Author Topic: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol SURF TRACKING  (Read 20807 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol SURF TRACKING
« on: September 22, 2020, 05:59:11 PM »
I have been using the iWatch to track surf sessions for more than 2 years. 

IT IS PHENOMENAL.  I am surprised it doesn't get more chatter on the Zone or elsewhere. 

My wife bought me the apple watch for father's day 2018 version 3.  I was so against Apple products I almost sent it back.

The "Dawn Patrol" app added to the watch is stunning.  I have motivated 1 friend on the East Coast, Paul Murray, to buy one and then all my surf amigo's in California from Jeff Clark to Haley Fiske and Dave Westendorf. . . .

We now trade sessions and have learned to read how good the (foil) session was by length of ride, speed and curvy-ness aka how much we were turning. 

For example here was my hero wave this summer.  East Coast in New England.  Rhode Island on a foil and a 470 yard ride, 1 minute 10 seconds.  Unheard of. 

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:23:06 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 06:07:17 PM »
Here is an example of my surf Amigo Mark.  He goes out foiling at our local spot in California and sends this report:  71 waves.  Prone Foiling . . . . 4 hours . .  Loop-d-Loop . . . Mark is in good shape. 

Holy Schnockers!!!! 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:43:27 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 06:11:59 PM »
The TideChart view is so good I threw away my RipCurl TideWatch.  I was going to get the battery replaced and just hucked the $300 RipCurl in the trash.

TideChart costs $5.  Looks like this on the watch face.  Totally gorgeous.

PS: My iWatch 3 died after 2 1/4 years.  The upgrade to a refurbished 5.0 was mandatory to get surf tracking and tides back on the wrist.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:28:17 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Apple iWatch with Dawn Patrol SURF TRACKING
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 06:19:22 PM »
There was a recent video by Robby Naish where he wanted to track his speed with data.  So he said he went out and bought a 'cheap' apple watch.  Funny!

The video showed a speed overlay on the WingDing footage and I thought there might be a new release of Dawn Patrol or some other way to sync the speed from the watch.  There wasn't BUT while hunting I found "Surf Watch."  It is a surf Forecast App (Free) for the watch and is also pretty fantastic. 

Watch faces look like this.  And the homepage on the iPhone is even slicker!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 06:22:01 PM »
Homepage for "Surf Watch" looks like this:

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 06:26:36 PM »
Wave Metrics and Speed are available for free on the 1st wave OR all waves for $15 per year.

Otherwise you will see the Tracks and Max Speed and Distance for Every wave (for free).  Here is what a dissected wave ride shows with speed contours along the path of travel.     

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 06:34:36 PM »
Life Saver - Session Saver!

The day after my wife made me Re-Activate the cell service on my iWatch 5 replacement Ruby and I went surfing in Rhode Island.  She thinks the watch is going to help save me if things go really wrong.  I can just call for help!

We had a rental car and it was a cool morning 6:45 am with decent 4 to 6 foot surf.  I shut the door of the rental and went around back to open the trunk.  Trunk locked.  Ruby shut her door and it locked.  I had thrown the keys on the driver seat.  OMFG.  I thought these cars 1) Auto opened the doors and 2) Wouldn't lock you out.  But NOOOO!

After 15 seconds of panic I called my wife on my wrist (still a bit early at home) and said "We have a problem."  She called around and it was AAA that came 35 minutes later and opened the car.  We didn't have much time BUT there was NO ONE around when we first got locked out.  AAA was there fast enough that we managed to save the session. 

Small World Zone Story: "Eastbound" showed up 20 minutes after lockout, pulled right up behind us and talked us off the ledge.  He did have some good college application advice for Ruby.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:46:32 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 06:42:49 PM »
Keep other tricks and app recommendations coming.  I am fully converted. 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 07:01:37 PM »
Apple highlighted the Dawn Patrol app @ 16:57 in it's release video for the iWatch 6.0 last week.  Now that's a good looking face.

https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-events/september-2020/

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 08:32:26 PM »
Been on the fence but the cell service off shore on wind wing has swayed me. I’m looking at the SE since I don’t need ECG just yet. But Apple leaving that out of the low end watch is pretty lame. Choosing profits over health as one trade put it today. I hadn’t thought of that but it rings true.

For those on the fence, the previous gen are all on sale too.

Oh, and Naish was saying cheap compared to the high end GPS watches which it still is. Not sure how long those can stay high priced though, right?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 08:43:31 PM »
Just a reminder for Apple Watch. Cell service does not have to be active to call 911.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 09:12:44 PM »
That’s a great tip.

I’m more thinking I’ll have to call an Uber or a buddy to drive me back to my car when we lose wind halfway to the take out point.

I broke myself of my cell phone work habit a few years ago but I must admit that for the next year or two I’ll get more sessions in if I was at least somewhat available to my team. I recently could have extended a session had I known a call canceled so I’m willing to try again. Back in the day I was chained to my phone. Now I’m way less so and the tech is more freeing than a ball and chain.

What’s the good running/walking app? I use Runkeeper on the phone currently.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 09:50:39 PM »
Quote from: surfcowboy link=topic=36553.msg421263#msg421263 date=1600834364

What’s the good running/walking app? I use Runkeeper on the phone currently.
[/quote

Try workoutdoors, it’s brilliant.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 06:34:03 AM »
I broke myself of my cell phone work habit a few years ago but I must admit that for the next year or two I’ll get more sessions in if I was at least somewhat available to my team. I recently could have extended a session had I known a call canceled so I’m willing to try again. Back in the day I was chained to my phone. Now I’m way less so and the tech is more freeing than a ball and chain.

The connection IS one downside.  Nothing more light a jolt of lightning than a phone call or double buzz on the wrist while catching a wave.  Really annoying.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 07:37:48 AM »

The connection IS one downside.  Nothing more light a jolt of lightning than a phone call or double buzz on the wrist while catching a wave.  Really annoying.

Do not disturb mode on while working out - there is a setting for that  ;D
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal