Author Topic: Goddam Sup Foiling is fun  (Read 10060 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Goddam Sup Foiling is fun
« on: September 09, 2020, 10:08:36 AM »
Wow, it is so incredibly fun to be high performance wave riding when everyone else is bobbing around complaining about how crappy it is.  Literally, paddle out, spin, ride, repeat.   Do I have anything constructive to say that is worth creating a new topic?  No - classic shit-post.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Goddam Sup Foiling is fun
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 10:18:16 AM »
As someone who checks this and the 3 other foil forums I know about every hour, I appreciate your effort good sir.

Now someone go find me the measurements of a Takuma Kujira foil so I can see if it's the smaller Axis 900 I'm thinking it is and plop down my deposit. If I sell my Axis 900 and 760 that'll just about cover the $1600 to get me back to a full carbon setup!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 10:20:05 AM »
is worth creating a new topic?

It might. Especially if you could show off your new sexy foil board ;)
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 10:36:28 AM »
It's actually a worthwhile thing to post, especially since surf foiling at the beginner/intermediate level looks lame. I was shocked to find out how much fun it is. I started doing it because I thought it might be the door to downwind foiling, which it may well be if I get light enough, or magically less clumsy, or simply learn to pump better. But I had little interest in doing it because it looked like it would be boring just mowing back and forth on weenie waves. It's not.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 11:15:49 AM »
I guess we're all jonesing for online foil content during that time when we can't go to the beach and we're supposed to be working. 

The other day I paddled out to a shark's cove in Santa Cruz, which has got to be the worst possible place to go foiling due to kelp in the take-off zone and grass on the reef where the wave breaks.  Not only that it was absolutely terrible to get to with a foil - negotiating between kelp patches and eel-grass on a long paddle approach from the put-in beach.    I don't know why I was bothering except everywhere else was either mobbed because of the beach shut-downs and air quality issues.  I had pretty much resigned myself to sitting out there and enjoying just being on the water and the conversation.  So then the guy who seemed to own the lineup for the last several years sees a good set wave and tells me:  "Let's go".  I'm like, no you go ahead - and he says "no I want to see what that thing can do."  So, fuck it, I'm going. 

Taking off on the wave with a foil was going to be a slalom course and most of the time results in getting the foil tangled.  Once you actually get the wave, you've got to immediately get as high in the water as possible to get over the eel-grass patches, and slalom around and between the kelp stalks.  Luckily I knew this from surfing there all those years. 

So I turn and go right next to him.   I miraculously make the wave as he watches me pump up high and put on the jets to get on top of the wave above the grass and several snap turns to avoid the kelp.  I got a little ways down the wave before the foil caught something and face-planted.  I probably sat out at the peak for another half an hour before trying another few and eventually having a really nice session playing pinball around the obstacles as the tide came up. 

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 11:18:41 AM »
It might. Especially if you could show off your new sexy foil board ;)

I will as soon as I have something to show.  Still waiting on the blank to get on the router

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 12:14:08 PM »
Wow, it is so incredibly fun to be high performance wave riding when everyone else is bobbing around complaining about how crappy it is.  Literally, paddle out, spin, ride, repeat.   Do I have anything constructive to say that is worth creating a new topic?  No - classic shit-post.

Agreed jondrums. In the beginning I was so eager to share the stoke with my surfing buddies. I quickly grew tired of that and have given up. I dont care what they do anymore. I have NO desire to sit in the lineup or even anywhere close to it. The drama around the lineup is the worst part about surfing and to me it goes against the whole sport. I have a bunch of buddies that just want to catch the best waves and the biggest drops. They talk about the water temperature.

I WANT TO TALK ABOUT FOILING!!!!  The only place I can is here and seabreaze..and my brother who got me into all of this.  No my wife wont hear it..

PS have you all seen the CRAZY WING from the dockstart video "horuemovie" in instagrunt posted????

https://www.instagram.com/horuemovie/?hl=en         MOST RECENT
I want to talk about that.

Thanks for keeping it going jondrums...

-red

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 02:59:42 PM »
Fine I admit it. I check this forum probably 5 times an hour! I have a problem, so sue me!

Hey red_tx check out the surfermag forums if you haven't. The foil forum there is decent. (Fine it's mostly me posting) but some other people are on there too.

https://forum.surfer.com/index.php?forums/foil-surfing.9/

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 08:38:52 PM »
Fully foil brained here and have really only started. Yes, foil content is low. I have no desire to be famous or attract attention but I think we all have to commit to better video capture.

I’m headed out for a week in San Diego. Hoping to find a foil surf spot that works for me (I think I have one or two to try) but the best part is staying on a boat. In the afternoon I can take a late lunch break and step off the dock and wing foil most days.

As to your wife, I’m trying to get my water-phobic wife to learn to drive a ski so we can rent at the marina and she can tow me. (She loves quads and jet skis are really just quads on water, right? Right?) Foil brain.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 08:55:01 PM »
I would advise against that plan cowboy!  driving a jetski as a tow-boat is actually quite difficult.  They aren't made to go slow and speed control is actually quite difficult.  Much better to have someone driving who knows a little bit about foiling enough to feel what is too fast or too slow.  Trust me, it is super duper scary when the driver starts going too fast and you're having to decide whether to drop the line or hang on until they slow down.  Nightmare session with someone who is otherwise a great waterski and passable wakeboarding driver but knew nothing about foiling. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 10:11:46 PM »
Never fear. She will never call my bluff. But as a long time water skier I agree nothing is worse than a crappy driver.

Dave B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 05:07:40 AM »
Lots of excitement out there for the Takuma Kujira. Looks like if you want to compare it to the axis 900 you’ll have to shoot for the med size one  the 1220. I have the LOL 1300,1600 and 1900 and love them! Can’t wait for the new ones -already set w the full carbon set up so pretty frothed as well!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 08:47:31 AM »
McRae and Fiona Wylde pumped their way at high speed into the event center a few days ago after a seriously great SUP foil downwinder--they both had Takuma wings. The wings looked odd and not super high-performance to me, but they loved them. The stabilizer looked to be on an extreme angle to me, and I had my angle gauge with me, so I measured McRae's. The looks were deceiving, it was 2.8 degrees. It's a pretty wild looking wing. McRae's has the wing tiplets pointing up toward the board, which seems strange, but he said the wing recovers in a breach and he rarely even feels it though he can hear it.

Fiona's tiplets point downward through the wings looked very similar. I didn't talk to Fiona as much about the performance, she was busy with other people. I had also had an amazing session in the crazy wind with my 3.5 wing and 860 foil, and was so buzzed with adrenalin that my teeth were chattering.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

foiled again

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 09:15:46 AM »
The other day I paddled out to a shark's cove in Santa Cruz, which has got to be the worst possible place to go foiling due to kelp in the take-off zone and grass on the reef where the wave breaks.  Not only that it was absolutely terrible to get to with a foil - negotiating between kelp patches and eel-grass............

Especially active year for kelp in 2020. Should die off in Fall and get washed away so Winter and Spring could be the time for decent foiling.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 10:02:39 AM »
Yep, SUP foiling is SUPer fun! Even more fun is taking a really flexible carbon mast out in over head stuff, and trying to turn it out of trouble when need be...YEEF'NHAW!! (Not recommended while wearing clean board shorts...if you want them to be clean in the end) :o :P
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal