Author Topic: Fun glass off surf till dark...Then can't get into my car! sad...  (Read 12208 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fun glass off surf till dark...Then can't get into my car! sad...
« on: September 24, 2020, 08:49:19 PM »
So it was a great session this evening. It was dark walking back to my car. Problem.. not enough light to see the combination on my lockbox. So I ask some kid if he could shine his phone light on my combi-lock. So he's shining the light his light but I still couldn't read the numbers without my glasses. So I told him the combo and he opened it for this old man. :-\
Next time I'll leave a pair of glasses and a flashlight on my tire......OMG!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
Re: Fun glass off surf till dark...Then can't get into my car! sad...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 09:09:17 PM »
Oh wow, I'm glad you found some help.

Several times I've forgotten about needing light after sunset sessions and come back to my van in a near panic.

One time I hijacked a Jump bike (one of those rent by the minute electric bikes), i dragged it over to the van while it's chirping at me to put it back where I found it.  I used the light on the front of the bike to open my combo (pushing the buttons on the bike would turn on the headlight). Lol.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 10:11:38 PM »
Hahahaha!!! I'm not laughing at you TD, but rather with you. Because the same thing happened to me Doho in the lot about 5 years ago...but there was only a couple of cars left on the very north side of the lot with no one at them, and I was parked way at the south end. :o

So after about 15 minutes of trying to squint my way to somehow think I'd suddenly see the numbers...I catch a young couple walking out the their car, and start yelling, waving, and hustling towards them - in nothing but board shorts - which only causes them to walk faster to their car as they see half naked mad man running at them. Fortunately they only jumped in their car, started it, but didn't speed off, and I was able to explain my predicament through the ever so slightly opened driver's window.

They never did open their window more than a crack, drove 30' behind me as I walked back to my truck, and then were nice enough to shine their headlights on the lock hanging on my receiver, and then drove off immediately as soon as they saw I had it open...so fast in fact that I didn't even get the opportunity to say "Thank you".

Moral of the story: Never be the last person out of the water, on the beach, or one of the last 3 vehicles in the lot. ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 01:16:35 AM »
Yup...Got the t-shirt on this one...

Usually when going out in late afternoon/early evening, I try to remember to remove the Photon I Micro-Light from my keychain and leave it on my car rooftop so I can use it later to read the numbers on the lockbox.  Unfortunately, too often I either forget to do that, or I don't need to use the light, then forget to put it back on my keyring, only to have that little light blow off the car roof at some point on the ride home...then gotta buy another new light, which I OF COURSE usually forget to do. 

About a week ago at Doheny I found myself in the nighttime keybox fumble again--my light having been lost to the rooftop recently.  I HAD anticipated this and had left my lighter on the roof, but of course it decided to sputter out its last gasp just when I needed it.  It took about 20 minutes of shivering and squinting at shadows to get the lockbox open because no one was around to help. 

There's gotta be a product idea out there--something that operates by a Braille-like system or by directional movement?  (Just found this one for a potential stocking stuffer:  https://www.amazon.com/KeyGuard-SL-501-Capacity-Storage-Shackle/dp/B00JRWCQLS/ref=pd_sbs_263_2/137-7464083-5018456?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00JRWCQLS&pd_rd_r=7a1bb6f9-c5c2-4e0a-bb4d-bec6204acf0e&pd_rd_w=GOE6u&pd_rd_wg=QkZhn&pf_rd_p=b65ee94e-1282-43fc-a8b1-8bf931f6dfab&pf_rd_r=CYN6ZPHBKYJSN2Q3MB63&psc=1&refRID=CYN6ZPHBKYJSN2Q3MB63)

Maybe the simpler solution is to get an extra keychain light or small flashlight and then hot glue a magnet onto it so it can be left leave magnetically attached in an accessible spot under the car?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:55:16 AM by The Kernel »
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 04:22:15 AM »
TD,
Nothing shatters the apre' surf stoke like being stranded in the dark, wet and hungry!
hopefully the kid quickly forgot the combo  ;)

I finally started using the key loop in my baggies, to permanently attach an "open only" key.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 04:22:33 AM »
Funny stories.  Why don't you guys just get magnetic flashlights that you can leave on your vehicles.  Lots of choices for those.  Then you don't have to worry about remembering to take lights in or out of your vehicles.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 05:50:38 AM »
Ya, like Creek...  ' gotta keep a Deadman in your baggies ..besides the other one.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 05:54:19 AM »
Gave up on combo boxes early on, as even in sunlight, I have trouble reading it. I have an open only key that I used to keep on a lanyard around my neck. But of course one time it came off in the white water, even though I had on a rash guard. Since then, my leashlok waist leash has a really nice velcro pocket that keeps my key safe. The only problem is that I end up wearing the kook-belt even when the waves are small because of it. But I'm already on a SUP so who's counting.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 07:39:30 AM »
Yes, getting old has a lot of complications. I suspect it might get worse, not better.

My truck in HR has an external combination lock that lights up when you press the buttons. But in Maui I wear a open-only key around my neck on a piece of kite line that's just long enough to get on and off with a little finesse. The magic is in making the loop tight enough that there's no way it can come off by accident. I put it on first thing when I get up and take it off only to go to bed.

And of course, there's a hidden key as backup. Assuming I can remember where I put it.

Or you could do as I have done a few too many times--get excitied about conditions and forget to lock up--or even to close the doors. I left my Xterra with both front doors and the rear hatch open in Maliko Gulch while Boyum and I were doing a downwinder. It looked so weird that Frank Forbes took a picture of it and closed the doors. Having a seriously skanky vehicle is a big security benefit sometimes.

The new iwatch has a capability of connecting to nearby RF devices so I expect to see some lock apps for walk-up opening a car (or your home). Probably any car that has a remote lock can be controlled, the only question is how many manufacturers will jump in and how far back they'll go. Remote locks have security protocols and hacking them is an issue.

I installed a walk-up lock at our Hood River home and it was such a pain in the ass that I moved it to a rarely used door to serve as an option when if forget my keys. The conflict between security and convenience is always present.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 07:41:17 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 07:51:35 AM »
Hi TallDude,
Time for an upgrade.  Lowes sells the new MasterLock Portable Lock Box with Light-UP Dials (Item#804058).
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Master-Lock-2-7-8-in-72-mm-Wide-Set-Your-Own-Combination-Light-Up-Dial-Portable-Lock-Box/1002648330
I still have the old lock box and would store the free magnetic light under my bumper from harbor freight, but it has since fallen off my car.
https://www.harborfreight.com/ultra-bright-led-portable-worklightflashlight-63878.html
I try to park under street lights, else wait for the light of passing headlights of cars.  I noticed that as the lock box ages (corrosion of paint), the numbers get harder to read.  I like lock boxes as they keep my locks from getting gummed up.  We have a lot of local thieves that watch surfers store keys out of sight on their car.  When I am in a hurry, I sometimes leave it hanging under my bumper unlocked while driving home. :-[
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 08:04:36 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 08:11:38 AM »
I had gotten away with getting my electronic key quite wet a couple of times. Several times through the washer, no problem. I may have even kited or SUP paddled (not waves) with it without problem (can't remember for sure). Not long ago I parked to surf in an exposed and unfamiliar spot, I was uncomfortable leaving the key in my car so I took it out with me SUP surfing. I came back and it was worthless starting my car. I had to call my wife to drive the 45 min to this spot. Key is working again .... but lesson learned. The e-key FOB will not hold up to prolonged submersion and water forces from surfing. I think the water cause the battery to run down.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 08:22:30 AM »
It's worthwhile to take a very close look at your electronic key fob to see if it contains a open-only key. What I thought was just a metal tab for connecting a keychain on my minivan in Maui (yes, the skanky Xterra got replaced) turned out to actually be an open-only key. I wouldn't have known but I decided to take a look at the owner's manual--an unusual step for me, but I wanted to see how to remove the second-row seating. Not only did I discover the second row of seats can disappear into the floor (they'll probably never see the light of day again) but I also found instructions for removing the open-only key. Two happy surprises, maybe this "read the manual" thing has promise.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 08:46:23 AM »
For as long as I can remember I've always had my key on me in my board shorts or wetsuit. This lock box thing started with the cheap RipCurl dawnpatrol fullsuit I bought a few years ago. I has no pocket. I've looked all over it, none. That's why I bought the lockbox. The key on my Honda Element doesn't appear to have any electronics in it. I've never had a problem with it in the water. I'm going to check out the lockbox sflinux suggested. Next time I need a wetsuit I'll spend the extra $$ and get one with pocket.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 08:49:07 AM »
For as long as I can remember I've always had my key on me in my board shorts or wetsuit. This lock box thing started with the cheap RipCurl dawnpatrol fullsuit I bought a few years ago. I has no pocket. I've looked all over it, none. That's why I bought the lockbox. The key on my Honda Element doesn't appear to have any electronics in it. I've never had a problem with it in the water. I'm going to check out the lockbox sflinux suggested. Next time I need a wetsuit I'll spend the extra $$ and get one with pocket.

Don't forget that your leash has a key pocket in the cuff. I've never seen one that doesn't.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 10:43:48 AM »
While I always take a key somewhere on my person (pocket, leash, neck), I've had a trusty backup zip-tied underneath my car for years.  I discovered recently that this is only a reliable  system if the zip-tied key is actually the one for your car.  Talk about feeling the highs of wisdom and complete stupidity in rapid succession....
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal