Author Topic: Article of wing foiling- Sailing World Magazine  (Read 2470 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Article of wing foiling- Sailing World Magazine
« on: September 10, 2020, 07:05:53 AM »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Article of wing foiling- Sailing World Magazine
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 08:14:20 AM »
Nice article.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 08:43:19 AM »
I enjoyed the article as well.  I've chatted with Jo Aleh from time to time regarding winging.  She's awesome!

I like the sailing aspect of the article. That's one of the things that I love about winging. I was thinking it really is the most compact efficient sailing setup out there. I had been wanting to learn to sail before winging came around and when it did, i was able to teach myself and foil at the same time.  Win! I knew absolutely zero about point of sail etc. With a surfers background, I knew swell periods, angles, storms, wind directions, etc, but never applied any of that towards wind powered sailing. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 08:58:06 AM »
The article kind of grossly understates the price of gear, though compared with the cost of doing conventional sailing it's absurdly cheap. I compare everything to the cost of motorsports racing, which makes almost any other sport feel like it's free, but wing foiling is a lot more expensive than surfing, especially once you get hooked. I don't want to add up what I've spent so far, and I'm a miserly piker compared to some folks. I would never name names, though some folks whose names rhyme with schmadmin and schman seem to have a trunkload of new stuff every time I see them, and I see them pretty much every day there is wind in Hood River, which is hardly rare. They do flip the old stuff rapidly, which is a skill I've never mastered, but I suspect that has more to do with unsightly clutter than cost recovery.

"Unsightly Clutter" is actually my middle name. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:06:04 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 12:00:56 AM »
Neat article. In our area, as new adopters and converts to the sport, wing foiling has really brought together previously disconnected communities of kiter foilers, wind foilers, non foilers and non-wind sports people. It is very heartening.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 05:19:34 AM »
Neat article. In our area, as new adopters and converts to the sport, wing foiling has really brought together previously disconnected communities of kiter foilers, wind foilers, non foilers and non-wind sports people. It is very heartening.

That is the best part.  It has that early snowboarding vibe.  No cool yet. 

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 11:16:46 AM »

That is the best part.  It has that early snowboarding vibe.  No cool yet.

Yes, I've noticed and love this too!

Winging has prone/kite surfers on bigger boards and SUP/windsurfers on smaller boards.  Seems like the wing unifies us and we are all in the same stoked tribe.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 01:39:57 PM »
Last night I got a text from a local windsurfer I had been chatting winging with.

Meet at '****'s' tomorrow morning. Its ON.  You got the invite.'

He sent me a the address to his friends place and this guy has a house at the end of an isthmus jutting into the southern part of the Chesapeake Bay with amazing exposure to the north and NE winds that come down.  Private beaches facing two directions.  Just a 30 minute drive from my house and world class conditions.  Had a great session chasing swells.  I was 'the first winger' at the spot.  There were like 10 windsurfers there by the time I left mid-day.  All super nice. 

TLDR: Word of advice for the surfer and SUPers that are moving into this sport; look up your local windsurf clubs etc. and introduce yourself.  You might get the hookup like i did! 

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 02:06:31 PM »
Similar situation in Central Florida .  When Covid closed all public access spots around me, I was desperate and did some kite surfing research and came up with VALKARIA (A.K.A. AJ'S SLICK) which is a privately owned beach and kite launch on the Indian River.
The couple who own it are so cool, and only ask that you sign a waiver releasing them from any responsibility which I gladly did.
I was just learning to wing foil and pretty raw, but the kiters were really cool and
 Very interested in wing foiling and checking out my gear.  With the exception of a few shallow sandbars where I did a few face plants, it was a great spot to wing foil and learn.

When public launches finally reopened , the same couple showed up at my usual place in Wabasso on the river and it was their first time there,  so I returned the favor and told them all about the set up, best wind direction and what to look out for etc. 
I’ve winged with quite a few kiters now and get nothing but smiles...didn’t see that as often windsurfing. 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 02:53:43 PM »
Yes, the goodwill, camaraderie and help I have received from and shared with windsurfers since I started winging is so much greater than when I was a kiter for 15 years. It is really fun. It is one good think that has come out of 2020.  (That, and my 6.5 month old grandson - I know off topic). I think some or many of these windsurfers are respect, are intrigued by and are considering winging for themselves. At our spot in SF Bay area there are new wingers every day.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 09:05:17 PM »
The questions I got today as I trudged the beach in San Diego’s Mission Bay lead me to the same conclusion. I got no response like this really for SUP.

But then I also wasn’t dragging two wings through the shallows then either.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal