Author Topic: Did a header on the sand bar and survived...  (Read 2973 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Did a header on the sand bar and survived...
« on: September 08, 2020, 09:19:51 AM »
My bad. I picked the wrong day to surf, but we finally got some waves. Yes it was Labor day weekend. Yes is was crazy crowded. Yes I was taking more risks than usually. On a bigger outside set wave that I dropped in on, it wasn't about surfing the wave or making a section, it was about trying not to run over people. A lot of people on Wavestorms in over their heads. As soon as they realized that I was actually surfing the wave and not going straight like everyone else out there, you see their eye balls grow. I stayed high on the face over the first two, then dropped into a long drawn-out bottom turn to split two more people bottom turn around two more. Back up the face and cleared the last one......I thought!

By this time I'm nearing the sand bar close-out where I usually kick out at the last moment. What I didn't realize until the last moment was a bunch of little kids on boogie boards right there. I couldn't kick out without hitting them because I had too much speed. So I pointed my board to the shore away from them, leaned back and got suck over the falls onto the sand bar. The last thing I saw was my fins right in front of my face. I covered my face, did a quick rinse cycle and then SLAM! Heard the vertebrae crackle as head snapped back. I came up a little dazed, with sand in my mouth and everywhere else. I was amazed I was still conscious. I rolled my neck around and there wasn't any immediate pain, but I had taken some Advil just before I went out. I paddled back out cautiously and told a friend of mine what happened just in case I pass out.   

This morning I'm feeling a little whiplash, and when I brushed my hair I could feel the impact spot. Probably an abrasion. I drove my car this morning and it's hard to look over my shoulder. Could have been much worse. There are even better waves this morning with almost no one out. Should have waited one day...... I'll be out there tomorrow, with an extra Advil. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 10:13:26 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Did a header on the sand bar and survived...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 10:04:28 AM »
Wow, close one. I hate the wack a mole, slalom course crowds.  That will usually drive from the water.  Except if wave starved like you’ve been.

I find we mostly get lucky out there.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 10:55:12 AM »
I just took 3 Ibuprofen's about 30 minutes ago, and it's amazing how much it has loosened my neck up. I think I'm good to go tomorrow:)

SurfinJ, You're right about getting lucky out there. How many times has our board been inches from our face during a wipe out, and we never knew..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 10:58:42 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 12:51:25 PM »
Glad you landed it man. And yes, we get lulled by good days.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 05:53:05 AM »
That is scary stuff. Good for you it was not more serious. The name Christopher Reeves comes into my head when I prang my neck.  I put a surf-kayak for sale—immediately—after a similar incident.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 06:28:20 AM »
I'm glad that Labor day is past, Hood River was getting crazy. It seems that individually most people are at least rational, but crowds are as dumb as the dumbest member. I'm glad you're OK.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 08:37:38 AM »
Yup... it happens that fast. BAM!

TD, I am glad you are feeling stronger today... so it seems you got lucky!
Not a good thing to test that part of the anatomy!!

Party on!! :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 04:08:29 PM »
Had a great session today with only a handful of locals out, and a few head high bomb sets. There were some super fast rights. Felt my tail wash out a little when I took a high line. I'd kick out and have enough speed to complete my turn back out to the lineup. Neck is feeling fine ;)
It's not overhead to me!

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 05:20:56 PM »
Glad you're still with us Tall Dude! Seriously, those kids parents owe you a 6-pack.  8)
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal