Author Topic: E foil  (Read 11015 times)

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
E foil
« on: September 06, 2020, 04:42:09 AM »
Lately I got a Efoil, I run a surf school and I do foil lessons so instead of getting a boat I bought an Efoil from a french brand PRW foil.

Two reasons why I bought an Efoil : first like I said, onlmy for business, helping people to get faster at foiling.

And reason two, I think there is a big potential for DW with electrically assisted only, I think this is the futur.

What I wouln't want to see is Efoiling becoming like jetski, big jump, going crazy fast, and certainly not on wave  !!!
But being able to go far outside catching open ocean swell just using electrically motor assisted to catch the bump and then only use the foil itself, this is what I bebieve in.

Anyway, first tried, super easy, I have a 5'7, I start laying down then take off with a little speed, you just need to adjust your weight/foot pressure and keep an easy speed (50% of the power that you can check on the remote, you cruise at 17/20 km/h).
The good part of this Efoil is with the beginner mode of the remote control, it makes an easy gradual speed so you have time to adjust and find your balance.

It is super safe as there is a leash that stop right away the engine when you fall.

The good part is even for good foiler you can improve your skill, for exemple work on your technique for carving turn.

I will send a video soon.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: E foil
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 08:55:43 AM »
I fully back this. I think it’s got to be the fastest way to progress (this is backed up by foilers who’ve done it.) I’m investigating doing a lesson in SD this month.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 09:07:21 AM »
I fully back this. I think it’s got to be the fastest way to progress (this is backed up by foilers who’ve done it.) I’m investigating doing a lesson in SD this month.

Merten -- who started eFoil Builders forum and who probably has more eFoil experience than most -- said exactly the same thing, that it is the best way to learn foiling.

Evan from Axis 'Foils'/Live2Kite has video of his kids riding DIY Axis eFoils on his Instagram and replied to my question that Axis would soon be releasing plans for the DIY retrofit of Axis foils.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 10:55:17 PM »

Merten -- who started eFoil Builders forum and who probably has more eFoil experience than most -- said exactly the same thing, that it is the best way to learn foiling.

Evan from Axis 'Foils'/Live2Kite has video of his kids riding DIY Axis eFoils on his Instagram and replied to my question that Axis would soon be releasing plans for the DIY retrofit of Axis foils.

Yes I saw that, the new/next generation of Efoil gear is gonna improve for sure, lighter, less expensive, etc...

As I said, I see two differents ways on the evolution of the Efoil : flying in flat water using only the power of an engine and the assisted engine which will open up a whole new world, just like Ebike.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 04:05:44 PM »
The two big problems are weight and drag. The eFoil builders are making them for driving around on with battery life at more than an hour. That means the battery needs to be big. If they were made to surf or downwind the battery could be much smaller.

The drag problem is also relatively easy. A thruster inside the fuselage instead of a prop, or mounting a prop drive high on the mast, so when you get up, no prop drag. Of course coming down a bit and tapping the prop and motor would be like hitting a giant wad of grass.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 10:20:07 PM »
maybe have the motor auto kick in when it touches down at least enough to negate the drag?

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 10:23:35 PM »
There is a company here that has 4 e foils. Instructor on 1 and 3 punters. I had been wondering if it was a good way to learn. Sounds like it is. It's not cheap but it's the end of the summer here and apparently he will do a deal.
 They must have invested a fortune,rib,jet boat,jet skis all sorts of toys.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 12:51:04 PM »
Question:

Are there any e foils that have the propulsion either high on the mast (just below the board or channeled into the board)?  It seems like for frenchfoilers vision of a downwind, swell, or small wave machine it might be awesome to have a very reduced battery and propulsion setup that would be very light and entirely out of the way (drag free) when you are up on foil.  It seems like this could be separate from the foil setup and might be used in brief pulses.   Does that exist?

PS:  What if something like this were attached to a second set of US boxes or recessed into the board? 

https://www.scubajet.com/shop/packages/sj-neo-sup-package/

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:48:26 PM by Admin »

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 03:09:56 PM »
I've been thinking about exactly this for a while and even threatened myself with prototyping something.  But at the end of the day, I think a paddle gets you almost all of this for less weight.

Such a device would only be interesting to get INTO a wave - then ride it with the prop out of the water.  It isn't interesting on flat water because once the board is out of the water, what then?  I think that if there is a wave, then there is a set of board/foil that I can use to paddle into it.

That being said, I have been out on big days where the swell is just moving too fast to catch with a paddle.  So maybe for the big long period stuff

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 04:30:43 PM »
Loooking at the existing scubajet above it looks like it is set to mount to a single US box and comes with an adapter.  5 lbs sounds great.  I can't quite tell from the text if 5 MPH is the max speed but that might do it with a large foil (Axis 1150?).  If so, an existing lightweight SUP or larger, lightweight wingfoil board would make a good test board with the addition or a new US box.  Possibly there are other similar preexisting units with a bit more power.  Tempted.

MLB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »
I've been thinking about exactly this for a while and even threatened myself with prototyping something.  But at the end of the day, I think a paddle gets you almost all of this for less weight.

Such a device would only be interesting to get INTO a wave - then ride it with the prop out of the water.  It isn't interesting on flat water because once the board is out of the water, what then?  I think that if there is a wave, then there is a set of board/foil that I can use to paddle into it.

That being said, I have been out on big days where the swell is just moving too fast to catch with a paddle.  So maybe for the big long period stuff

It most certainly is interesting on flat water and almost everyone is interested IN them.  ;)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 08:20:19 PM »
Admin, I think Pono and maybe clay bought those boosters on Kickstarter that mounted like this and did an 8 sec burst. I think that’s likely the downwind jam, right there. No hassles, see a bump, hit the boost and go. I’d think that would make prone downwinders way easier.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 08:49:38 PM »
I never got mine. Which seems a bit odd since it wasn't exactly a complex product.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 10:26:02 PM »
Thanks guys,

Is this the one?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/racer23/boost-surfing-fin/posts/2935046

https://boostsurfing.com/preorder/

That looks great.  They have lots of adapters and super light 1.7 lbs.  You could use a couple if needed.  Is it powerful enough to catch swell without hand paddling?  That looks questionable in the videos but it would be nice.  It would be cool to pulse while already in a squat or on your knees to avoid a full pop up. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:58:03 PM by Admin »

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 12:28:04 AM »
Thanks guys,

Is this the one?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/racer23/boost-surfing-fin/posts/2935046

https://boostsurfing.com/preorder/

That looks great.  They have lots of adapters and super light 1.7 lbs.  You could use a couple if needed.  Is it powerful enough to catch swell without hand paddling?  That looks questionable in the videos but it would be nice.  It would be cool to pulse while already in a squat or on your knees to avoid a full pop up.

The big question is the power and the speed, is it enought ?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal