Author Topic: E foil  (Read 11011 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: E foil
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 12:45:01 AM »
This one is saying it gives a boost up to 7 mph. https://www.scubajet.com/shop/spare-parts/akku/sup-package-pro/  That should do it.  It looks like they have a few battery options and that the torpedo gets longer and heavier as battery size increases.  I asked.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:48:07 AM by Admin »

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 08:52:39 AM »
It most certainly is interesting on flat water and almost everyone is interested IN them.  ;)

I was speaking specifically of a propeller mounted up high on the mast where it is out of the water once flying.  Obviously lots of people are riding the efoils in flat water

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 03:28:24 PM »
Thanks guys,

Is this the one?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/racer23/boost-surfing-fin/posts/2935046

https://boostsurfing.com/preorder/

That looks great.  They have lots of adapters and super light 1.7 lbs.  You could use a couple if needed.  Is it powerful enough to catch swell without hand paddling?  That looks questionable in the videos but it would be nice.  It would be cool to pulse while already in a squat or on your knees to avoid a full pop up.

The big question is the power and the speed, is it enought ?

Developers said 2 units would sync up with controller and operate simultaneously.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 04:31:15 PM »
Those kickstarter guys have been updating youtube lately. Testing in Bali.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 10:38:20 AM »

As I said, I see two differents ways on the evolution of the Efoil : flying in flat water using only the power of an engine and the assisted engine which will open up a whole new world, just like Ebike.

French foil, Have you tried it downwind yet? Curious whether it can provide assist without completely taking over sensation of riding swells.

Good comparison with ebike at least from marketing pov. Really like how my mountain ebike increases performance, but is controlled by how hard I peddle. I still feel like I'm making it go just with world class ability. Not sure you can get the same effect with an efoil? Pump assist would be cool if it was possible? Or maybe have a clutch on propeller that engages engine based on drag, speed or height? I'm thinking Efoils are limited to be like a class2 ebike with a throttle. More watercraft than watersport. I'm sure flat water riding is fun but I wouldn't buy for that.

I would hope for something like the boost concept (motor/battery combo) that attaches to a foil mast (instead of fin box) will get developed. I agree with the rest of you that a quick assist to get on foil that doesn't get the way of riding swells would be most useful.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 03:17:48 PM »
we had a whole dragged out technical conversation about whether it would be possible to get the propeller system to "idle" along.  Some folks felt like the drag from the propeller is impossible to overcome since at a given speed, the propeller doesn't want to move any faster or any slower than its pitch.  I suggested that it might be possible to build a motor controller that could vary the RPM as needed to make sure there is no drag.  None of the existing motor controllers are designed to do this.  One can only hope the boost system can do it, but I really doubt it.  It isn't easy.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 05:20:36 PM »
What about folding props like with RC powered gliders.  The props collapse along fuselage laying flat. 

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 05:50:24 PM »
https://efoil.builders/

I'm in a whatsapp thread with the mad scientist in the orange hat in those pictures. Evan from Axis is using some of his stuff too. He has his own folding props that he's testing.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 02:59:42 AM »
Thanks guys,

Is this the one?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/racer23/boost-surfing-fin/posts/2935046

https://boostsurfing.com/preorder/

That looks great.  They have lots of adapters and super light 1.7 lbs.  You could use a couple if needed.  Is it powerful enough to catch swell without hand paddling?  That looks questionable in the videos but it would be nice.  It would be cool to pulse while already in a squat or on your knees to avoid a full pop up.

The big question is the power and the speed, is it enought ?

Developers said 2 units would sync up with controller and operate simultaneously.

To me the real beauty would be if you could get enough grunt to get you foiling on a small sinker board rather than a tow, bungee or winch.  Start submerged squatting in the straps and hit the button as your swell approaches.  It seems like having the torpedo as close to the board as possible and positioned above the front foil would be the best balanced and least obtrusive.  I could see this being great fun for spot surfing on Gorge swell.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 09:57:38 AM by Admin »

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 09:39:27 AM »
Boost just sent out an email saying they are going to start shipping at the end of the month.   Just in time for fall swell, pretty stoked.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 12:43:36 PM »
To me the real beauty would be if you could get enough grunt to get you foiling on a small sinker board rather than a tow, bungee or winch.  Start submerged squatting in the straps and hit the button as your swell approaches.  It seems like having the torpedo as close to the board as possible and positioned above the front foil would be the best balanced and least obtrusive.  I could see this being great fun for spot surfing on Gorge swell.

YES!  I hadn't considered this possibility and now hearing you say it, I totally agree.  Being able to run a tiny board with no swing weight and good weight balance but still get into waves early or get into non-breaking swell would be a game changer.  That's going to take a lot more than a boost fin unfortunately.  But there are readily available power tool options that would have plenty of short burst power and enough capacity to do that many times - and are quite lightweight.  I expect such a system could be build using the components in any number of ~1kW battery powered tools.  Waterproofing is going to be the main issue to solve.  All the existing efoils are designed for constant power draw and run-time in continuous mode.  This is a totally different application

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 12:46:13 PM »
Check the YouTube videos from Bali. This thing will get you over the hump. For me it’d make a sub-5’ prone paddle in possible, if I could live down the ribbing.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2020, 01:00:48 PM »
you already SUP, and now you foil - I am pretty sure that means you can live down the ribbing

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2020, 07:45:52 AM »
Hahahahahaa. Comment of the year and the truest thing on the Zone.

The first week of wing foiling being blown into people’s boats was the latest blow to my ego. They’d just look at me with such pity it was hilarious.

Thanks for the belly laugh.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2020, 08:02:17 AM »
The first week of wing foiling being blown into people’s boats was the latest blow to my ego. They’d just look at me with such pity it was hilarious.
Goll dang it, we've gotta a Zoner "Get Cowboy A GoPro" crowdfunding account...because why in the hell aren't we seeing all of these "adventures" on video? I can only imagine the looks on the boaters' faces when "wingman" comes a calling...LOL :o ;D

Not laughing at you, but rather with you cowboy...because I can picture myself doing the exact same things, and boat encounters is just another thing added to the ever growing list of "Why I don't wingding". :-\ :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal