Author Topic: Goddam Sup Foiling is fun  (Read 10019 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Goddam Sup Foiling is fun
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2021, 12:40:17 PM »
Oh, and fuck you foil designers that put sharp wingtips on these sexy foils.  I paid good money for the foil without realizing it is probably going to cost me almost as much over its life in repairing and replacing westuits.  Half the time I go out I'm putting a cut into the wetsuit.  And that's after taking a sanding block to take the super sharp edges down.  Guess I'll take the block to them again.

I was going to make a snarky comment about "Oh so you want to go fast . . . . well then get used to the sharp foils." 

Then I thought about our marine mammal friends.  The FASTEST we are going on foils, in surf, is 25 mph.  I dare anyone to show me a 30 mph reading in the surf.  Dolphins can move way faster than this with huge underwater bodies and their fins are NOT sharp.

Someone: FIGURE IT OUT.

PS: I have drawn blood on both feet and other parts of my body from the foil so I am no stranger to the pain and bloodletting.  Here was a recent blow from the tail fin in the surf.  This was from the leading edge through my wetsuit and I think my watchband too.  Good thing it was sideways.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 12:48:16 PM by Beasho »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2021, 01:28:39 PM »
Skyrama hit 31mph in the surf. New armstrong 1125. It was in a story  think, maybe it's still on his page.

Project cedrus uses a softer material for the front and rear of the mast. I hope to get that mast in the water today or tomorrow.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2021, 09:40:40 AM »
I've never once been hit by the leading or trailing edge of the mast.  I love what Cedrus is doing, but I think softness there is misguided.  Much more concerned about the main wingtips and tailtips.  leading and trailing edges of the foils also haven't been an issue for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal