Author Topic: Foil Pump simulator  (Read 2378 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foil Pump simulator
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 08:50:16 AM »
I learned to surf in 1962 when ‘hopping’ or ‘pumping’ really wasn’t a thing that would enhance the experience.  Later when thrusters came on the scene I began seeing guys ‘pump’ through the flatter sections, like between the end of the ‘coconuts’ take off at Honolua Bay and the ‘cave’ take off.  If you could link these two, you ended up with a hellava long ride.  In all the years I rode out there, I was only able to do it three times, each time a result of somehow unweighting myself to maintain the speed to glide through but it hardly qualified as a ‘pump’.
    A few of the better surfers, pumped across sections with regularity.  One of those Honolua stand out first showed me the true potential of the ‘pump' in the late 70s as he whipped his skateboard higher and higher around the walls of an empty concrete pool in Kula.  He was strong but more than that had developed the coordination to combine that strength to achieve ‘perpetual motion’ as long as his legs would last.  But as much as I admired his prowess, my ‘risk plate’ was already full as a hang glider pilot.
    Then I saw the young surfers of the 80s and 90s become experts at what some coined 'the Huntington Hop’.  I still didn’t do it.
     Fast forward to the new millennium sport of ‘foiling’ which entails flying a foil, extending below a board around 30”.  The leverage between the board and foil is a very different dynamic from a surf board and as the pioneers of the sport quickly figured out, ‘pumping’ is a very functional move that not only lifts the board off the surface but also maintains lift when elevation begins to lower.  Even a ‘never-pumper’ like me could see that pumping was integral to progression in riding a foil.
    So as I finish my 7th decade, now stiff and overweight, I’ve decided, in my infinite wisdom, to give foiling and therefore ‘pumping' a shot.  If you put me on the dance floor, I would look like Elaine from Seinfeld.   I’m no longer a teenager with coiled springs in my legs and needed help.  Help was a long time friend from downwind stand up paddling and now very well-known foiler, Jeremy Riggs.  He placed me on a Nordic Track with both feet on one peddle.  First try, my legs were shaking but after a warm up and tips from Jeremy, the rhythm began to click.  He then added a screen with some stellar downwind conditions to focus on, which distracted from very significant leg burn.  Jeremy lets go of the handles with both hands but I needed one hand for balance.  I didn’t want to be the first injured on a Nordic Track.  Warning, your heart rate will be significantly higher than using the machine with two peddles and two handles.   My new adventure begins.  This is a rough simulation not actual pumping but will get you close enough to at least begin to pump.  You could just go out and 'do it' but doing it on a foil entails crashing during the learning process.  This gets you closer with conditioning and rhythm

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 09:14:18 AM »
Amazing. Makes me wish I had a NordicTrack elliptical (I have their treadmill and bike, haha). I'll try to try this. Also, your history of the pump or hop in surfing and skating was really informative. I have been surfing longboards for over 4 decades and always felt that shortboarders hopping and pumping was just a defect in their style. Before now I never understood the functionality though I suppose in surfing I have done some weighting and unweighting to make certain sections etc. Fascinating that you think the NordicTrack simulation will give you some benefit for foil pumping. I need to try this though I think I already exercise my pumping muscles enough in my actual wingfoiling. What I REALLY think I could use more is a simulator to entrain me properly in the right cadence, weighting and technique between front and back foot. Nonetheless, very interesting and I will give it a try when I find an elliptical. Thanks for posting this.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:18:21 AM by liv2surf »
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »
That's awesome!

Couldn't guess how young you are by watching this video.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 01:54:41 PM »
That's awesome!

Couldn't guess how young you are by watching this video.
The receding white hairline wasn't a clue?  But thanks

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 07:42:26 PM »
Merely a pup.

So you know man, I use you and Pono as touchstones when people ask how I got into foiling. I say it looked fun and then these two older guys on Maui showed me that I wasn’t too old. Forever grateful that you guys lead the way.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal