Author Topic: best way to paint over a board  (Read 2861 times)

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
best way to paint over a board
« on: September 16, 2020, 04:41:26 AM »
i want to do a new paint job on an old sup.spray paint,resin and pigment,total glass rip?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: best way to paint over a board
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 04:56:17 AM »
spray paint. Chinese boards are just paint.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 05:50:30 AM »
I second that... Car paint.  I even liked adding a little clearcoat to factory finishes that, to my eye, seemed to need help to look their best. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 07:53:43 AM »
I recently painted over a repair of a carbon Starboard.  The original carbon had paint over it.   The original owner had rail tape, but chunks of kevlar on the rails were missing on the rail.  I pulled the rail tape off, and filled in the voids and glassed over the repair.  My epoxy doesn't have uv protection, with time, the epoxy turned an ugly yellow, which stood out from the original white paint.  I prepped the paint with a fine grit sanding followed by a rubbing alcohol wipe down. 
My observations to get better results:
1) Constantly moving the can was better than stagnant.
2) farther distance was better than closer
3) light coats (multiple) was better than heavy coats
4) cover up unwanted painted areas from overspray
Happy with the results.  Don't hesitate to touch up paint a previously painted board.
As a consumer, be wary of used painted boards with repairs, especially ones hidden with touch up paint (or deck pads), as the previous repair may fail (or be insufficient) and leak again.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:26:51 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 07:56:00 AM »
Car paint can be really nasty to spray. Dries in seconds. It does give you unlimited color options, but on a board stay away from the metallic's. Trust me on that one. Montana Paints work good as well. They are rattlers be they give you 3 or 4 spray tip options that lay it on even. 2K clear gloss to finish.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Keys Sup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 04:51:05 PM »
Most PPG shops can match your color and put it in a spray can. Good for one time as it hardens when activated. After the investment in hardener and reducer I just get them to do a color match and get half a pint for touch up work. Amazing how many shades of white there are.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal