Author Topic: Winter wetsuit question  (Read 6091 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Winter wetsuit question
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 12:25:36 AM »
Hoi Maarten.  The winter down here has similar air temps early morning, water a few degrees warmer. I make it through fine with a 3/4 so I imagine your 4/5 will do.
The key is the extremities. The hoodie is a big help on the colder and windier moments.

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 04:57:04 AM »
Hi Maarten!

I hate mittens... can't work the paddle. I gave away a pair of O'neill Mitts after one session.

Here's what works for me all winter in New England with temps down to -12c
The key for me is the fire fleece lining.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yZfdA9vCxo

Same goes for a wetsuit... I would wear my lined 3/2 all winter in your conditions.
One trick I use:
NO built in hood
that way, I can wear a heavy rash guard with attached hood under my wetsuit....
the thick rashguard effectively adds another MM to whatever suit... without the restrictive nature.

Acknowledging that I am fat and considered stupid harty by most.... I think a 5/4 firefleece lined suit with above setup would be fine
and... like cowboys said:
New suits are sooo much better now!

Enjoy your winter!!
ps... for paddling flat-water, the gear is entirely different
I'll post a winter paddle gear thread in little while!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 12:20:36 PM »
Old, small, and hate cold. My last winter suit was a Rip Curl
6 4 zip free  flash bomb heat seeker.

Much to my surprise the heat seeker feature was legit. Paddling released  warmth. 34 39 degrees F.

Low forties a 5 4 will be plenty of suit. Am using the same Rip Curl gloves mentioned by JB. Work a treat and you can actually feel the paddle.

Moved to Georgia after  many years in New England..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »
That reminds me, the hottest wetsuit I ever had was a Patagonia wool-lined wetsuit. It looks like they don't make them anymore, probably too many people had the same problem I did--I boiled alive in the thing. Oregon coast in February--not cold enough. I'd peel the hood back, fall in, get an ice cream headache and freeze my ears off and my chest would still feel like I was in a hot tub. I think I still have it somewhere but I doubt I'll ever wear it again.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 04:17:08 PM »
Canadian here (but west coast, so not as cold as you might think).  In general, I find I need less rubber on a SUP than surfing prone (more time out of the water and working harder/less sitting still).

I use a 3/2 most of the year and have a hooded 1mm long sleeve polypro shirt and some polypro shorts that I wear under it when it starts to get colder (Apr/May and Oct/Nov).  If things get really cold (ie, Dec-Mar) I have a hooded 5/4, but don't like having the thick rubber as much.  I also have a heated vest that comes in handy when it gets frigid (does wonders for the hands and feet).

https://www.quiksilver.com/cypher-heat-vest/

I've managed to get away with 3mm boots and 1mm gloves. 

I picked up on layering from a post on here a few years ago (I believe started by a guy from Sweden). After that post, I ditched my 4/3 and went with a 3/2 + optional 1mm undershirt.

I love O'Neill's Technobutter suits--easy to get in and out of, super light weight, and so so comfortable.

A few of my friends use the Rip Curl suits with the fleece linings ("E5 Flash lining").  They get away with 4/3 year round in those (maybe with a polypro undershirt when it gets really cold).  They are a bit heavier with the lining, but my friends say the added warmth is worth it.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 08:07:32 PM »
The other benefit of lined suits is taking them off--they peel off easily. by comparison, my O'Neil TB3 3/4 is nearly impossible. Halfway through getting it off, I start looking for a knife.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

MaartenAir

• Waikiki Status
  • If in doubt, paddle out
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 01:51:34 AM »
The other benefit of lined suits is taking them off--they peel off easily. by comparison, my O'Neil TB3 3/4 is nearly impossible. Halfway through getting it off, I start looking for a knife.

Lol :-)
Starboard Whopper 10
Sunova The One 9'5"
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'1"

MaartenAir

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 01:52:58 AM »
Hoi Maarten.  The winter down here has similar air temps early morning, water a few degrees warmer. I make it through fine with a 3/4 so I imagine your 4/5 will do.
The key is the extremities. The hoodie is a big help on the colder and windier moments.

Hoi, Good to hear that 5/4 should do it. Thnx
Starboard Whopper 10
Sunova The One 9'5"
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'1"

MaartenAir

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 01:55:29 AM »
Hi Maarten!

I hate mittens... can't work the paddle. I gave away a pair of O'neill Mitts after one session.

Here's what works for me all winter in New England with temps down to -12c
The key for me is the fire fleece lining.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yZfdA9vCxo

Same goes for a wetsuit... I would wear my lined 3/2 all winter in your conditions.
One trick I use:
NO built in hood
that way, I can wear a heavy rash guard with attached hood under my wetsuit....
the thick rashguard effectively adds another MM to whatever suit... without the restrictive nature.

Acknowledging that I am fat and considered stupid harty by most.... I think a 5/4 firefleece lined suit with above setup would be fine
and... like cowboys said:
New suits are sooo much better now!

Enjoy your winter!!
ps... for paddling flat-water, the gear is entirely different
I'll post a winter paddle gear thread in little while!

Hi Rick,
I managed to get my hands on the RC Flashbomb gloves. I also have the vest with hood. Bring on the cold :-)
Regards, Maarten
Starboard Whopper 10
Sunova The One 9'5"
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'1"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal