Author Topic: Learning to foil SUP - Riding waves  (Read 5785 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to foil SUP - Riding waves
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 12:47:46 PM »
SanO, Hdip shares this view. He’s the first one to say it me and I fully agreed. Hoping I find some comfort like Snowboarding & surfing helped me like winter.

I’ll make sure and share my findings with you and if the marina in San Diego proves as good of a spot as I think it will be I’ll invite you down when I’m there for a sail. (Dude, listen to how Euro I sound already and I’ve not even unpacked this thing!) haha

WHS, I will def get behind a boat soon. Not sure if I can find wake surf boats easily around here but really, just altitude practice will be enough. Ironically when I’m home down South I have more boats to choose from. Though someday I swear I’m going to wake surf to Catalina behind a buddy’s 50’ cruiser lol. Can you imagine the leg training needed?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 12:51:33 PM »
Haha Area10! I was hoping someone from over there would call me out.

I work with a ton of UK folks and so I appreciate a good EU/UK vs US back and forth. You can imagine with my Southern accent how much crap I take from guys from the Midlands and North. I am seldom on the winning side.

By the way, Charlie (Gray) has been making me jealous of his foil conditions down South. The UK has always had good waves in places but foils have really opened up the coast for surf all over.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 07:48:14 PM »
There must be some special requirement for Euro tourists to Maui to buy a fanny pack and wear it on their stomach, it's the easiest way to identify them from a distance. Admittedly, seems like it's mostly Germans, but a scattering from other EU countries as well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 10:34:59 AM »
Yo, guys, I tried that Gong Curve/Pro Medium wing (1092cm2, 985 cm2 projected) and guess what? A 138lb guy doesn't need a 2000cm2+ wing to fly lol.

It was great in a knee/thigh high waves (rolling mushy beach break.) Lift was smooth and predictable, it flew nice and stable, and I was able to "kick out" by doing a hard turn and laying the foil over into the wave which is a cool way to safely end a ride while learning about how to turn.

Wanted to update this. I haven't been able to foil in weeks but I expect to get at least 2-3 more sessions this week here in SD. Tom! I owe you a call! If you can leave your sweet spot to smell some dog pee you can come hang with me. lol (I know you will find me using that clue lol.)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 07:02:08 PM »
OK so why do I not live down here in SD? In-laws are strongly hinting that we should move South not North.

First, double sessions take a toll, had to take a day off. Back at it this am and am wondering about mast placement on new wing. I’m running just behind the balance point now and it feels pretty controllable. But wondering about how to handle certain situations.

Right now in the mushiest waves I don’t take off. That feels like I’m far enough back. But, when I catch a waist high wave and it’s jacking up often I feel like I get to the top of the mast and bail. Should I be putting the front foot down as hard as I can, or am I right to bail and I should be turning down the line to avoid the breaking wave? These are small mushy waves, mind you so it’s not crazy to me that I might just power through.

I got some really nice rides this week and am finding that when in doubt, going for it works. I guess I need to ride with some folks and have them watch me to see what’s going on here. But I feel like I’m holding back and being over cautious.

Today when I felt the wave was too steep on take off I just gassed it and made it every time so I know at least that was just a feeling.

What’s the idea here, press the nose and I’ll outrun it? Or is it too late when you feel this?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 07:14:52 PM »
Press down the nose at all costs. You will have to bail at times. It's probably far less times than you currently think it is.

Get into the wave earlier and lower on the wave face. Don't take off like a surfboard where you're at the very tippy top to get the steepest part of the wave. Take off mid-face if possible. Lower is better.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 08:06:50 PM »
This is what I thought and yeah, at this wave size jumping off the front (or being thrown) isn't as critical.

What's the trick to getting in earlier? Just more umph behind the paddle? Truth be told, I'm probably being a bit lazy now that I can take off easier.

I'll be home this weekend hope to catch you at one of the local spots maybe Sunday.

Taking one of my employees and her daughter for their first SUP session in Ventura or Oxnard harbor Saturday. Taking me back to my first days on a board!

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 10:03:10 PM »
You gotta paddle your ass off and get your legs into it to catch waves early.  A lot does depend on how fast the wave is moving though.  On the slower moving stuff it is much much easier to get on the wave early.  I think about two things when trying to catch a wave early 1) fast cadence on the paddle, make more strokes 2) bend your knees and unweight in rhythm with each paddle stroke.  focus on driving especially your front foot up and forward with each stroke (a front footstrap helps here).

For the steep stuff, yeah, you gotta keep the nose down and you'll pick up crazy speed coming down the face.  Don't try to angle across the mid-face or high face of a steep wave, its a disaster.  Instead you need to get your speed going straight down the face and make your turn in the flats - then carry speed to get out in front of the shoulder.  If you can get ahead of the pit, you're in good shape.  I've tried a lot of ways to ride in the pit of steep/hollow wave and it just doesn't work.   Maybe a longer mast or something.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2020, 08:49:11 PM »
Solid session today at a new spot. Session 15 (I think?)  Really starting to get comfortable with flying higher. Mostly because I’ve now breached a few times and it’s not that bad. I guess I expected a harder fall. Still on short 45cm  mast for surf, today it was to beat the tide dropping but I’m liking it and some folks here are preferring them now for some conditions.

Turns are coming along, nothing earthshaking but I am starting to go down the line. And I’m feeling how pumping will work. I really feel like I need to put more weight on the front foot and pop more. That’s next for me. The 1100 cm2 wing is definitely the jam for right now too. I can control it and push it around when I need to.

Next weekend I’m headed to Carlsbad for a week. Slatch! Look out, I’m coming to SanO fo sho. If anyone has spots near Oceanside or Carlsbad PM me please.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:52:58 PM by surfcowboy »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2020, 10:54:22 PM »
Next weekend I’m headed to Carlsbad for a week. Slatch! Look out, I’m coming to SanO fo sho. If anyone has spots near Oceanside or Carlsbad PM me please.
Sounds good...just don't plan on heading up on a weekend, unless you have a stuff to bike in with.

The pre-open line was still filing in an hour+ after the open yesterday morning, and the subsequent line wrapped clear back onto hte entrance road approaching the bridge. ::):(

But hit me up with your plans when you're heading up (I'll PM my contact info), and we'll definitely get you into the mess mix!! :D

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 03:59:49 PM »
Oh no, I’ll take off a weekday am and come hang.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal