Author Topic: Stance question  (Read 2474 times)

Transplant

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stance question
« on: September 11, 2020, 02:44:59 PM »
So... I have a Lift Efoil- super fun, especially in surf with the folding prop.
I am trying to get into regular surf SUP foiling. Tricky. :-)

But - Lift explicitly says to offset feet from the center line for better control. (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlxX_3gsQQ0&list=PLVsytymeTH_kdiUAd_uwUY32HZdSYwfRN&index=6  - See at 2:18.)

I hear that on an unpowered foil this is a bad idea?
I paddle in and stand up surf, too, and have my feet on the center line for them, but it does seem to have more lateral control on a lift foil when offset - and I would have thought anything where I am that elevated on the mast would act the same...

So is the correct stance on the center line, always?

Advice (and reasons) appreciated!
Thanks

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stance question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 03:10:19 PM »
I think most people end up cheating with their front foot slightly offset. Either way works. Here's an instagram with a bunch of footage where you can go through and see people's foot positions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEvjbsqjZPH/

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 03:56:37 PM »
Strapless requires offset

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 05:15:17 PM »
Strapless requires offset

Dwight, How so? I ride strapless and the offset is not required.

Transplant, This brings up a good discussion.

Watching folks with feet off center makes the pump kind of wobble as each foot applies pressure on the opposite side. This has to be inefficient(IMO). The foil is wobbling underwater with the board, not as smooth and I am guessing requires more effort **and maybe more drag***(pono says smart things here)

Anyway, I am ready to hear what everyone else thinks. I would guess that staggering your feet is a bad habit and may only really be applicable to winging.

When I put my feet, or one foot off center the pumps are ugly and messy, I send more time correcting the glide than focusing on flying.

red

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 08:00:24 PM »
the position of your feet is not the same as the position of your weight. I've watched Junya McGurn foiling big breaking waves with his feet in a classic surfing position and wonder how the hell he's doing that without just turning out of control until I realize his weight is on his toes on his back foot--you can see daylight under his heel. his weight is on the spine of the board, the offset is so he can brace himself, and change where the weight is.

I've also realized that when I'm winging downwind that I tend to offset my back foot into more of a surf stance (I wing strapless, surf with a front strap). Again, 90 percent of the time I'm on the ball of my foot--right back where I am for normal winging. The offset is so I can brace when the wing winds up fully in front of me--if I don't it yanks me off the board to one side or the other.

Bottom line, your weight needs to be centered most of the time or the foil reacts to it, but there's more than one way to skin that cat. I think DW means is that if you aren't bolted to the board with straps you need to use foot position to anchor yourself, but your weight still needs to be down the middle most of the time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 11:45:41 AM »
For me knowing why something is recommended or required is more important.

With efoil is the motor thrust and overall weight necessitating a different stance?  Something else?

Lighter weight folks with small feet riding wide wings strapless staggered makes sense to me.  Similar solution/problem of turning a wide sup, need more leverage to get it to roll over.

Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 03:46:28 PM »
I suspect everyone riding strapless has felt that funny little bit of roll instability when you straighten up after a shallow turn. No? Probably being a little staggered helps with that the same way that it does going downwind, where you need to balance on the board with minimal help from the wing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 04:46:11 PM »

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 07:09:37 PM »
its interesting you mentioned Junyas strap placement...i got one of his  old boards last year and i couldn't ride it AT ALL...they waaaaay too staggered...couldnt even paddle it...had to take um.off...so THATS how he does it!...

derek hamma if the same way....way staggered straps...mine are right on the centerline though....maybe i should try staggered straps next....

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 07:13:48 PM by steamroller »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal