Author Topic: Lemonade out of Lemons  (Read 2868 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Lemonade out of Lemons
« on: September 13, 2020, 08:52:01 PM »
I woke up this morning feeling energized. Yes, the smoke outside makes doing anything in the great outdoors a life-threatening adventure before you reach your truck. But I decided that I should bring all my electronics experiments from the shop back to the house. Only this time I'm not taking over the dining room table temporaily--I'm making a permanent location in my office. Just doing the setup for some of this shit is a two-day affair, so the dining room table doesn't cut it.

My office has slowly become cluttered with crap, so this was sort of a big deal. fortunately for me, my charming wife, who is like Marie Kondo with a whip agreed to help me. I'm not taking pictures of the bags and boxes of pointless crap we hauled out of the office. Just the lovely results. My work table for the electronics will go right in front of the somewhat weird table in front of the doors to the back yard, but my office now looks cooler and more organized than it has in the last ten years. It took all day. There was a shocking amount of crap in there. All my SUP racing trophies and related stuff will go to the shop, which will take another day to organize. So this is more or less purely motorsports stuff. But as usual, Diane did an amazing job arranging all this stuff after she shoed me out and took over.

Now if I can just get her to help me do the same thing at my shop. I'm pretty sure drugs would be required.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:07:06 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Lemonade out of Lemons
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 09:25:33 PM »
13 bags of books to donate, though I'm not sure who would want all those books on Python, CSS, PHP and SQL. It's hard to believe how much crap can come out of a 10 by 12 room.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »
13 bags of books to donate, though I'm not sure who would want all those books on Python, CSS, PHP and SQL. It's hard to believe how much crap can come out of a 10 by 12 room.
My son. He has a Python book laying next to his bed. It's the only book I've ever seen him read in bed:) He'll be off to college next year. Programming engineering and his Idol is Elon... of course.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 03:21:06 PM »
Most of the 13 bags are tech stuff--html, hacking wordpress, SQL server and all the various stacks, etc, etc. the only problem is that most of the stuff I'm ditching is from about 2015 or earlier when I was still buying dead tree books, so most of it is somewhat obsolete--just like me. I got on Github today to do some stuff and discovered I either don't remember my way around or things have changed. Weird.

I'd send you a care package for your kid, but it would be ridiculously heavy and mostly old. Hmm, that sounds like me again. So it goes.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 03:29:40 PM »
Bill, if you could Python, can I hire you? Bonus if you know Django and React.

TallDude...your son is on the right path.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 09:19:21 PM »
I just use Python for quick and dirty tools as a hack. I've used Flask and django, not react. No one in their right mind would hire me to write code for them. I create un-maintainable messes. Even I can't usually figure out WTF I was doing. Case in point, I wrote this Arduino code (C++, basically) a few months ago to make ESP32 controllers for the lights in my motorhome project. They can be controlled from a touch screen raspberry pi on the dashboard via an MQQT server, any phone logging into the local network via a web page based on Node Red, from touch pads, or local switches. I set this stuff aside a few months ago to do other stuff, and now I want to modify the way the touch pads work, and I can't figure what in the living fuck I did here. It's simple as bricks, but it's a mess. That's what happens when you dabble in code for 50 years and never learn good habits. I just hack stuff together, get it to work somehow, and move on.

I almost wrote this stuff in Python--thank god I didn't. That would have been even uglier.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 09:30:21 PM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 08:54:16 AM »
This is working out really well, the key was reducing clutter before I started. The added workspace adds a cluttered feeling, but the amount of crap actually in the room is hugely reduced. I need to apply the same process to my shop. It's very easy to focus now, and I have what I need to do the work I want to do, not a bunch of crap everywhere.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 06:28:32 PM »
Remember when I posted the stuff above about de-cluttering my office. Apparently my inner geek just can't tolerate all that empty space. Actually the main thing going on here is I decided I'd rather work on electronics projects in my home instead of at my shop. Oh well, at least I can find stuff. It's really working out well. I'm very productive in this space.

Our dog Zack likes the new layout. He comes in and crawls into his bed under the desk and just hangs out. He doesn't like that wire across his bed though. I have to crawl under there and route that better.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 06:31:15 PM by PonoBill »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 10:00:49 PM »
That office chair sucks though. I just got a new Tempur-Pedic office chair from Staples. Sat in at least 50 chairs and kept coming back to this one. I'm digg'in it. Best office chair I've ever had. https://www.staples.com/Temperpedic-TP-6400/product_2724237
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 03:17:24 AM »
Our dog Zack likes the new layout. He comes in and crawls into his bed under the desk and just hangs out. He doesn't like that wire across his bed though. I have to crawl under there and route that better.

Put the Nespresso machine down there with Zack.  He'll love that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 07:07:34 AM »
It's actually a great chair. And it goes with the desk. You'd like the workmanship, it's a one of a kind desk and chair made by Anthony Kahn named the Samurai Desk. http://anthonykahn.com/our-furniture.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal