Author Topic: Winter wetsuit question  (Read 6093 times)

MaartenAir

• Waikiki Status
  • If in doubt, paddle out
    • View Profile
Winter wetsuit question
« on: August 28, 2020, 10:55:02 AM »
Hi All,
So summer is coming to an end in my neck of the woods ( The Netherlands ) and I知 looking forward to empty beaches and winter swell. My question is: What kind of wetsuit do you use in winter conditions in surf. Is 5/4 mm (my current suit) with a separate hood warm enough or should I go 6/5 with a fixed hood? I値l go out in temps down to about 7 C / 44 F. Maybe less depending on the wind. Much below that my hands get too cold. Seawater temp also goes down to a minimum of about 6C/ 42F over here.

Thanks, Maarten
Starboard Whopper 10
Sunova The One 9'5"
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'1"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Winter wetsuit question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 03:07:27 PM »
I surf the UK all year round in an O'Neill 5/4 with separate hood, boots and gloves. The water here goes down to 4C but the windchill cools it down a lot more than that. Some people manage without gloves and then complain that their hands hurt when they've gone blue. I cant see the point of that.

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 06:24:17 PM »
Whoooa!! ... sorry, Florida boy here ... no F'n way I'm getting in that water!!
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »
I always point out that every time you buy a new suit, the tech has advanced. I知 down to wearing a 3/2 (from a 4/3) in winter. I知 hoping in a year or two that neoprene gets to where I can wear a 2mm down to 57ー-60ー mark around here.

It痴 getting there.

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 08:00:02 PM »
I always point out that every time you buy a new suit, the tech has advanced. I知 down to wearing a 3/2 (from a 4/3) in winter. I知 hoping in a year or two that neoprene gets to where I can wear a 2mm down to 57ー-60ー mark around here.

It痴 getting there.

There is a world of difference between 7C and 14C. The key factor will be the wind chill. With no wind 5/4 will be comfy. When it is windy and 7C all bets are off ...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 08:18:12 PM »
Tru dat

MaartenAir

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 11:55:58 PM »
I surf the UK all year round in an O'Neill 5/4 with separate hood, boots and gloves. The water here goes down to 4C but the windchill cools it down a lot more than that. Some people manage without gloves and then complain that their hands hurt when they've gone blue. I cant see the point of that.

Thanks Area,
Good to hear that an experienced surfer in similar conditions uses a 5/4. I have 6mm Ion Plasma boots and will definitely get good gloves.
Regards, Maarten
Starboard Whopper 10
Sunova The One 9'5"
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'1"

MaartenAir

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 12:00:44 AM »

It痴 getting there.

True. Wetsuit tech is certainly advancing. I have used my 3/2 suit in fairly cold conditions and was still comfortable.
Starboard Whopper 10
Sunova The One 9'5"
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'1"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 10:33:11 AM »
I hate thick wetsuits--can't move in them. I have ridiculous wetsuits for NW scuba diving that I despised from day one. even my drysuits were 5mm neoprene--lightweight drysuits are a good way to die in cold water. One more reason I don't dive anymore. I have a new O'Neil 4/5 technobutter 3 that I climb into through the neck with a pullover neck gasket or hood. Getting it on and off requires serious contortions but I love the flexibility that zipperless offers and the zip-on hood is great. I think the shouders and neck area stay warmer than back zip suits because of the thin extra neoprene flaps that pull the suit together across the back. It can be switched out to a collar in warmer weather. If I start getting cold I add an inner fleece intended for that use--smooth outer skin, fuzzy inside. It kicks the warmth up to 5/6 level without the stiff feeling. I add split-toe booties and gloves when it gets seriously cold and I'm good for about anywhere.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 11:24:53 AM »
I'm straight over the North Sea from you, so same conditions.  I use 5/4, some of the guys use 6/5/4.  In mid-winter boots need to be 5 or 7mm, and gloves 3 or 5mm.  I prefer a  suit without hood as it gives more options - on a cruise I'll wear a ski-hat, small waves a neoprene skull-cap, and if the surf is up, a vest with integrated hood (one of the best things I've bought).  Hope that helps
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 12:06:19 PM by dingfix »

MaartenAir

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »
I hate thick wetsuits--can't move in them. I have ridiculous wetsuits for NW scuba diving that I despised from day one. even my drysuits were 5mm neoprene--lightweight drysuits are a good way to die in cold water. One more reason I don't dive anymore. I have a new O'Neil 4/5 technobutter 3 that I climb into through the neck with a pullover neck gasket or hood. Getting it on and off requires serious contortions but I love the flexibility that zipperless offers and the zip-on hood is great. I think the shouders and neck area stay warmer than back zip suits because of the thin extra neoprene flaps that pull the suit together across the back. It can be switched out to a collar in warmer weather. If I start getting cold I add an inner fleece intended for that use--smooth outer skin, fuzzy inside. It kicks the warmth up to 5/6 level without the stiff feeling. I add split-toe booties and gloves when it gets seriously cold and I'm good for about anywhere.

Thanks PonoBill
My 5/4 suit has a pullover neck gasket as well. Not too much water gets in. A 6mm suit would make it harder to move I recon. That was one my concerns. Thanks for confirming that.
Starboard Whopper 10
Sunova The One 9'5"
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'1"

MaartenAir

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 12:58:51 PM »
I'm straight over the North Sea from you, so same conditions.  I use 5/4, some of the guys use 6/5/4.  In mid-winter boots need to be 5 or 7mm, and gloves 3 or 5mm.  I prefer a  suit without hood as it gives more options - on a cruise I'll wear a ski-hat, small waves a neoprene skull-cap, and if the surf is up, a vest with integrated hood (one of the best things I've bought).  Hope that helps

Thanks. I was looking at a ripcurl flash bomb vest with hood to wear under my suit. That should work and give me some options. Like you I also have a neo beanie.
Starboard Whopper 10
Sunova The One 9'5"
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'1"

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 07:37:38 PM »
I live/SUP in MA and lot of prone surfers use mittens vs gloves around here. Personally never tried as I started with gloves and never switched back but I'm sure mittens could make a difference.
When I prone I prefer hood, when I SUP - neoprene beanie
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 06:12:11 AM »
I live/SUP in MA and lot of prone surfers use mittens vs gloves around here. Personally never tried as I started with gloves and never switched back but I'm sure mittens could make a difference.
When I prone I prefer hood, when I SUP - neoprene beanie

There is no glove made that could keep my hands warm in winter. The 5mm lobster mitt is the way to go. It leaves your index finger free to better grip the paddle yet provides more warmth than a glove.

I wore a beanie my first year surfing in cold water. It would occasionally come off in a wipe out so I tied a string to it. It was not always easy to put back on while in the impact zone and the ice cream headaches were extremely painful and scary. I realized I could easily die getting hit by waves in 40 degree water with no head covering so I soon bought a hood.

As I progressed into colder and colder conditions, I bought a 5/4 full suit with attached hood and later, a 6/5. I need five wetsuits to surf year round.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

jpeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 10:30:44 AM »
I am a mittens wearer for skiing,  and generally have cold hands.   I bought a pair of ripcurl gloves that are 5mm outside surfaces, 3mm inside.  They have a great seal on the wrist and don't allow water to get in.  Can't believe it but they keep me warm enough and are warmer than the pair of 3mm lobster mitts.   I can't windsurf with the gloves grip wise,  but paddle grip is ok.   Ripcurl flashbomb 5.5/4 is my warm suit and I don't have any mobility issues with it.  Sometimes wear an impact vest (pseudo life jacket) on the outside for more warmth.
Surfing in Rhode Island during winter.
JP

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal