Author Topic: More Warren Pfeiffer (Gnaraloo Western Australia).  (Read 1745 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: More Warren Pfeiffer (Gnaraloo Western Australia).
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 09:30:39 PM »
I've been in more barrels on a mat then I ever have been on a board. Big fun. Body surfing is equally fun, especially with a plane. Hard to believe that a 3X 6 bit of fiberglass can make that much difference, but it's the diff between being a passenger and driving the bus.

He uses big fins, I don't know how he gets away with that. Every time i try a little bit bigger fin they get ripped off. Mine are dinky.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:35:04 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 06:08:30 AM »
Never used a handplane but would like to give it a go. So do you have to switch hands based on what direction you're going?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 08:40:34 AM »
No, at least I don't. I'm sitting here trying to think of how I do it, it's been too long and a lot of the stuff is automatic. I switch hands with direction when I don't use a plane, but I think I almost always go left body surfing anyway. My hand planes, wherever the heck they are stashed (Maui probably) have a tight strap. I couldn't swtich them in the water anyway. Really all a plane does for you is let you get your head and shoulders higher--it gives a lot more lift than just a hand. That's about it. You're still steering mostly with legs and trunk.

I started using planes after playing around with lunch trays, which are much clumsier and interfere with swimming more. That was at least 40 years ago, so the details are sketchy. Every five or so years I find my fins or a plane and go body surfing, convince myself that it's a better way to enjoy the ocean, do it exclusively for about a week and then drift away again.

I have a surf mat in Maui that I bought from Wardog. I use it on and off. It feels like something I'd do a lot more of when my knees get worse. Anything to keep me off the golf course or the tour bus.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 12:58:16 PM »
I've looked at a few (handplanes) and yeah it seems it would be quite a hassle to switch hands out in the water. I guess you would have to decide to only go right or left for each individual session. 

On another note, researching mats from 4th gear flyers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal