Author Topic: Paddle Cam  (Read 4196 times)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddle Cam
« on: September 07, 2020, 04:01:47 AM »
So this was a new and frustrating experience... :D

Tried the camera in different places, and holding the paddle different ways. Some people do it pretty well, but for me, I found it pretty frustrating. Other than on the toe side as a trailing cam dropping in or pulling into the barrel, the paddle just ended up as a big camera stick, and surfing the board "normal"  ;D Using the paddle for more aggressive surfing just made me motion sick when reviewing the footage. DID NOT like the weight of the camera on the end of the paddle. That took some getting used to!

Like 40 clips today, and these were the best.

Last of the swell from Typhoon Haishen on the east side. Picked a little smaller peak, as I was pretty much doing "research" with the camera.

Board is the Blue Planet Carbon NP10 with Futures F6 Alpha side fins and a Blue Planet 4.6" honeycomb center. Amazing how well this board surfs without using the paddle...LOL

https://youtu.be/XhGSL1D1KwU

LBsup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle Cam
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 04:28:58 AM »
Nice! Hard to judge the size I like the view of water and landscape.
Black Project Texcarbon, 85 blade, 69
8’10 Sunova Ghost, 137L

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 05:26:15 AM »
Nice! Hard to judge the size I like the view of water and landscape.

Thanks. Head to a little overhead in the peak. Shoulder to waist down the line. The link is to some pics from a surfer friend on the next peak over today. https://www.instagram.com/p/CE1Fs49jQM-/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:31:00 AM by OkiWild »

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 09:28:11 AM »
LOL! ... nice 'over the handlebars' move at the end there! ... thanks for sharing, appreciate the effort you put into these posts!
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 10:56:18 AM »
I didn't like it at first, but I personally like the follow behind angle. The added motion doesn't bother me. I like being right there in the pocket. The hold in front thing I"m not a fan of. You get used to the added swing weight. After a 20 min or so I forget about it. I think the swinging erratic motion would be greatly reduced with a Hero8. I'm still using the Hero5. The chest mount used to be my favorite, but it gets in the way when I'm prone paddling. I like the simplicity of the paddle mount and how it does work like a camera stick. Nice waves..Dude. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 04:56:56 PM »
LOL! ... nice 'over the handlebars' move at the end there! ... thanks for sharing, appreciate the effort you put into these posts!

Thanks Guy. Knowing that people like the videos makes it worth it.

I didn't like it at first, but I personally like the follow behind angle. The added motion doesn't bother me. I like being right there in the pocket. The hold in front thing I"m not a fan of. You get used to the added swing weight. After a 20 min or so I forget about it. I think the swinging erratic motion would be greatly reduced with a Hero8. I'm still using the Hero5. The chest mount used to be my favorite, but it gets in the way when I'm prone paddling. I like the simplicity of the paddle mount and how it does work like a camera stick. Nice waves..Dude. 

100% agree on the angle thing. Follow behind is the one that really works, and I'll be doing more of this. You really get to see more of the wave's shape, although the Superview does stretch it somewhat. I hear you on the swing weight. I have the actual GoPro small tube mount, and don't notice that at all. Just takes some getting used to the camera being on there. Also need to figure out the camera tilt angle. Probably different for everyone as we all hold the paddle a little different.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 03:53:02 AM »
Really nice views. And also much thanks for all the tasty content you post.

For me I could not get past the hurdles to get enough shots.  I find it hard to stop using the paddle for my surfing.

Also for me I like to save a record of the session to enjoy later.  The complete rides offer that.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 01:34:37 PM »
Nice work on the paddle cam! Guessing your first go with a paddle mount (bicycle mount)? I hear ya on the frustration, Oki. That swing weight is tough and paddle shaft selfies are even tougher. I almost always ditch it after about an hour. Helps to have a board mount ready so a water swap is all that's needed. The GoPro Session5 is also key for it's small form factor. But to me the juice is worth the squeeze as they say. I like the challenge of getting it wired and frustration pays off when ya get the shot. Have a few! :P

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 04:38:41 PM »
Here I am in earths orbit  8)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 04:44:34 PM »
Really nice views. And also much thanks for all the tasty content you post.

For me I could not get past the hurdles to get enough shots.  I find it hard to stop using the paddle for my surfing.

Also for me I like to save a record of the session to enjoy later.  The complete rides offer that.

Thanks J. My biggest hurdle is that I also like to use the paddle for surfing. Harder turns and bracing. It has a place on the paddle, and I'm figuring out just when that is.

Nice work on the paddle cam! Guessing your first go with a paddle mount (bicycle mount)? I hear ya on the frustration, Oki. That swing weight is tough and paddle shaft selfies are even tougher. I almost always ditch it after about an hour. Helps to have a board mount ready so a water swap is all that's needed. The GoPro Session5 is also key for it's small form factor. But to me the juice is worth the squeeze as they say. I like the challenge of getting it wired and frustration pays off when ya get the shot. Have a few! :P

Thanks Cook. I've used the paddle cam before for about 30 seconds, and put it away...LOL. This time I tried to give it an honest go, and found some things I like about it. Best looking shots, for sure. Especially the follow cam ones like TD says. I'm using the GoPro handlebar/seatpost/pole mount. Several different size bushings, but what I really like about it is that you can rotate the camera. Paying off when you get the shot, yea. Most of the time I think I really got a good one and it turns out to be less than stellar. So I had low expectations for this, but was really surprised at how it turned out.   

Thanks again.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 06:42:31 PM »
Here I am in earths orbit  8)
lmao!!!

@Oki....Good job for first real go. Surfing with a paddle cam is sooo different than w/out. I hit the evening sesh w/out cam. LIGHTWEIGHT!!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 06:36:02 AM »
Loch Eggers added unicorn horns to one of his boards as a camera mount (I'm not sure the one in the back should be called a "horn". It looked like an insane idea to me, but he got some great video.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 08:32:11 AM »
Good effort Oki... I think you got some good stuff there!

It is not possible for me to lift an empty carbon paddle on an outstretched arm.... and almost impossible to raise a paddle over my head, so the paddle mount is something I'll never master. Too bad cuz it offers an interesting perspective when done well.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 05:29:30 AM »
Good effort Oki... I think you got some good stuff there!

It is not possible for me to lift an empty carbon paddle on an outstretched arm.... and almost impossible to raise a paddle over my head, so the paddle mount is something I'll never master. Too bad cuz it offers an interesting perspective when done well.

Thanks Rick. A lifetime of turning wrenches and bending metal has left my wrists in pretty poor shape, and the next day they're hurting pretty bad after holding the paddle out like that. This pretty much relegates the paddle cam to the follow behind angle, toe side when I know there might be barrel shots. Hoping to get some really good shots of that here in the near future.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal