Author Topic: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol SURF TRACKING  (Read 8057 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol SURF TRACKING
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2021, 03:56:01 PM »
But certainly not good enough for zero to 34mph in a second or two.  No way Jose'.

No one catches big waves in 2 seconds.  Another bad assumption anecdotal error.  Watch anyone paddling in to 20+ foot waves. 

I have been clocked by my Trace and iWatch at 15 to 19 mph and NOT caught the waves.  It often takes 5 to 10 seconds to get up to speed.  Unless there is an air-drop.

This was before the TRACE but I took ~ 8 seconds to make the drop which is always where the fastest part of the wave is recorded. 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 03:57:54 PM by Beasho »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol SURF TRACKING
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2021, 12:12:04 AM »
No one catches big waves in 2 seconds.
-snip-
Unless there is an air-drop.

Well, I guess that settles that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-snip-
The Apple Watch uses an interval that "varies." The definition of that is proprietary, but from what I've seen online (and anecdotally validated through using it) is that the the Apple Watch is taking a fix roughly every ten seconds then using an accelerometer to interpolate position.
-snip-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the one hand I should be happy someone even wants to pay attention to this.  On the other hand the responses are anecdotal.

I Googled  "iWatch GPS sample rate" and that's all I could find.  The thread inferred that GPS has serious limitations among wristwatches.  GPS is what it is, and it ain't much for accurate speed on the water.  That's common wisdom on the web.  GPS eats batteries, that's common wisdom too.  Hence the low sample rate... 

This is probably The Fastest longest wave ever recorded. 

That's quite a claim. 

-snip-
The only comparable waves to Mavericks (Half Moon Bay) are Jaws and Nazarre
-snip-
PS: Maybe Skeleton Bay?

There are several spots in the islands that hold giant surf.  Undoubtedly several more around the globe.           

Glad your iWatch is working for you and your pals.  Been fun, I'm out.
Support your local shaper

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal