Author Topic: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol SURF TRACKING  (Read 20815 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol SURF TRACKING
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2020, 06:58:24 PM »
Dawn patrol has a new update, and once you've installed it you need to reboot the watch. They are aware of the problem. they think they have it fixed, but my guess is we're probably an update or two away from it being all good again. That's just how bugs go.

I'm having a painful empathy moment for them. I toasted two fairly expensive absolute rotary encoders today with a stupid software error. I sat there and watched them go unstable, and then stop working. Tested the fucking things and they are toast. Then I looked at my code and saw the little fuckup that killed them. Eighty bucks for two lines of code. FUCK! Sometimes technology is just depressing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2020, 03:02:13 PM »
I am now going CRAZY not having Dawn Patrol on the iPhone.

I have it on the iWatch, BUT, the home screen is frozon on the iPhone.  I am waiting for a software upgrade before I just un-install and re-install and potentially lose all my sessions. 

For now I just take snapshots from the Watch (Push the Dial and Button simultaneously). 

I was watching a video of JB in Australia and he turned me on to another App:  "Waterspeed"

https://www.waterspeedapp.com/

This shows your tracks and speed, much like Strava, BUT has the option to download GPX data.  This could be great salvation as a result of losing functionality from my Dawn Patrol App:

Here is what a screen shot from Dawn Patrol on the iWatch looks like.  I snap this at the end of each session just to keep a record. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2021, 08:55:01 AM »
YO, updating this. Dawn Patrol still the jam for Watch apps?

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2021, 09:29:21 AM »
I am now going CRAZY not having Dawn Patrol on the iPhone.

I have it on the iWatch, BUT, the home screen is frozon on the iPhone.  I am waiting for a software upgrade before I just un-install and re-install and potentially lose all my sessions. 

For now I just take snapshots from the Watch (Push the Dial and Button simultaneously). 

I was watching a video of JB in Australia and he turned me on to another App:  "Waterspeed"

https://www.waterspeedapp.com/

This shows your tracks and speed, much like Strava, BUT has the option to download GPX data.  This could be great salvation as a result of losing functionality from my Dawn Patrol App:

Here is what a screen shot from Dawn Patrol on the iWatch looks like.  I snap this at the end of each session just to keep a record.

Good to know there is a way to export to gpx, could be fun way to add overlay to land/boat/drone video, or even a surfline cam...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2021, 07:23:04 PM »
Ohhhh Yes!!!!!

This watch is getting better and better.  Just figured out how to download all HEART rate data.

--> DOWNLOAD the CSV app. It will rip out the select Health data into CSV format.

Resting Heart rate vs. Continuous.  1X Resting data set per day where as continuous might read 5X per hour when sitting around. Then you start running or pumping the foil board and it records 10X readings per minute. 

The hourly data is getting pretty interesting.  Little things effect the rate, stress, drinking . . .

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2021, 11:29:10 PM »
My son works for Apple and gave me an Apple Watch for Christmas,  I don't like to fiddle with gadgets when surfing but I've found the watch pretty useful for watching how much exercise I get walking, biking etc.   I tried the Dawn Patrol app (free version)  out in small surf ( Knee to Waist)  I caught about two dozen waves but the rides were nothing exciting 25 to 50 yards, I had the app set to the slow wave sensitivity setting.  It only recorded one ride - and it was not the longest or fastest.  Was the surf just too small to get recorded?  I tried with it covered and not covered with my wet suit and also went hunting for some "bigger" waves with steeper drops,  tried surfing straight in, tried not trimming up and  down the wave, tried going as fast as I could pump it.  None of those rides got registered.   Does it use accelleration to determine the start of a wave?  I was surprised my heart rate goes up quite a bit for paddling out and surfing, more than I expected for easy surf.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:41:50 PM by seadart »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2021, 08:23:30 AM »
Seadart, I missed a few too. Not sure about settings.

Covered doesn’t matter. It uses a few elements to track when a wave starts. Which app did you use?

I will say what surprised me was how easy it just worked in my life. I didn’t really fuss with it much.

I’m also surprised at how little I mind the nudges about health or breathing and how effective they are at making me get up and walk or whatever. Not pressuring really but if I’m 5-10 min from hitting a goal at the end of the day I’ll get up and do it.

Same for relaxing with the “Breathe” app. I miss most reminders but I do now get in a couple extra moments of calm a day and I’ll take that.

Anyone know why he’s missing waves? Know that it might have been a one time thing too. Or if it persists you might get it checked out.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2021, 02:50:13 PM »
Keep using the app.  I’ve been close to 8 Iwatches now among 5 of my foil amigos.  The app works.  It may glitch but rarely.  I set on medium wave speed.  We share tracks after almost every session.  Here were my stats this morning. 

I was foiling inside Mavericks.  Got one “easy peasy” 15 footer.  Took off and was flying free away from danger down what looked like a ski slope. 

Waves were 10 to 15 feet and I got out with dry hair.  Keep pushing.   

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2021, 04:18:26 PM »
Tracks looked like this. 

Once you get used to seeing your own tracks you can interpret the sessions of your friends by the TURNY-NESS of the lines, the speeds, the takeoff spots. 

It's like an autopsy on the session.  No BS. If you hit 20 mph, or 22 or 25 your friends will say "Send me the tracks." 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 04:20:43 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2021, 04:26:44 PM »
Haley Fiske sent me these tracks the other day.  Wave caught at Mavericks 30+ foot face. 

This is probably The Fastest longest wave ever recorded. 

There MAY be faster waves (e.g. takeoff >> 34 mph) but then his ride went for 810 yards in 78 seconds.

This averaged 21 mph for 1/2 a mile. 

To go 34 mph you likely need a wave that is 30 feet high.  Then you need a place with 30 foot waves that will carry for 800 yards.  Not many of those in the world.  Then someone has to record the speed.  Hence the claim:  The Fastest, longest wave ever recorded.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 04:28:23 PM by Beasho »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2021, 08:59:44 PM »

Robbie Naish surfed over a kilometer at over 18mph on an SUP.  Easy to find on the Google.  It was almost 7 years ago.

Laird and many other pros have likely gone longer and faster on foil than Haley's Mavs ride.

https://youtu.be/7fWhI3xeo1U
Support your local shaper

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2021, 10:24:23 PM »

Robbie Naish surfed over a kilometer at over 18mph on an SUP.  Easy to find on the Google.  It was almost 7 years ago.

Laird and many other pros have likely gone longer and faster on foil than Haley's Mavs ride.

Really.  Show me faster than 34 mph.  Under their own power. 

Anyone can get towed in on a 50 60 or 70 foot wave.  You show me anyone with data at 34 mph under their own power. 

Haley’s wave was 2X as fast as Robbies and Robbie has never caught a wave as big as Haley.  Incomparable.  This was Haley 12 years ago.  He has dozens of photos like this.  Robbie was the first to conquer Jaws but Haley was riding waves like this under his own power at Mavericks when people were still towing in.  And no one thought this was possible.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:56:07 PM by Beasho »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2021, 07:18:10 AM »
This is probably The Fastest longest wave ever recorded.  at Half Moon Bay, on an iwatch...without a tow in...

Fixed it for you...
Support your local shaper

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2021, 08:48:59 AM »
How about this? (Not that it’s my business, which is my personality flaw lol.)

It might not matter. In the end, stats are great, but longest, fastest, first, more. To me it’s all the worst part of being male and human. (Stop me if I sound like Clay here. That’s a joke and a compliment in one btw.)

That’s an awesome wave by Haley. Even if 100 people did it. It’s an awesome ride and I’ll bet it felt great. He’s an amazing surfer.

I’m betting we could say that and get back to the topic and purpose, which is, now he can track that and see how he and his gear improve over time.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2021, 09:49:01 AM »
To go 34 mph....
...you need to be seatbelted in a car. Y'all are crazy out there.... :o ;) ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal