Author Topic: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol SURF TRACKING  (Read 20821 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol SURF TRACKING
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2021, 03:56:01 PM »
But certainly not good enough for zero to 34mph in a second or two.  No way Jose'.

No one catches big waves in 2 seconds.  Another bad assumption anecdotal error.  Watch anyone paddling in to 20+ foot waves. 

I have been clocked by my Trace and iWatch at 15 to 19 mph and NOT caught the waves.  It often takes 5 to 10 seconds to get up to speed.  Unless there is an air-drop.

This was before the TRACE but I took ~ 8 seconds to make the drop which is always where the fastest part of the wave is recorded. 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 03:57:54 PM by Beasho »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2021, 12:12:04 AM »
No one catches big waves in 2 seconds.
-snip-
Unless there is an air-drop.

Well, I guess that settles that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-snip-
The Apple Watch uses an interval that "varies." The definition of that is proprietary, but from what I've seen online (and anecdotally validated through using it) is that the the Apple Watch is taking a fix roughly every ten seconds then using an accelerometer to interpolate position.
-snip-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the one hand I should be happy someone even wants to pay attention to this.  On the other hand the responses are anecdotal.

I Googled  "iWatch GPS sample rate" and that's all I could find.  The thread inferred that GPS has serious limitations among wristwatches.  GPS is what it is, and it ain't much for accurate speed on the water.  That's common wisdom on the web.  GPS eats batteries, that's common wisdom too.  Hence the low sample rate... 

This is probably The Fastest longest wave ever recorded. 

That's quite a claim. 

-snip-
The only comparable waves to Mavericks (Half Moon Bay) are Jaws and Nazarre
-snip-
PS: Maybe Skeleton Bay?

There are several spots in the islands that hold giant surf.  Undoubtedly several more around the globe.           

Glad your iWatch is working for you and your pals.  Been fun, I'm out.
Support your local shaper

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2021, 02:02:18 PM »
I lost my first apple watch with a sport loop, this is the watch band I use now and recommend:
http://youtu.be/o6-o_yVD-nQ
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2021, 02:42:49 PM »
Robert, you should try braided solo loop from Apple. Pricey but it is the best band imho.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2021, 06:36:26 PM »
We are using the solid single piece stretch apple band. Been surprised it hasn’t stretched out or broke. Had it about 6 months so far.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 07:19:50 PM by Dwight (DW) »

lpmaui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2021, 06:46:00 PM »
Carterjett..Excellent band for surfing.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2021, 07:45:43 PM »
We are using the solid single piece stretch apple band. Been surprised it hasn’t stretched out or broke. Had it about 6 months so far.
It was great for me until it broke. So I would not trust it 100% near water.  Braided one seems to be much stronger but time will tell.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2021, 09:56:18 PM »
Mine broke too. Fortunately, it was when I was taking it off. I replaced it with a non-apple solid band that seems a bit better engineered and for some strange reason I also bought a fancy leather band with a tiffany clasp. No idea what I was thinking.

No reasonable officiating body is ever going to accept standard GPS speed results other than as elapsed time over a considerable distance, much less something that comprises one of many functions in a watch unless some company decides that doppler speed measurement represents an interesting and profitable market segment--so yeah, never.

The only GPS devices that are accurate for speed measurement are older than flip phones and used to bring silly money on eBay. Even I have forgotten who made them and what models have doppler.

All that doesn't matter--iWatches are close enough for our purposes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2021, 03:47:08 AM »
Thx Robert for the tip.

I need to change mine. For now I wear wetsuits (jackets in summer) mostly which protect it. But as I’m starting to wear vests too I cut the wrist/sleeve off of my old jacket and kept it as a protective cover. It’s only a couple of inches, looks like a sweatband and covers it up.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal