Author Topic: guys wanna see what the GoFoil NL220 is capable of?  (Read 14619 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: guys wanna see what the GoFoil NL220 is capable of?
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2020, 08:15:04 AM »
I got a good look at him trying to get a cleaner 360 clip.

https://youtu.be/SG_HejeVVAY

One thing you may not know is he giggles the entire session. Great guy to share the lineup with.
Goll dang it...you guys are having just way too much fun up there!!! I gotta get up there sometime to get a share of stoke one time with y'all. :D ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2020, 11:06:11 AM »
I got my first session on the NL220.  I want to get a few more under my belt before I make a more complete review, but I'll share initial thoughts.  I have primarily been riding GL210 for the last year - well over 100 sessions in all kinds of conditions.  I've been using the 14.5" flip tip on a short pedestal, and all I did was bolt on the 220 with no change to the tail setup.

For the first half of my session this morning, I concluded that the NL220 rides a heck of a lot like the GL210.  Similar lift, not dramatically faster or anything like that.   No major change to wave catching.

Then I moved up the beach to a slightly more critical and fast moving section and started to really see the improvement shine.  I was riding the new wing just like the old wing, and it pretty much behaved the same.  Then I realized that I can push the 220 much harder into snap turns and carving arcs and it reacts in a way that the GL never does.  And if I need to put the pedal down it is there for you.

I actually really like that the wave catch is much smoother.  The lift comes on a lot more gently and the foil is more reactive to pitch control by my feet - so I can ease into the wave and work the board out of the water.  The GL was kind of either on or off and much more binary in terms of either slogging or flying.

With regards to pumping - it is most definitely easier to cover a lot of ground with the NL, and most definitely easier to whip around onto an oncoming wave.  That said, you MUST keep speed up.  With GL, I could drop off the back of a wave and work the foil back up to speed with a series of quick aggressive pumps.  I couldn't do that at all with the NL - once it is in a hole speed-wise, there is no coming back.  You've got to exit the wave with lots of speed, and then you pump it up even faster.  I got more 2for1s today than I ever had in a single session.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2020, 03:03:08 PM »
I got my first session on the NL220.  I want to get a few more under my belt before I make a more complete review, but I'll share initial thoughts.  I have primarily been riding GL210 for the last year - well over 100 sessions in all kinds of conditions.  I've been using the 14.5" flip tip on a short pedestal, and all I did was bolt on the 220 with no change to the tail setup.

For the first half of my session this morning, I concluded that the NL220 rides a heck of a lot like the GL210.  Similar lift, not dramatically faster or anything like that.   No major change to wave catching.

Then I moved up the beach to a slightly more critical and fast moving section and started to really see the improvement shine.  I was riding the new wing just like the old wing, and it pretty much behaved the same.  Then I realized that I can push the 220 much harder into snap turns and carving arcs and it reacts in a way that the GL never does.  And if I need to put the pedal down it is there for you.

I actually really like that the wave catch is much smoother.  The lift comes on a lot more gently and the foil is more reactive to pitch control by my feet - so I can ease into the wave and work the board out of the water.  The GL was kind of either on or off and much more binary in terms of either slogging or flying.

With regards to pumping - it is most definitely easier to cover a lot of ground with the NL, and most definitely easier to whip around onto an oncoming wave.  That said, you MUST keep speed up.  With GL, I could drop off the back of a wave and work the foil back up to speed with a series of quick aggressive pumps.  I couldn't do that at all with the NL - once it is in a hole speed-wise, there is no coming back.  You've got to exit the wave with lots of speed, and then you pump it up even faster.  I got more 2for1s today than I ever had in a single session.

Jon, Per usual, I appreciate your detail here. I too have been riding the GL210(In surf)  and have been considering the NL series.

I am currently at 150LBS and I feel like the GL210 is awesome but too large for me. I am running the legacy tall mast and my white trash hacked maliko blue tail. I love the setup and think I am either going to get the NL160 or NL130 next. I am also going to get the short pedestal and flipped up shorter stab.

-red

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2020, 11:54:13 PM »
I would imagine gat at 150lbs, the 220 is too big for you. I’m 205 dry

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2020, 11:10:57 PM »
I noticed something new and interesting this morning on the NL220 - it does much better with particulate in the water!  I sometimes surf in spots that have a ton of chopped up seaweed in the water.  When I first moved from the IWA to the GL, I noticed immediately that the NL series REALLY doesn't like fouled up water.  It'll bog down and come off foil even on a wave.   I'm not talking big pieces that are adding a ton of drag like eel grass or whatever - its more like the particulate is spoiling the lift.  The IWA never had a problem with it, and now I've learned that the NL seems to work fine too.

Overall, I'm really liking the wing.  Just about everything about it is a little bit better than the GL210.  That said, the difference is pretty subtle - nothing like the leap from IWA to GL.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2020, 08:16:03 AM »
It'll bog down and come off foil even on a wave.   I'm not talking big pieces that are adding a ton of drag like eel grass or whatever - its more like the particulate is spoiling the lift.
So funny you say this, because Monday I was flying the Axis 900, and on my 2nd wave I lifted off just fine, made a fun initial drop, popped the wing up, made a turn down the line, and then "Bang!"...it was like I couldn't keep the board off the water....touch down, liftoff, touch back down, pull it back up, wth!? :o

Once I was on the inside and set 'er down, I flipped the board over thinking something'd come loose messing up the geometry. Nope, everything was fine, but there was one strand of eel grass on the mast at the fuse that I pulled off and pondered...nah, one little piece of grass couldn't cause that - could it?

It's not like eel grass is a new thing for us, and I've run through it several times with the expected, unpleasant outcomes. But this time I felt nothing, not even a slight grab, tug, or slowing ever...just the inability to keep the board in the air w/o a concerted effort to pull it up off the water for most of the ride. :-\

Anyway, the rest of the sesh was awesome, and not another problem like that. So maybe these HA wings are just that sensitive to unwanted passengers, and aren't afraid of letting us know it. =)

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2020, 11:27:24 AM »
Another morning with seaweed crap in the water.  Yes, the NL is definitely better behaved in crappy water versus the GL.  I have a new theory - I think it has to do with the leading edge sweepback when viewed from above.  The IWA had a lot of sweep, and the NL has a lot of sweep even though it is high aspect and thin foil section.  The GL doesn't have nearly as much, and I think your axis is also pretty straight on the leading edge.

If there is something spoiling the lift - it gets swept out the tips and beyond.  I'm thinking this is the same reason why it is much better behaved in breaches/stalls - any stalled or "aerated" area quickly gets cleared outboard and refilled with clean flowing water. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal