestions and tips from fellow 'Zoners and for that I am most grateful to this site.  Foiling is so much easier on my aging body than the constant pounding of windsurfing, and riding unbroken swells far from shore and far from the crowds is such an amazing feeling.  I describe it to friends as a "Magic carpet Ride."  While I haven't turned my back on the world of SUP, or the Stand up Zone, I just have another hobby which takes a lot of my time and interest, and I am thankful that many foilers contribute to the 'Zone.  I am a fan  of anything that gets you out of the house and on the water.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 05:20:27 AM by Caribsurf »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2022, 07:13:48 AM »
SUP will never die. It's permanently fixed into the fabric of surfing and as a mode of water travel. People will be enjoying it for centuries to come.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal