Author Topic: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol SURF TRACKING  (Read 20817 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol SURF TRACKING
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2021, 10:04:28 AM »
For those new to the surf data game let me put this in context:

6 Years ago I bought a TRACE.  I started recording the speed of every wave since that time.  TRACE went belly up in March of last year (2020).  I had gone through 2 TRACEs of my own and then was gifted 2 more by a guy in New Zealand and PonoBill (Thank you both).  I started using Dawn Patrol in June 2018.  I found that Dawn Patrol, with the iWatch were recording the same speeds on waves.  TRACE was recording @ 5 Hz where the iWatch is typically 1 Hz. (RIPCURL watches were recording speeds ~ 20% slower).   I have recorded 10,000+ waves between the TRACE and iWatch (now my second iWatch).

Haley Fiske has been surfing Mavericks for 20 years.  I told him I was counting waves and he said "Beasho I started counting my waves at Mavericks in the fall of 2009.  On January 10th, 2010 I had caught my 100th wave and stopped counting."  OMFG!  In 4 months 100 waves.  I will sit down 

Haley, and Jeff Clark have been recording waves on a TRACE (now defunct) and are each on their 2nd iWatches with Dawn Patrol.  When they score a good session, or even a random session, I get a ping with the screen shot.
  • I have recorded 10,000 waves in California, New England, Fiji and on the North Shore of Oahu less than 20 waves > 30 mph
  • Haley has caught >>1,000 waves at Mavericks
  • The only comparable waves to Mavericks (Half Moon Bay) are Jaws and Nazarre
  • Going faster than 30 mph on a surfboard is incredibly hard to do anywhere in the world
  • Riding a wave for 1/2 a mile is incredibly rare

From what I have seen around Planet Earth - Haley's ride was significant.

But as with all scientific endeavors if you have better data please share it. 

PS: Maybe Skeleton Bay?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:34:20 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2021, 10:08:21 AM »
See this article which was TRACE issuing a worldwide SPEED competition using their device. 

Yes from 2014 BUT it puts into perspective where you have to be to go faster than 30 MPH aka Waimea is 3rd on the list.

https://www.theinertia.com/surf/these-groms-are-surfing-over-30-mph-in-the-first-ever-digital-surf-contest/

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2021, 10:14:51 AM »
Here was a post from 3 years ago: Similar topic with data from around the world:

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33988.msg385868.html#msg385868

The reason this makes no sense to you is that in all your "scientific" analysis you fail to recognize the biggest factor of all, and that is the skill of the person surfing the craft.  You assume the surfer is a dead weight just sitting on top of the board, which is definitely not true.

Data Deniers the modern version of Luddites waving their hands and raising their voice when they see something that threatens them. 

Ignorant AND Opinionated must be a beautiful way to go through life.    8)

On the topic of SPEED there is one factor that override everything and that is the size of the wave.  I have an advantage both geographically and with data because Mavericks is my home break and I am the only person (other than Haley Fiske) that has attempted to paddle in under my own power at Mavericks on a foil.  To do this transcends the skill and enters the realm of big wave surfing something few people are willing to consider.

There was a speed competition in March sponsored by Ocean Addicts in Australia.  I was originally at the top of the list but the Australians would have none of that and started posting results.  It was springtime here and the waves were not regularly pumping.  Here were the results.  Fastest wave Prone.   :o  I sat in 4th place.

If you look at the data I already posted (small sample) there was a wave that maxed out at 28.5 mph.  This equates to 46 km/hr or 5% faster than anyone on the list. (This was prior to the competition so I did NOT submit it).

Fastest FOIL on Record - 8' 2" L41 SUP converted to Foil Board flying a Kai Foil (paddle in) - aka HEAVY clunky board & small foil.  Note that my fastest wave on the IWA (Posted above) was 25 mph or 40 km/hr putting me in 3rd place with a big wing.  And I haven't even mined all my data yet.  But if you have better data, as I said, please share.

Link here:
https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Foiling/Hydrofoil-Surfing-Speed-Competition
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:26:42 AM by Beasho »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2021, 10:32:29 AM »
For those new to the surf data game let me put this in context.
TRACE was recording @ 5 Hz where the iWatch is typically 1 Hz.   

Your Gopro records GPS at 18Hz.  Overlay the telemetry on video (with a real time running speed graph).  Trust me,  you will gain a new perspective on peak speed.

Support your local shaper

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2021, 04:26:03 PM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 05:21:39 PM »
I found that Dawn Patrol, with the iWatch were recording the same speeds on waves.  TRACE was recording @ 5 Hz where the iWatch is typically 1 Hz. (RIPCURL watches were recording speeds ~ 20% slower).   I have recorded 10,000+ waves between the TRACE and iWatch (now my second iWatch).

I'm not sure what you mean by recording at 5hz vs. 1hz. So you mean 5 position recordings per second?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2021, 07:27:34 PM »
I found that Dawn Patrol, with the iWatch were recording the same speeds on waves.  TRACE was recording @ 5 Hz where the iWatch is typically 1 Hz. (RIPCURL watches were recording speeds ~ 20% slower).   I have recorded 10,000+ waves between the TRACE and iWatch (now my second iWatch).

I'm not sure what you mean by recording at 5hz vs. 1hz. So you mean 5 position recordings per second?

Yes.  Trace downloads provided 5 readings per second.  So a 2 hour session would have 36,000 data points.  Latitude, Longitude, Speed, Direction and Distance. RIP.  The Waterspeed app allows for CSV downloads but at ~ 1 record per second.  But as you remember the TRACE was a handful to work with and @ $200 per device a significant % of the Cost of an iWatch. 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2021, 07:34:42 PM »
Pretty long wave.

Yes - Very mellow long wave.  How fast?  Maybe 20 or 22 mph?

Since this is a Standup forum, here is what a takeoff looks like at the Bowl at Mavericks.  Haley again.  He was between watches to I don't know how fast this ride was. 

https://vimeo.com/488797391/e760affcf3
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 07:48:17 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2021, 07:47:16 PM »
If he makes the bowl section then he is riding a wave like this for another 600 yards.  Or 6X longer than shown in this video. 

There would likely be 4 or 5 reforms with 15 to 25 foot faces to survive to make it 800+ yards. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtb5iQIJZQg

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2021, 07:06:10 AM »
2 Years ago Laird spends a week and flies to Pacasmayo in search of the longest wave.  He rides for 4:15 and travels 1.1 mile @ 15 mph average.  Spends $10,000's to get there and get a drone pilot, boat . . .

Laird has invented many things: Tow-in surfing, Strapped surfing, Tow-Foiling and SUP.  We all wanted to foil from the first time we saw tow foiling in Step Into Liquid.  But what Laird did was untouchable.

Then Alex Aguerra invents a wing that is SLOWER.  Kai Lenny puts the Kai GoFoil on his downwind board and the TRUE foil surfing revolution started. From Tow-In Foiling to Downwind SUP foiling and then Prone Foiling.  Suddenly foiling was available to the masses. Things evolved.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:16:03 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2021, 07:10:24 AM »
Then someone puts peanut butter in the chocolate.  We don't even know who.  Maybe it was this guy????

The Wing-Ding revolution is ON.  People all over the world from lakes in Switzerland to the Ocean waves in the Azores to the frozen January winds off Toronto are winging in everything and getting really good.  What started in Hawaii was unleashed as if the power were turned off in Jurassic Park.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:16:23 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2021, 07:14:08 AM »
And we come full circle to the battle of the greats.  Laird rides for a mile 2 years ago in Peru and yesterday Jeff Clark rides for 21 miles.  Continuous foil flight for 90 minutes.  Winds were blowing 30 mph.

Yesterday.  Stepping out of his car and rigging up a 4.2 meter wing in his home town of Half Moon Bay he rides for 21 miles. 

But you wouldn't know it without the iWatch.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:17:37 AM by Beasho »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2021, 09:32:24 AM »
Paddle in surf versus wing is not comparable. In my opinion. Neither is Molokai to Oahu.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
Then someone puts peanut butter in the chocolate.  We don't even know who.  Maybe it was this guy????
Ken Winner (not him in your picture).

The Waterspeed app allows for CSV downloads but at ~ 1 record per second.

Garbage in, garbage out.  Telemetry scrolled real time (like a scope on a hospital heart rate monitor) will show you the error of your ways.  Flatlines at 18Hz is one thing, at "~1Hz" would give new meaning to the concept of  "data smoothing." 

You live a stone's throw from Silicon Valley, Ivy league math background, yet continue to use the weakest telemetry/software available.  Shame on you.   :)   

Support your local shaper

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2021, 11:10:00 AM »
Paddle in surf versus wing is not comparable. In my opinion. Neither is Molokai to Oahu.
Yep, a buddy of mine will toss the rope as soon as he's up on foil behind his boat, and will have 15, 20 minute (sometimes even longer) rides w/o ever coming down. Heck, sometimes he even rests his legs so he can go longer later... ;D
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoaVwC_HBSs/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:11:49 AM by Califoilia (formerly - SanoSlatchSup) »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal