Author Topic: Wing foil sessions - beginner  (Read 24870 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Wing foil sessions - beginner
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2021, 09:47:27 AM »
After a short shake of my faith and a head reset Iíve had two good sessions. Still no jibe but the Alan Cadiz videos have me trying things and progressing around that.

Gong Curve XL is a damn fine intermediate wing. Iíve decided to ride it in all conditions until I have jibes. Itís fast enough, smooth and controllable and I can ride fully powered on a 3.5m and not breach. No need to introduce variables right now. Adding another fuse and setting up my 1450 for surf foil.

Swell riding in short bursts, super fun. Foot switches from switch to toe side (in prep for a toeside to heelside jibe) and also yesterdayís light wind session really had me feeling confident riding the foil in chop and managing direction and pitch. (Under 17-18 is now light whereas it once was my standard so thatís progress too.)

On the way back to shore (switch stance) I was way upwind so I surfed swell and ran downwind a bit switch. Crazy feeling but very doable.

The big thing I that I flagged the wing and pumped for probably 75-100 feet. This is a big deal as one of my hopes is that Iíll build skills on wing that transfer to the surf. So for the next few sessions swell surfing and pumping are a focus. Iím pretty sure that both will make transitions possible eventually. And even without strong transitions these skills will make downwinders (with the local B team) possible. Though I will remain forever ďunder reviewĒ with Hdip for my lake propensity.

Winging is fun. If you live near a lake or river and the wind hits 15mph even a couple of times a month, buy a 6m wing and get into it. Itís a blast.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 09:50:37 AM by surfcowboy »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2021, 11:31:11 AM »
After a short shake of my faith and a head reset Iíve had two good sessions. Still no jibe but the Alan Cadiz videos have me trying things and progressing around that.

Gong Curve XL is a damn fine intermediate wing. Iíve decided to ride it in all conditions until I have jibes. Itís fast enough, smooth and controllable and I can ride fully powered on a 3.5m and not breach. No need to introduce variables right now. Adding another fuse and setting up my 1450 for surf foil.

Swell riding in short bursts, super fun. Foot switches from switch to toe side (in prep for a toeside to heelside jibe) and also yesterdayís light wind session really had me feeling confident riding the foil in chop and managing direction and pitch. (Under 17-18 is now light whereas it once was my standard so thatís progress too.)

On the way back to shore (switch stance) I was way upwind so I surfed swell and ran downwind a bit switch. Crazy feeling but very doable.

The big thing I that I flagged the wing and pumped for probably 75-100 feet. This is a big deal as one of my hopes is that Iíll build skills on wing that transfer to the surf. So for the next few sessions swell surfing and pumping are a focus. Iím pretty sure that both will make transitions possible eventually. And even without strong transitions these skills will make downwinders (with the local B team) possible. Though I will remain forever ďunder reviewĒ with Hdip for my lake propensity.

Winging is fun. If you live near a lake or river and the wind hits 15mph even a couple of times a month, buy a 6m wing and get into it. Itís a blast.

If you're able to pump down wind, just do the same to get the jibe. It's all about the foil. Grabbing the wing too soon is the issue for beginners attempting the jibe. The wing will give push back that you will not notice and it'll slow the foil enough for it to stall and drop.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2021, 07:03:14 AM »
My "big breakthrough" for switchfoot jibes is: Forget about the wing. I've been flagging the wing out and riding swells in both directions for about a month. How that didn't translate into easy jibes I have to put down to pure foot stubbornness--my feet didn't want to switch while I'm going downwind, and I'm still not doing toeside stuff. The geezer brain resists change. It's well and truly all in my head. I headed straight downwind with the wing flagged, surfing a nice swell. Switched feet and sailed out of it. A jibe without jibing. Whoda thunk it! After I did one I did twenty without a hitch, then fell on the foot switch five times in a row. I did three more successfully and then quit. Hopefully, this is now planted in my brain. Hopefully, hopefully. Gonna be pissed if it isn't.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2021, 02:41:18 PM »
do the same for toe side. turn downwind, surf the foil, slowly turn and add wing power. boom you're going toeside.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2021, 05:11:10 PM »
Now all I've got to do is convince my geezer brain of that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2021, 07:40:58 PM »
This drift til you get it thing is what Iím working on. Crank up wind, drift and surf. Rinse, repeat.

* Recent Posts

post Re: JL Flying V weight
[Foil SUP]
APPST_Paddle
Today at 06:13:43 PM
post Re: straight tail mod and track placement ?
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
jondrums
Today at 06:02:22 PM
post Re: 2022 vs 2021 Fanatic Sky Wing Mast Track Changes?
deja vu
Today at 05:49:04 PM
post Re: September Blues
[Sessions]
OkiWild
Today at 04:45:30 PM
post Re: JL Flying V weight
[Foil SUP]
gone_foiling
Today at 04:12:44 PM
post Re: A question on high wind wing foiling.
Beasho
Today at 03:32:30 PM
post Re: placid? Yes and no
[Gear Talk]
JBMaine
Today at 02:27:49 PM
PonoBill
Today at 02:12:54 PM
post Re: Pinholes and spare bladders...
Hwy1north
Today at 02:03:01 PM
post Re: A question on high wind wing foiling.
Hwy1north
Today at 12:55:33 PM
post Re: The ART 999 Thread
burchas
Today at 12:39:08 PM
Dontsink
Today at 11:24:48 AM
Solent Foiler
Today at 11:01:52 AM
Dontsink
Today at 10:52:55 AM
post Re: SUPSports 8'11" carbon Hammer with windsurfing track
[Classifieds]
AGK
Today at 10:38:34 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal