Author Topic: Goddam Sup Foiling is fun  (Read 10021 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Goddam Sup Foiling is fun
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 01:01:13 PM »
I guess we're all jonesing for online foil content during that time when we can't go to the beach and we're supposed to be working. 
. . .  So then the guy who seemed to own the lineup for the last several years sees a good set wave and tells me:  "Let's go".  I'm like, no you go ahead - and he says "no I want to see what that thing can do."

I am on the East Coast Connecticut and Rhode Island.  It is FLAT, FLAT, FLAT with regular forecasts of 0.5 - 1.0 ft.  The forecast for tomorrow is JUMPING 2 to 3 feet. GREEN.

So I am the guy from California that surfs 100+ sessions a year at Pillar Point in Half Moon Bay.  I regularly show up with Ruby this summer and we are totally alone surfing 2 to 3 foot waves.  On one particularly small day one of the locals asks "How was it?"  "1 to 2 feet I respond."  He looks at our rental car with Illinois plates, we are in Rhode Island, and says "You drive all the way from Illinois for these crappy 1 to 2 foot waves."  I just laughed.   

On a slightly bigger day I didn't have to film or edit.  A doctor named Ed shot this video and sent it to me.  Classic summertime New England foiling and still SUPER fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUnGSm995U0
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:03:30 PM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 01:33:34 PM »
Yep, SUP foiling is SUPer fun! Even more fun is taking a really flexible carbon mast out in over head stuff, and trying to turn it out of trouble when need be...YEEF'NHAW!! (Not recommended while wearing clean board shorts...if you want them to be clean in the end) :o :P

Yeah, anything bigger than waist high and you need gear that does EXACTLY what you want it to. I generally avoid that and stick with the re-form junk.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 02:42:55 PM »
I got a 3 for 1 this morning on SUPfoil!  The middle wave was barely just a momentary hop onto a swell to rest my legs, but I'm going to count it.

Towards the end of my session, the tide was coming up and there was a huge backwashing coming off the rocks.  The rocks are at an angle to the swell so the backwash is coming back at even more of an angle to the incoming swell.  It was really fun to try and pull off the back of the wave and grab a bit of the backwash on the way back out.  That's a first for me. 

On the negative side, I cracked another paddle blade by hitting the foil while pumping.  Dammit, there goes another couple hundred $$.  I now have a renewed desire to figure out how to tool up a super durable paddle blade construction.  Hmm, let's see, do I need another project? 

More to the point of the thread - for the last hour while the waves stopped breaking there was about 50 other people in the water sitting around on their longboards and wavestorms while I continuously rode non-breaking swell.  Suckers!  SUPfoiling is so fun.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 05:55:01 PM »
Jon, I am 6 foot tall, My paddle is ~73 inches and I am running the long Gen 1 Gofoil mast.
I do not think I can hit my foil if I tried. Foil is GL210

What are your specs?

-red

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 06:40:30 PM »
I’ve gone back to +6”
I’m 6’1” and on the long Tuttle mast. I think It happens when I’ve got my knees bent and if the board gets a little angled sideways which bring the foil wing up and out to where I am paddling

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2020, 11:53:16 AM »
Another super fun morning.   After a few good waves in one spot, I paddled over to another peak and sat for a while waiting for the right combination of clear path and a set wave.  Pulled into a really nice one and all of a sudden - a swimmer in the water - OH! its a guy with a camera and fins.  Got a nice aggressive top turn in right in front of him and continued down the line.  I felt like a bit of a hero for sure.  I wasn't able to catch his insta but maybe I can find it and post up a pic.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2020, 11:40:21 PM »

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2020, 01:12:28 PM »
What an awesome shot! 

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2020, 02:45:36 PM »
Got ahold of the clip
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGrRUhCDWUf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Wow, jondrums, that guys handle is almost the same as yours only he added "urf" to the end.! small world.
Jondrumsurf looks like he is having fun on his 10 foot run. I cant wait to meet red_txurf out there in the line.. all smiley and happy go turny.. oh wait, that would require me going to a line anywhere. nah.

I like that board I need to upgrade mine.
-red

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 04:40:50 AM »
Got ahold of the clip
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGrRUhCDWUf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

That's a great hero shot jondrums. Maybe you'll be lucky and that guy will swim by on your maiden flight with your newly designed board  :)
in progress...

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2021, 11:18:14 AM »
I'm reinvigorated (again) from a super fun session this morning.  This is the very first time I've ever gone in a few minutes early because I was exhausted.  Literally grabbing a several hundred yard long wave within a minute of paddling back out into place.   Barely anyone else out, and those that were couldn't really catch much.  I could see people pulling into the parking lot and drive right back out without even stopping to take a look.  Yup, it was fairly small and barely breaking but that's all it takes to zip high performance zigs and zags and come off the water with a smile.  Goddamn SUP foiling is fun.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2021, 03:21:01 PM »
I'm reinvigorated (again) from a super fun session this morning.  This is the very first time I've ever gone in a few minutes early because I was exhausted.  Literally grabbing a several hundred yard long wave within a minute of paddling back out into place.   Barely anyone else out, and those that were couldn't really catch much.  I could see people pulling into the parking lot and drive right back out without even stopping to take a look.  Yup, it was fairly small and barely breaking but that's all it takes to zip high performance zigs and zags and come off the water with a smile.  Goddamn SUP foiling is fun.

"Damn it feels good to be a gangster"  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIoPlLEXM2Y

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2021, 09:55:26 AM »
well, I might as well use this thread as my own personal blog whenever I have a great session.

Cold stiff onshore breeze, short period, blown out high tide beach break.  What a crappy day.  I pulled into the lot at first light, 6:15a.  Every deep rooted instinct from years of surfing told me to get back in the car and go back to bed.  I watched as at least three cars pulled in and drive right back out to go home.  It's not like anywhere else was going to be good with an onshore breeze.  I put on the cold still damp wetsuit and decided to put on gloves too.

Once I'm on the water and spun for the first set wave, I knew I made the right call.  How fun is it riding crappy gutless wind bumps, linking peaks down the beach?!?  I had a great session pretty much all by myself at a break that normally would have a few hundred people out on a typical morning.  Goddamn - SUP foiling is fun. 

I was riding the NL190 at 205lbs and should have gone smaller and faster with the Takuma 1210 that I have been loving every time I put it on.  But I still can't get myself to trust that such a small foil will be fun in slow gutless surf.  I've been riding big foils for too long and I need to readjust my gear instincts.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2021, 09:59:56 AM »
Oh, and fuck you foil designers that put sharp wingtips on these sexy foils.  I paid good money for the foil without realizing it is probably going to cost me almost as much over its life in repairing and replacing westuits.  Half the time I go out I'm putting a cut into the wetsuit.  And that's after taking a sanding block to take the super sharp edges down.  Guess I'll take the block to them again.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2021, 10:07:54 AM »
Yeah, that sander came out after I put the wing tip of my Takuma 1210 through my foot. Just barely avoided stitches.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal