Author Topic: Size down from Moses 790  (Read 9260 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Size down from Moses 790
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 03:58:22 AM »
Your only other choices on a Moses stabilizer will be the 483 or the 400.  Don’t think they make the 420 any more. I’ve never used the 400, but I assume it would be considered the race/speed version.

Looks like kite foils are really starting to overlap with Wing foils (not really in my case). For me the 679 would be a higher speed kite foil option over my tried and true 633. I doubt I’d ever consider it for winging (stall speed too high). I have to chuckle because the 679 is 200 sq cm less than my 633 kite foil.  I can just about breach that 633 in a kite-360 and it just keeps chugging away. Definitely can’t do that while winging :o

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:14:34 AM by obxDave »

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 09:10:21 AM »
You're totally right Dave... I got it ONLY thinking of kiting but of course we're all mad scientists at heart and I just HAD to try it yesterday I was so powered!

It worked! But yes you have to keep speed up... Was thinking of the Kai Lenny video when he decided he was going to start making his backflips... And he was using a tiny little foil... And just figured it was worth a shot.

In big choppy unorganized waves it definitely was not the best option but on a flatter more con distant sea I bet you could get used to the stall speed and really start to enjoy it.

So do you use the 400 stab with your 633 when kiting?

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 01:04:33 PM »
So do you use the 400 stab with your 633 when kiting?
Nope, just the 450 and 483.  I’ll probably just stay with the 483 and sell the 450. The 450 is just a bit too draggy. Also probably gonna sell my 1100 front wing as well. It just doesn’t have enough low end beyond my Gong Veloce XL, and isn’t very carvy at all. I love having a wide speed range since I do tons of upwind transitions with high entry speed and low exit speed (regardless of whether the wind is light or cranking). I think the reason a lot of riders are happy with small wings in big wind is that they are really only jibing. Start tacking all the time and your perspective changes!

I understand your point about having overlapping gear for both kite foiling and winging. That was my goal as well.  Since I like the Gong Veloce XL as my go to all purpose foil wing for wingdinging, I’m having Jim Stringfellow make a fuselage adaptor to mate the Veloce to the Moses masts. So at least I don’t have to use different masts, and I can get the weight down.  Right now I have my Veloce foil adapted to Axxis 19mm surf masts. Works great but weighs a bloody ton (except for the foil wings themselves). That should keep my happy for awhile,......other than splurging on a 70 L FSM board this winter.......

omg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 12:36:06 AM »
Dave,

great idea abt adaptor for Moses mast and Gong stuff. However, would it be even better to make a fuselage which takes the front wing of Gong and otherwise it's Moses compatible ie. mast and stab. This way the very heavy gong fuse would be gone, and you could use moses stabs where you have the option to shim them?

Thoughts?

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 02:55:32 AM »
Dave,

great idea abt adaptor for Moses mast and Gong stuff. However, would it be even better to make a fuselage which takes the front wing of Gong and otherwise it's Moses compatible ie. mast and stab. This way the very heavy gong fuse would be gone, and you could use moses stabs where you have the option to shim them?

Thoughts?

I guess I quite don’t understand what you’re saying. Do you mean take a Moses 710 fuselage and modify it to accept a Gong front wing? I have thought about that, but other than the weight, I really like how the Veloce 47 stab feels with the Veloce XL front wing. That front wing is extremely low volume (just 1.35 l, way thinner than just about anything out there for it’s volume!) so it will be very sensitive to the stabilizer it’s mated to. Maybe it would work just fine mated to a Mose 483 stab, maybe it would take a lot of tweaking. Pratrice seems to do a really good job designing both front wing and rear stab to work well together. That is what I also liked about the Pro XL and it’s mated stabilizer.  Hence the reason for going the way I did. We might try and bore out the new fuselage in certain locations (and replug) to get some weight out without compromising strength. We’ll see. Not there yet

I know the Gong Al fuselage is just big and clunky but I’m not sure how much added weight it has compared to the Moses 710. I recall seeing examples of Gong fuselages that have been bored out and plugged to reduce weight.

omg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »
ok, thanks for the feedback.

When do you expect the Stringy fuselage to be ready, please? And any idea of the price?

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 12:37:22 AM »
ok, thanks for the feedback.

When do you expect the Stringy fuselage to be ready, please? And any idea of the price?
No idea of timing or price. I’ve worked with Jim before and totally trust him, and I’m not in a rush to get it back right away. He does awesome work. I did send him my Pro XL front and rear wings to use as a template to ensure a good fit.  Gong uses the same connection dimensions for all their surf foils.  In the meantime I’m fine with my current rig.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 08:15:15 AM »
Here are some innovative products that extend to use of Moses masts and fuselages and allow you to interchange them -- IMO, Moses should have done this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8eEcTANTCk
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:18:00 AM by deja vu »

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 07:02:20 AM »
Awesome, I want a super fuse and an adapter and yes Moses should have designed this.

Plus made my first gybe and wave ride today and was super close on 4/5 other gybes?

Mike

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2020, 02:56:57 AM »
Plus made my first gybe and wave ride today and was super close on 4/5 other gybes?

Mike

You should have started there.  That is awesome.  How load was your scream?  :)

Once you have made one, you have it.  It just working out the details now.

SWEET!

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2020, 04:40:31 AM »
Haha, thanks Admin. Getting more coordinated each session. Hopefully tomorrow I will have some more success. Trying to get the gybes nailed before winter, so I’m not falling in each turn.👍 mike

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2020, 11:48:45 PM »
Here are some innovative products that extend to use of Moses masts and fuselages and allow you to interchange them -- IMO, Moses should have done this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8eEcTANTCk

I’ll bet both those new fuselages are Jim Stringfellow products. I have one his Moses fuselage adapters for my Moses 633 rig, and it’s been perfect. It’ll be cool to see what he comes up with for a Gong wing adapter.

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 05:44:57 AM »
Back on the Moses wing 790, I used the 450 stab today instead of the 483 I’ve been using up til now and it felt great. Sometimes with the 483 I’ve struggled to stop breaching at speed, but had no such issues on the 450 due to reduced lift.

Was a very choppy x offshore 20-35 today definitely made easier with the 450. Will keep the 483 for lighter winds.

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal