Author Topic: Cabrinha Crosswing v2  (Read 15117 times)

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cabrinha Crosswing v2
« on: August 30, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »
New Cabrinha in the 1:30 to 1:50 area https://youtu.be/SG216BSRMOQ?

you mean the one with two mini-booms?

On his Instagram, Keahi de aboitiz wave riding with a similar Cabrinha wing... which is presumably the new Cabrinha wing. I have seen the minibooms on another wing I believe (...but can't remember which).
instagram.com/p/CEIpigCHHpW/

One can see different views of the new Cabrinha Crosswing V2 at Jupiter Kiteboarding site. https://www.jupiterkiteboarding.com/store/cabrinha-crosswing-v2-p-8290.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 10:12:15 AM by liv2surf »
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cabrinha Crosswing v2
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 10:25:19 AM »
I'm using a  boom rig with my Ozone Wasp 4 metre and 6 metre wings -- I come from a 40 year windsurfing background so the boom is natural to me.  With the exception of the Echo, I've wondered why more manufactures don't employ some sort of "boom" more often.  Maybe as this sport grows and matures we'll see more "booms" being added to what's offered by the various wind wing manufacturers.  Hand placement is just so intuitive with a boom. 

As a side note:  Not everyone lives on Maui or a place with waves and tons of wind.  Windsurfing was pretty much killed by the industry in the mid-1990's by getting waaaay too technical and expensive for recreational sailboarders -- anyone involved in the promotion of wind winging should be very cautious about pushing the extreme elements of this sport -- keep it simple, relatively inexpensive and promote it as something that's accessible to anyone with access to water and some wind.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 10:34:25 AM by deja vu »

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 12:18:29 PM »
interesting, looks like the duotone unit and the hot wing had a child.

As someone who gave an honest attempt at picking up windsurfing several years ago I would say windsurfing killed windsurfing.  Even after I had the basics of sail handling down none of my surfing translated to windsurfing, I guessed that I would need to stick with it for 10 years to actually do the surfing part well...That and the uphauling - which is brutal.

Whereas winging ALL of my surf foiling translates to wing foiling, I just needed to acclimate to the basics of wing handling and I was wing foiling right away. 

Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 03:22:14 PM »
Windsurfing was pretty much killed by the industry in the mid-1990's by getting waaaay too technical and expensive for recreational sailboarders -- anyone involved in the promotion of wind winging should be very cautious about pushing the extreme elements of this sport -- keep it simple, relatively inexpensive and promote it as something that's accessible to anyone with access to water and some wind.

You hear that a lot but it never rang true to me.  The gear advanced as windsurfers improved.  It wasn't an industry decision.  Shapers, local sail designers, etc started building the stuff that they and everyone around them wanted to ride.  It was smaller, lighter, faster, jumped, and was in general more performance oriented.  It wasn't a mistake.  The sport would have died completely if it hadn't moved forward.  Windsurfing is an amazing sport but it does require more wind to be really fun (with the exception of some wave locations).  That means that after a while you become really location specific or you end up doing a lot of waiting.  Other sports came along that were much less wind specific.  Foils are the king in making every day a windy day.  It looks like there has been a decent windsurfing resurgence with the foil.  That is really cool to see. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 03:59:08 PM »
Windsurfing was pretty much killed by the industry in the mid-1990's by getting waaaay too technical and expensive for recreational sailboarders -- anyone involved in the promotion of wind winging should be very cautious about pushing the extreme elements of this sport -- keep it simple, relatively inexpensive and promote it as something that's accessible to anyone with access to water and some wind.

You hear that a lot but it never rang true to me.  The gear advanced as windsurfers improved.  It wasn't an industry decision.  Shapers, local sail designers, etc started building the stuff that they and everyone around them wanted to ride.  It was smaller, lighter, faster, jumped, and was in general more performance oriented.  It wasn't a mistake.  The sport would have died completely if it hadn't moved forward.  Windsurfing is an amazing sport but it does require more wind to be really fun (with the exception of some wave locations).  That means that after a while you become really location specific or you end up doing a lot of waiting.  Other sports came along that were much less wind specific.  Foils are the king in making every day a windy day.  It looks like there has been a decent windsurfing resurgence with the foil.  That is really cool to see.
This is even true at a high wind location like Maui.  Admin knows how light it can be here during big chunks of the year.  This was my first day on my Unit 6m and i was up on foil both ways.  No jibe completions but that wasn't the fault of the wind.  Wind speed around 10.  My weight, 210.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 06:28:36 PM »
This wing has an interesting secondary mini strut to help shape the canopy??

(Prototype)

Genius or gimmick?!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 06:33:01 PM by VB_Foil »
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 10:11:25 AM »
I could imagine that by actively maintaining the structure of the canopy the mini strut attached to the canopy could improve power when pumping the wing to get started and to get on foil. Seems like on a wing where this structure is not actively maintained (such as my Slingwing v2 and most others where strut is not attached directly to the canopy) the first part of the pumping stroke is dedicated to returning the structure of the canopy again before it can fill up with pressure.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:17:21 AM by liv2surf »
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 01:25:28 AM »
I could imagine that by actively maintaining the structure of the canopy the mini strut attached to the canopy could improve power when pumping the wing to get started and to get on foil. Seems like on a wing where this structure is not actively maintained (such as my Slingwing v2 and most others where strut is not attached directly to the canopy) the first part of the pumping stroke is dedicated to returning the structure of the canopy again before it can fill up with pressure.

That is a funny image because it looks like the combined struts have a deep foil shape but mounted backwards with the (potentially) lifting surface facing the rider. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 01:27:33 AM by Admin »

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 01:21:01 PM »
Good observation.  I had a look at a minute or so before I saw it.

I wonder what that does when backwinded (if i remember correctly the non/less curved side does 2/3 of the lifting, or maybe in this case pushing or even accelerating forward)?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 06:36:11 PM »
A few more shots of the Cabrinha Crosswing v2.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 08:11:19 PM »
I like the little upper strut, the larger lower strut looks like a good candidate for a simple boom. It doesn't seem to tension the canopy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »
This wing has an interesting secondary mini strut to help shape the canopy??

(Prototype)

Genius or gimmick?!

I talked with a very good wing foiler today who has used the new Cabrinha wing and he says he is very impressed with this wing (he has foiled with many, many wings).   

We have to wait a couple of more weeks for the official release and some online reviews.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 11:07:29 PM »
I used the new 2021 Cabrinha with 2 longer mini booms handles and they were well placed, plus the mini boom were wide enough to let you adjust while going.

winged surf likes the two mini boom handles on the 2021 Cabrinha Crosswing v2 wings (paraphrasing from another thread).

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 08:40:35 AM »
I keep staring at that wing thinking it's a great candidate for conversion to a boom. Since the boom doesn't need to directly tension the canopy other than perhaps assisting the upper strut it could be a two- or three-piece carbon tube that would pack down. The baffle fabric, or whatever you'd call that flap between the struts, could have cutaways where your hands need to go. Much simpler than a strut and mini booms, and much lighter. Supported carbon tubes under minimal compression and flex don't have to be thick. Attach it to the leading edge and the canopy strut with fabric pockets and support it with the baffle. Damn.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 09:20:02 AM »
I keep staring at that wing thinking it's a great candidate for conversion to a boom. Since the boom doesn't need to directly tension the canopy other than perhaps assisting the upper strut it could be a two- or three-piece carbon tube that would pack down. The baffle fabric, or whatever you'd call that flap between the struts, could have cutaways where your hands need to go. Much simpler than a strut and mini booms, and much lighter. Supported carbon tubes under minimal compression and flex don't have to be thick. Attach it to the leading edge and the canopy strut with fabric pockets and support it with the baffle. Damn.

PonoBill, Are you proposing a retrofit project (cutting off the inflatable lower strut) or suggesting Cabrinha should have a carbon boom (as standard or option)?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal