Author Topic: Video: SUP surf Foot placement for Turns  (Read 4820 times)

supthecreek

Video: SUP surf Foot placement for Turns
« on: September 10, 2020, 06:26:05 PM »
This video focuses on foot placement when SUP surfing... particularly useful on bigger boards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-qB8_uZLuY&t=21s

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Video: SUP surf Foot placement for Turns
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 06:53:39 PM »
Nice foot work. Love the GoPro view for it.

Thanks for sharing.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 07:04:39 PM »
Wow, you're quite nimble! And here I am like a statue afraid to even attempt a buoy turn...lol

SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 12:29:30 AM »
Very nice.  This is obviously the proper use of the nose mount, instruction.
Very chill vid and as you so clearly show, gots to keep them feets movin.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 04:29:26 PM »
I don't have to move my feet that much because I wear a size 14 shoe ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 09:25:52 PM »
Front foot on center is the most important tip in the video. All too often, I see people with their front foot way off center which makes them lean forward, hunched over to compensate.

Having your front foot on center allows you to stand up straight. Bend the knees as you enter a turn and straighten up as you leave the turn, but keep your upper body upright. Move your hips forward or backward as needed. Don't lean forward.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 07:59:05 AM »
This video focuses on foot placement when SUP surfing... particularly useful on bigger boards

I agree with Badger that centering the front foot is important for a complete beginner, BUT as you progress into actually turning, the your movement of your back foot is what I find very helpful. Using the inside ail is key to putting the board on its rail, and helping it to turn on the wave. And it isn't something super natural. You have to practice it.

Why on bigger boards?  I guess on the bigger boards you have to move the back foot more? Just did some looking at the pros, and I guess the don't have to move their back foot as much. They just get the back foot right on the arch pad in the back and use their body weight. While on the wider boards, one must move the foot to get the board to turn.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »
Putting the back foot on rail can definitely help you turn, especially on bigger boards. You can move the back foot all you want but there is no benefit from moving the front foot away from center. The front foot should always remain near the centerline of the board while on the wave.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 10:58:01 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 03:01:17 PM »
Actually, I frequently move my front foot towards the rail as well.
When I really want to carve hard, both feet will move closer to the rail.... particularly when going backside.
If I walk forward of the pad I always move both feet near the inside rail.... it gives me more control of the rail.
For sure, the front foot is centered much of the time, but don't be afraid to move that to the rail as well. (picture)

I agree with Badger that centering the front foot is important for a complete beginner, BUT as you progress into actually turning, the your movement of your back foot is what I find very helpful. Using the inside ail is key to putting the board on its rail, and helping it to turn on the wave. And it isn't something super natural. You have to practice it.

Why on bigger boards?  I guess on the bigger boards you have to move the back foot more? Just did some looking at the pros, and I guess the don't have to move their back foot as much. They just get the back foot right on the arch pad in the back and use their body weight. While on the wider boards, one must move the foot to get the board to turn.

Exactly!

Pros and very light SUPsters can ride shorter boards.
That allows them to have their:
Back foot on the tail pad (steering wheel)
Front foot on the handle (gas peddle)
Less distance between the Kick Pad and handle is a great advantage
Smaller boards generally have narrower tails... and that allows them to plant their foot on the stomper and stay there.

Being a big unit, my boards are generally longer and wider, so I have to move a lot more. Front, back, side to side.
It is natural for me, coming from the 60's longboard era, where walking was the name of the game!
My feet move so many times on a wave that it's hard to count.  :)

Here's a video of a guy ripping on a 7'4 x 25 GenRation Wedge
His feet never have to move!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=304&v=kfpzlzsfmqc&feature=emb_logo

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 08:03:01 AM »
Thats funny, I just noticed the other day that I was moving my front foot a bit inside as well on a wave that I was running along on.

I am on a 8'10" Sunova Steeze, and clock in at 88kg on a 125ltr board, so a 1.4 ratio without my winter rubber, so maybe a similar ratio than you on your board.
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 11:07:27 AM »
Yes, hopping your front foot over to the rail for a few seconds can be useful but it would not make sense to use that as your normal surf stance.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:11:19 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 08:19:56 PM »
Yes, hopping your front foot over to the rail for a few seconds can be useful but it would not make sense to use that as your normal surf stance.

but there is no benefit from moving the front foot away from center. The front foot should always remain near the centerline of the board while on the wave.

These are both very strong statements, that I respectfully disagree with.

I understand your point on the front foot being centered fairly often when going frontside... 

But front foot near the rail makes perfect sense, when going backside.
Note:
In the video above I was riding a 29" wide board, so my front foot wasn't moving as much as it does on my wider boards.

I am a fairly strong surfer on my backhand exactly because my front foot is almost always left of center, with my heel closer to the rail.
My back foot still moves rail to rail, but more often than not, my front heel remains near the rail. (pic #2)

I have the advantage of 6 years of video to review, when considering my response, and my front heel is railside to provide powerful turns and solid rail control. (pic #1)
When noseriding backside, both heels are on the inside rail.

While my frontside  "normal surf stance" may have front foot centered, it doesn't last long because my feet are almost constantly moving.

Some SUPster ride very small boards and their feet are planted... one on kicker and one on handle
But there are a lot more folks riding bigger boards that require more movement toward the rail, to maximize performance.

Here's a :21 sec video from 2014 (still using the nose cam)
It clearly shows my front foot on the rail for the entire ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AFL8x83i2E

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 08:34:08 PM »
Nice Jah reggae footwork, Creek. Back foot on inside rail? Yea, man! Especially with quad fins!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 02:04:52 AM »
Different styles I suppose. I always keep my front foot centered and maybe use a little more body english to produce the same or similar effect as moving the front foot over.

One thing I'm positive is counter to turning performance is having the feet on opposite sides of the centerline.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:15:46 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 04:40:18 AM »

What's normal surf stance?  Going straight?  Who wants to do that?

Different styles I suppose. I always keep my front foot centered and maybe use a little more body english to produce the same or similar effect as moving the front foot over.

Try a backside bottom turn without moving your front foot to the inside rail.  Ain't gonna happen.

One thing I'm positive is counter to turning performance is having the feet on opposite sides of the centerline.

No kidding.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal